Rowdy Roddy Piper dead at 61

Xanadoood

A couple of years ago I thought I would try to get into it again. I read up on the recent history and the current angles and everything and watched some episodes of RAW. The thing that struck me was how much of nothing happened. When I was a kid and watched they at least had some action. Also we got Bobby the Brain Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon hamming it up for us. This doesnt happen now. Its boring.

Yeah, the thing now is that you can stop watching for long periods of time, read online what's going on and not feel like you missed anything. When I comes to watching WWE now, I check in and out through the year. Right now i'm watching because they're setting up for Summerslam and there really isn't nothing new on TV at the moment. Once monday night football and other shows start back up again next month, I won't be watching, it's not worth the time anymore. I'll watch again from the royal rumble through wrestlemania then i'll take a break again. It's far too boring now to sit through every damn week.

Piper on the other hand was always must see TV.

True story.

I was in LA this past Friday afternoon, waiting to go to the RushCon mixer and passing time by grabbing an early dinner at a bar in Silverlake with one of Julie's cousins. He was a regular and one of his bar friends was sitting with us when the news of Roddy's passing hit the net. I showed the article to a couple of people at the table and made a comment about him.

The cousin's friend said, "Who?"

"Roddy Piper."

"What?"

"Roddy Piper died."

...long pause...

"I knew Roddy. He was my friend...."

I felt like such a heel. :(

The valuable lesson I learned is never announce a celebrity death in Los Angeles. You never know who you might be affecting.

Edited by LaFellaStrangiato