Neil Playing (SPOILER)

JohnRogers

Nine shows in thus far I've only seen Tulsa, on What You're Doing is Neil putting his own sauce on the song or playing straight up Rutsy?

Really no one here at TRF has sharp insight on this, none of the drummers around here?

I'm not familiar enough with the song to tell.

Neil isn't going all "Peart-y" all over it. It's a pretty simple song - it's not like there's alot of room for him to be rolling 16th note triplets down the toms or tom/double kick quads all over it. Comparing it to how he played it on All The World's a Stage - it is actually simplified somewhat (I know he got at least one Peart signature tom run in on ATWAS that he is not playing now.) Overall, they are playing the song at a slightly lower tempo. A couple people mentioned that it sounds too slow - but I disagree. It's by slowing it down a touch that gives it a monstrous groove. Very heavy and it feels great live!
  • Like 4

Thanks I found that interesting and the kind of answer I was looking for.

As a drummer myself, and having seen bits of each show on Periscope as well as YouTube clips, he's playing it pretty straight. I saw somewhere a comment on a YouTube clip noting how bored he seemed to be druing that partuclar song. If you look at the clip, he kind of rolls his eyes and has a look on his face like "I could do this in my sleep." I'll have to see if I can find that.

As a drummer myself, and having seen bits of each show on Periscope as well as YouTube clips, he's playing it pretty straight. I saw somewhere a comment on a YouTube clip noting how bored he seemed to be druing that partuclar song. If you look at the clip, he kind of rolls his eyes and has a look on his face like "I could do this in my sleep." I'll have to see if I can find that.

Here's the clip I was talking about.

http://youtu.be/GEvDlJW0p9A

Not sure if that's really the case or if he was just goofing around with Alex. Can't tell from that clip.

a comment on a YouTube clip noting how bored he seemed to be druing that partuclar song. If you look at the clip, he kind of rolls his eyes and has a look on his face like "I could do this in my sleep." I'll have to see if I can find that.

That is how he appeared in Tulsa with an occasional grin.