Bass Question (Spoiler of the Equipment Kind)

Merely Space

I'm thrilled to see Geddy playing his double neck again. I started seeing Rush shortly after it was retired, and I was convinced I'd never get the chance to see and hear it. Now I'm wondering when exactly he stopped using it back in the day. I first saw them on the GUP tour, so I know it was gone by then. I'm reasonably sure that he was still using it on the MP tour. I'm guessing he used it on the ESL tour. Did he use it for the Signals tour? Anybody know when he hung that bad boy up for good the first time around?

He stopped using it after Moving Pictures, probably because that was the last tour they did Xanadu as a standalone song until this tour (that and A Passage To Bangkok were the only songs he ever used it on so far as I know). During Signals Xanadu was only a snippet as

, and when they brought it back as an abbreviated version in the early 90's it always segued into other songs, so he wouldn't have had time to change instruments (which he didn't do much before this tour unless he needed something tuned down to D/the red jazz on 2112). Also, I remember reading a few times how he thought it was too heavy, and didn't want to play it anymore. I suppose he could have brought it out for the APTB encore on the S&A tour, but he did bring out the 4001 at least.

I'm surprised (and thrilled) he's brought it out again. All his healthy living must be paying off. :)

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

Yeah, I never heard him address the weight of the double neck per se, but i've read several interviews where he bitched about the weight of the 4001. And if the 4001 was too heavy, it stands to reason that a double neck Rick must be a recipe for instant scoliosis.
  • Like 2

I've never seen a 4080 in a music store, but I've always wanted to put one on to see just how heavy they are. I used to have a 4001 of my own many many years ago, and I don't remember it being much heavier than the (Squire) Jazz I have now, though it was very neck heavy/unbalanced. But then again I never toured hundreds of shows with it, so he might have a better idea. ;)
  • Like 1

Like all basses and guitars vary in weight. I've noticed that the black Ric that he's playing during this tour isn't the same one he used to play years ago. Apparently it's a new/old bass as well.

He probably quit using it because ultimately, it's silly.

As a teenager, I watched the whole Xanadu video and he only used the bottom guitar part during the last few seconds of the song.

Yeah, that's the funny thing... in Xanadu I think it was always about stagecraft, having the two of them with doublenecks looking cool. He actually played the guitar more on A Passage To Bangkok when he used the white 4080/6 doubleneck on it during the Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tours (he plays rhythm guitar through the whole solo section, you can hear it on ESL).

You know, I've never actually seen a photo of him playing the white one during a show, just that one of him standing with it on next to the keyboards during a soundcheck.

I've never seen a 4080 in a music store, but I've always wanted to put one on to see just how heavy they are...

The 4080 weighs 21 pounds... on a side note, my main bass for years, a Yamaha 6-string (TRB-6P) weighs 23 lbs... and it is murder! I love the sound of it and how the almost flat neck feels (39in radius), but I find it very hard on my shoulder and back in my current decade of life... :codger: ;)

Edited by rushbass
  • Like 2

Folklore has it, that Geddy fell over one show while wielding the beastly doubleneck... Edited by rushbass

Folklore has it, that Geddy fell over one show while wielding the beastly doubleneck...

Fell over? I wouldn't be surprised. As ungainly as the thing is I would think it would be easy enough.

• Like 1

Folklore has it, that Geddy fell over one show while wielding the beastly doubleneck...

Fell over? I wouldn't be surprised. As ungainly as the thing is I would think it would be easy enough.

The story goes, he lost his balance one night while dancing on the Taurus pedals during the first instrumental part of Xanadu...

• Like 1

As a teenager, I watched the whole Xanadu video and he only used the bottom guitar part during the last few seconds of the song.

Strange because they don't even play that last part of the song now!

• Like 1

I've never seen a 4080 in a music store, but I've always wanted to put one on to see just how heavy they are...

The 4080 weighs 21 pounds... on a side note, my main bass for years, a Yamaha 6-string (TRB-6P) weighs 23 lbs... and it is murder! I love the sound of it and how the almost flat neck feels (39in radius), but I find it very hard on my shoulder and back in my current decade of life... :codger: ;)

23 pounds!!! It must me made of Neil's 1000 year old petrified tree :D

• Like 2

Strange because they don't even play that last part of the song now!

I just checked the Saint Paul video, and Geddy plays rhythm on the final solo, and jams out the final chord on guitar, too.

Oh okay, I thought they completely omited the whole - and bear with me here, folks -

Do do do do do.. da DOOO doo doo

Do do do do do.. da doo doo doo

And etc.

• Like 3

Oh okay, I thought they completely omited the whole - and bear with me here, folks -

Do do do do do.. da DOOO doo doo

Do do do do do.. da doo doo doo

And etc.

Yes, that part is gone (haha, I know what you mean, too, by your doo dooing). After he repeats the opening riff for the last time they jam out the chord instead of do do dooing. :)

But there must always be DOO DOOING!

I love that part, it sums it all up!

Weird that they'd do 11:40 of an 11:58 minute-long song or whatever isn't it?

• Like 2

But there must always be DOO DOOING!

I love that part, it sums it all up!

Weird that they'd do 11:40 of an 11:58 minute-long song or whatever isn't it?

I know, right? In rehearsal were they like "Damn, we need to shave 18 seconds off the setlist!" :)

I was a little sad at the absence of that tiny bit at the end. But this is so much more of the song than the other, chopped up versions I've seen, I readily forgave them.