Your favorite Neil drum solo

YYZumbi

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Neil drum solo?

• Drum solo from first tour (You can hear it on ABC 1974, The Fifth Order Of Angels)
    • Drum solo from Fly By Night Tour (You can hear it on Bad Boys In Cleveland)
    • Drum solo from Caress Of Steel Tour (You can hear it on Stainless Steel)
    • Drum solo on All The World´s A Stage
    • Drum solo from Hemispheres Tour (You can hear it on Black Forest, A Desert Passage and many more)
    • Drum solo from Permanent Waves Tour (You can hear it on St. Louis ´80, Spirit Of The Airwaves)
    • Drum solo from Exit... Stage Left
    • The Rhythm Method from A Show Of Hands
    • Drum solo from Presto Tour (You can hear it on Hartford ´90)
    • The Rhythm Method from Roll The Bones Tour (You can hear it on Mirrors)
    • The Rhythm Method from Counterparts Tour (You can hear it on Nuts And Bolts)
    • The Rhythm Method from Different Stages
    • O Baterista from Rush In Rio
    • Der Trommler from R30 Anniversary World Tour
    • De Slagwerker from Snakes & Arrows Live
    • Moto Perpetuo from Time Machine Live In Cleveland 2011
    • Here It Is from Clockwork Angels Tour (first one)
    • Drumbastica from Clockwork Angels Tour (second one)
    • The Percussor (I) Binary Love Theme (II) Steambanger's Ball from Clockwork Angels Tour (third one)

I also have to add, as a drummer, I love drum solos. I have a good bit of jazz influence and this form is indispensable to me. I am usually asked to perform solos with my band (and we usually stick it in the middle of YYZed! a la ESL!)

That being said, I can understand why others may not like them (my wife is bored with them.)

However, I have always felt that the drum solo was one of the early triggers for Rush fandom. At least in the ATWAS / ESL era - there were more bands doing solos (in general) but Neil's just kicked all sorts of butt! It was just a thing of mythic proportion. Every musician of a certain age, every musician magazine, every DJ - all paid homage to the band's musical dexterity. I think that the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" missed this element of the peak Rush glory - all around, the band were known for their superb virtuosity - and Neil's solo was the pinnacle of that. They inspired a generation of musicians to be sure. The documentary touched on the outcast / geek fan element, but missed the near universal (within a certain age band) musician fan following.

• Like 2