Truth or blasphemy?

Rush Fan in Michigan

A couple of Rush's worst songs reside on side B of 2112, and with the exception of Bangkok, the others are largely forgettable. And I'm definitely a 70s Rush fan.

So Lessons and Something For Nothing are "largely forgettable"? I feel a poll coming on... :)

A couple of Rush's worst songs reside on side B of 2112, and with the exception of Bangkok, the others are largely forgettable. And I'm definitely a 70s Rush fan.

So Lessons and Something For Nothing are "largely forgettable"? I feel a poll coming on... :)

Ok..I'll give you Something For Nothing ;)

• Like 1

Blasphemy

As many have said - even if you consider Tears or the Twilight Zone sub par songs, its doesnt really matter, Just the title track is enough to crack the top 10.

Basically, if you have anything before CoS, or after Gup ranked higher than 2112, then you are probably high. Doing the math, at a minimum, it should be a top 7 album.

I went through a phase within the last two year where I started listening to a lot of 1984- Present Rush albums, just because I hadnt heard those songs a million times. I really enjoyed them - I can honestly say I enjoy every Rush album to some extent. A year ago I probably would have ranked Power Windows in my top 3 or 4, I enjoyed it so much. I love HYF, Vapor Trails, just about everything.

Having given the classics a good break, I jumped backed to listening to the whole albums, and holy crap - there is no comparison, 2112 - MP is just so good (you could also tack on signals and CoS)

• Like 5

Side 2 features some of the greatest hard rock songs ever written. Bangkok and the title track alone make this album worthy of a top 10 spot

Oh man, I don't understand the lack of love for "Presto," which I really like, and the lyrics of "Test for Echo." I once planned an entire church youth group lesson around "Totem."

And the 1962 Mets were a lovable collection former Dodgers and Giants -- all of whom were well past their prime, to be sure.

The countdown is getting tougher as we get into the top half, especially for a band that really hasn't issued a bad album ever.

Like I said in the column, I'm an old guy who played the heck out of 2112 when I was in high school and it was a recent release. But over the years I've found myself drawn to the other albums. Time and place are always important with the way we remember music, and I have fonder memories of the college and young adult years than I do of high school. That all might be jumbled up in there somewhere.

I don't agree with your rankings, but I really enjoy reading your opinions. :cheers:

By the way, you'll be missing a great chance if you don't compare the last two songs on HYF with the 2008 Mets bullpen.

• Like 2

aside from tears, it's all top tier hard rock. the only problem is it should be heavier.

Only makes me wish that Lessons and A Passage To Bangkok were on ATWAS. Everything is super heavy on there...
  • Like 1

Blasphemy...

No 2112... no anything after, including PW and MP.

2112 was their giant foam finger (guess which one) to the record companies that worked out in their favor. Had it not... Neil goes back to the parts counter at the farm dealership... Geddy probably does something in computers.... Alex is a bouncer at a local Toronto comedy club trying to get his shot at the stage.

2112 is not my favorite album, but it has to be #1 for this very reason.

• Like 2

I don't agree with your rankings, but I really enjoy reading your opinions. :cheers:

By the way, you'll be missing a great chance if you don't compare the last two songs on HYF with the 2008 Mets bullpen.

Thanks for the kind words! Will and I are enjoying writing them! And we're having fun debating each other. The trash talking continues through the process!

That 2008 Mets bullpen. Nightmares over and over!

• Like 1