True Or False! Steve Rothery's Guitar Solo On "The Web" Is One Of The Greatest Solos Ever Made!

RUSHHEAD666

The Greatness Of Steve Rothery!   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Steve's Guitar Solo On "The Web" Is One Of The Greatest Solos Ever Made!

• TRUE! Steve is a guitar genius!
    • FALSE! Hell no! Steve is overrated and overweight!

So I'm back on an old school Marillion kick. We've been down this road again. I could actually compare Marillion to AC/DC as far as vocalists are concerned. I'm a FISH guy forever. I love them man and I have met him three times in my life. He is one funny fun fukker.

I've also had the dishonor to meet Steve Hogarth. The guy is a self indulgent, arrogant politically incorrect pompous asshole.

So yes. I love Fish and Bon Scott. I can't stand Hogarth, or as he likes to be called "H." What a loser. "H" for Horrendous. Oh and yeah, as you guys already know I'm not a Brian Johnson fan either.

Anyway I was listening to "Script For A Jester's Tear" today and every time "The Web" comes on I simply can't wait to hear Steve's guitar solo. Personally I think it's one of the greatest EVER!

What do you think about it? I know there are a plethora of Marillion fans on here!

• Like 4

I love Marillion. I listened to Script last week - I think Chelsea Monday has the better solo, but I reckon his solo on Easter is my favourite. I also love both eras of the band. I was lucky enough to see them in London on the Marbles tour, and along with Rush they were a 'bucket list' band for me.

Clutching At Straws remains their best album - have you heard the "Early Stages" version of The Last Straw? When the lady backing singer just completely loses it at the end - so good.

• Like 2

Marillion suck balls!

They used to be a Gabriel-era Genesis wannabee band now they're just boring Dad Rock at it's worst! :boo hiss:

Hahaha! I get it Duck but I love the Fish shit. Hogarth is a TIT. He ruined the band. JMO I mean instrumentally the band is still solid but man his voice makes me want to stick ice picks into my hot eardrums.

• Like 2

I love Marillion. I listened to Script last week - I think Chelsea Monday has the better solo, but I reckon his solo on Easter is my favourite. I also love both eras of the band. I was lucky enough to see them in London on the Marbles tour, and along with Rush they were a 'bucket list' band for me.

Clutching At Straws remains their best album - have you heard the "Early Stages" version of The Last Straw? When the lady backing singer just completely loses it at the end - so good.

You are amazing. I listened to "Early Stages" all day today hence the reason for this thread! I just love "The Web" a song as Fish says before the song. "The Valium Tree." Sounds like a great name for my Marillion cover band. LOL!

"Cover My Eyes" from "H"

I can't stand that man.

• Like 1

I'm glad they replaced Mick Pointer with Ian Moseley - it might have been tough on poor old Mick, but it really helped the band.

I totally agree. Ian is a great drummer but one thing about him that bothers me is that his drum fills are all the same throughout the Marillion Canon.

You're right! You wouldn't know this, but he kept playing that fill with the syncopated china crashes until the last few albums where he finally put it away.
  • Like 1

I love Fish-era Marillion, and will NEVER understand the admiration people have for Hogarth. I even tried to listen to their recent albums a bunch of times, but fall asleep every time!!! They're more progressive with Hogarth: each new album is progressively worse than the previous one!!!! I will admit that Uninvited Guest and Easter are good songs, but that's it!
  • Like 3

You're right! You wouldn't know this, but he kept playing that fill with the syncopated china crashes until the last few albums where he finally put it away.

Yes my friend! Wow! You totally get what I mean! The slow triplets into the China. Always on the ride. with tom fills in between.

I must admit on a public forum that I think Steve Rothery is easily a TOP TEN GUITAR PLAYER OF ALL TIME.

His tone and his melodic chords blow my mind. So underrated in the Big Picture. Just like Alex Lifeson. JMO

• Like 1

I love Fish-era Marillion, and will NEVER understand the admiration people have for Hogarth. I even tried to listen to their recent albums a bunch of times, but fall asleep every time!!! They're more progressive with Hogarth: each new album is progressively worse than the previous one!!!! I will admit that Uninvited Guest and Easter are good songs, but that's it!

Holy Shit Rod! Well hell! I love you man! I feel the same way!!!!!! I will NEVER GET THE HOGARTH LOVE! HOGARTH VADER! LOL! HOGS WART! LOL!

Dude, I will give "Seasons End" some props. Probably because a lot of that music was written while Fish was still there.

"Holidays In Eden" is a melodic pop record. "BRAVE" is damn good. That's it. "MARBLES" was cool.

I can't stand Hogarth. I hope that jerk reads this thread. He's like Mike Portony with a bit better vocals. Both arrogant pricks with EGOS the size of John Holme's penis. Oh yeah and they both have that same greasy curly black hair.

BARF!!! LOL!

• Like 1

Well there are plenty of Hogarth fans who will be along shortly to disagree with you, but I think we can agree about old Rothers - he's right up there. And versatile too - you may not like the later stuff, but he still plays beautifully on it all.

Well there are plenty of Hogarth fans who will be along shortly to disagree with you, but I think we can agree about old Rothers - he's right up there. And versatile too - you may not like the later stuff, but he still plays beautifully on it all.

Hahaha! Oh no doubt! I just told one of my female buddies that I wrote a few threads about my disgust with "H." She was not thrilled. She told me that she loves BOTH!

Don't get me wrong, I still buy every Marillion album that comes out but man it's hard for be to tune out MR EGO H.

JMO

He was such a dick when I met him. You see I met Portnoy too and he was the same way. These short little men with greasy black hair. Napoleon Complex I guess.

It is what it is.

Ah, see ... I don't go around hob-nobbing with the semi-rich and famous so I wouldn't know!

Hahahahaha! When I met Mike it was on the "Images And Words" Tour. No one knew of them. I saw them in a tiny club in Fremont California and at The Stone. The coolest cat in the bunch was James.

As for meeting Hogarth I was best friends with the opening band ENCHANT. I hung out with Rothery for about ten minutes. Pure gentleman. Down to earth and cool.

Hey it is what it is. I'm a hobnobbing failure.

• Like 1

I like H but I love Fish with Marillion. I put those 4 albums up against the first 4 albums of any band. Show me the goods? Yep I said it, show me. VH, maybe, Sabbath probably but then who?

Anyways, yeah I can see why one wouldn't like Hogarth for whatever reasons but he's always done a good job and even will do the fish era, because he knows the fans want to hear those songs. Anyways, I'll shut up now, Earl. over to you.

Ah, see ... I don't go around hob-nobbing with the semi-rich and famous so I wouldn't know!

Hahahahaha! When I met Mike it was on the "Images And Words" Tour. No one knew of them. I saw them in a tiny club in Fremont California and at The Stone. The coolest cat in the bunch was James.

As for meeting Hogarth I was best friends with the opening band ENCHANT. I hung out with Rothery for about ten minutes. Pure gentleman. Down to earth and cool.

Haha..Enchant. I remember they were auditioning bass players back in the day and I sent in a tape. Didn't hear back. So went my musical career.

I can totally see Rothery being a gent.

I love Rothery as a guitar player. A couple of days ago, I got his recent instrumental solo album "The Ghosts of Pripyat". Great stuff!
  • Like 1

Hahaha! Oh no doubt! I just told one of my female buddies that I wrote a few threads about my disgust with "H." She was not thrilled. She told me that she loves BOTH!

Don't get me wrong, I still buy every Marillion album that comes out but man it's hard for be to tune out MR EGO H.

JMO

He was such a dick when I met him. You see I met Portnoy too and he was the same way. These short little men with greasy black hair. Napoleon Complex I guess.

It is what it is.

I have a gift for you, Earl...Marillion (with Hogarth) and Dream Theater playing together:

• Like 1

While I liked Season's End when it came out (and saw them on that tour), apart from a few songs on Holidays In Eden I've struggled to stay awake through most of the Hogarth era. In theory I feel I should like Brave, but it leaves me flat.

I agree with the posters who say Clutching At Straws is their best Fish-era album. The way the album opens with "Hotel Hobbies"/"Warm Wet Circles"/"That Time of The Night" is one of my favourite bits of music. Rothery's solo on "Hotel Hobbies" is amazing.

• Like 2

So you know TED then??