Jurassic World

Alchemical

in 93 i was 8. And i was watching classics cause i had an Aunt who was a movie buff. So i already knew what a deep profound movie could be. Jurassic park as much a blast as it was........was not it, lol. and still is not.........profound or deep i mean. It's mindless fun. which is ok too.

Mick

Harry Potter is better...

i can't be objective......cause God i'm such a potter fan. the saddest was when that film series wrapped up.

Books were not bad either ;)

Mick

Books were better, but the films were often too great for words (I, being younger than Emma Watson, was always the right age to crush on her!).

And as books and films about humanity, they ad a lot to say that isn't typical of either the genre, or films aimed at a young target audience.

• Like 1

I'm not like, arguing Schindler's List is bad or unimportant. I don't feel qualified to evaluate it, as the only time I saw it, I fell asleep.

This makes it harder for me to see the depth in a film like Jurassic Park when the guy reviewing it falls asleep during one of the most fiercely raw and aggressive historical films ever released by a major Hollywood studio. It might seem deep and profound to you, and maybe it is, but my life and family history demands a little more deep, soulful meditation on what life is, and will be in years to come, than a bunch of nobodies running around a tropical island avoiding big lizards.

If Jurassic Park is the greatest example of moviemaking summing up the entire human race in less than two hours, then I will stick to Tolstoy's novels and tales of bitter truth, and realistic joy, thank you!

But I did find the dilophosaurus extremely endearing haha

I can't make clear enough that I ain't hating on Schindler. I should clarify that I fell asleep bc we were watching it in a history class and I was tired and with the lights out in the back of the room... dozed off. Did not mean to imply the movie itself put me to sleep! And anyway, I hope my experience of one movie would have no bearing on your perception of another. :)

I don't claim that JP is all-encompassing! Just that it perfectly balances being a great popcorn flick *and* having bigger themes (human behavior, our relationship with science and nature, etc). Of course it's apple to oranges trying to rate a fun if thoughtful sci-fi thriller against a film about a real, horrific event. Yikes, I'm not trying to do that!

I meant my "Jurassic Park is the greatest" comments in a lighthearted way, I hope that's evident... I do think there's more to JP than just action and dinosaurs, but I'd never recommend the appreciation of one work exclusive of all the other art that's out there.

Maybe I'll finally get around to seeing Schindler. I haven't avoided it on purpose, I'm just so lazy about watching movies.

Still, strange that so many of the only-a-dozen-or-so people in the world who don't love Jurassic Park were here on this forum today! ;)

Edited by AndroidOnTheRun
  • Like 1

I'm not like, arguing Schindler's List is bad or unimportant. I don't feel qualified to evaluate it, as the only time I saw it, I fell asleep.

This makes it harder for me to see the depth in a film like Jurassic Park when the guy reviewing it falls asleep during one of the most fiercely raw and aggressive historical films ever released by a major Hollywood studio. It might seem deep and profound to you, and maybe it is, but my life and family history demands a little more deep, soulful meditation on what life is, and will be in years to come, than a bunch of nobodies running around a tropical island avoiding big lizards.

If Jurassic Park is the greatest example of moviemaking summing up the entire human race in less than two hours, then I will stick to Tolstoy's novels and tales of bitter truth, and realistic joy, thank you!

But I did find the dilophosaurus extremely endearing haha

I can't make clear enough that I ain't hating on Schindler. I should clarify that I fell asleep bc we were watching it in a history class and I was tired and with the lights out in the back of the room... dozed off. Did not mean to imply the movie itself put me to sleep! And anyway, I hope my experience of one movie would have no bearing on your perception of another. :)I don't claim that JP is all-encompassing! Just that it perfectly balances being a great popcorn flick *and* having bigger themes (human behavior, our relationship with science and nature, etc). Of course it's apple to oranges trying to rate a fun if thoughtful sci-fi thriller against a film about a real, horrific event. Yikes, I'm not trying to do that!I meant this whole topic in a lighthearted way, I hope that's evident... I do think there's more to JP than just action and dinosaurs, but I'd never recommend the appreciation of one work exclusive of all the other art that's out there.Maybe I'll finally get around to seeing Schindler. I haven't avoided it on purpose, I'm just so lazy about watching movies.Still, strange that so many of the only-a-dozen-or-so people in the world who don't love Jurassic Park were here on this forum today! ;)

In class you say?

Makes sense!

And now your point is clearer I understand what you mean.

I don't mind sitting through it a millionth time to see if I agree!

• Like 1

in 93 i was 8. And i was watching classics cause i had an Aunt who was a movie buff. So i already knew what a deep profound movie could be. Jurassic park as much a blast as it was........was not it, lol. and still is not.........profound or deep i mean. It's mindless fun. which is ok too.

Mick

Harry Potter is better...

i can't be objective......cause God i'm such a potter fan. the saddest was when that film series wrapped up.

Books were not bad either ;)

Mick

Books were better, but the films were often too great for words (I, being younger than Emma Watson, was always the right age to crush on her!).

And as books and films about humanity, they ad a lot to say that isn't typical of either the genre, or films aimed at a young target audience.

HP is great stuff. I missed the train while the series was actually ongoing somehow, but I read all 7 books over the course of a week the summer after #7 came out. It was an intense experience, to say the least.

The movies are uneven, but the best ones are really good film adaptations of some pretty dense books. Good casting went a long way, IMO.

Can we have a Rank the HP Movies thread bc I could get in on that discussion all day. (BRB, gonna start it...)

• Like 1