Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

adace1

I hope it's even better than the last album!

I think it will be. For me, only Once and Oceanborn disappoint, and after two beyond wonderful releases, and a superior vocalist, they would have to have purposely made a stinker for this to even come close to being a disappointment.

• Like 2

There's no way this album will be disappointing. I don't think Tuomas knows how to write anything that doesn't fall somewhere between the very good to excellent range. Also, the fact that Floor is the best and most versatile singer the band has had means Tuomas probably wrote some more dynamic songs to fit her superior vocal range. My expectations are very high for this release.
  • Like 2

I saw this posted on the Nightwish FB page this morning:

Warmest greetings everyone,

Some of us like to stay neutral on issues concerning internet/Facebook, but I feel it only proper to remark on a quite remarkable situation. I saw that our first single "Èlan" was leaked on the internet today, and I was quite baffled by some of the reactions I read. I was then asked to make a short statement, and the following is what I feel about the issue.

The leaking of a full album, or just a single song in advance, is a huge blow to the wonderful mystery which is surrounding the impending release of our new music. We have deliberately cultivated this so as to give our fans an event; a (hopefully) powerful surprise. The passionate posts on the bands Facebook page (which were done in the heat of the moment) were no doubt a honest reaction to the disappointment in someone deliberately spoiling a part of these efforts. To suggest that the band or the record label would do this on purpose is very "conspiracy theory" and simply not true. The very thing we care about most is the music on the album, and the impact it will have on people.

With that in mind, do try to avoid listening to this "leak" and any others for that matter. Just wait to hear it as it is supposed to be - a labour of love, the fruit of dedicated hard work and of the highest quality. The way we would wish to experience it ourselves.

This is a delicate issue, which seems to be very hard to address in a right way. We seriously hope everyone would calm down now. There´s a lesson to be learned for all sides here.

Yours sincerely,

Tuomas &

Nightwish

• Like 1

I like the song.

I loved Annette, and now I love Floor.

Such a classy band!

Ok a few spins later...like Toto and Idlewild, my two highly anticipated new albums aside from Nightwish, I am seriously underwhelmed by Elan, and single bonus track Sagan.

I love the bands earlier folk influenced songs, but this is bland, and doesn't really have a catchy hook, or serve as a grand showcase for Floor.

But then again, early album reviews do not indicate that this song is representative of the album, or that it is a highlight. So I am still pumped for Endless Forms Most Beautiful!

And Floor is a very masculine woman, with a strong, hamdsome beauty.

If Nightwish have any sense, they will not lose this magnificent singer. I think in the long run fans will take her to their hearts in a bigger way than Tarja. I like Tarja, but for me she shone brightest on Wishmaster and the grand Century Child. The rest of the bands work with her is largely hit or miss (although to be fair, my issues with Once are due more to the mallcore stylings of the songwriting, and not Tarja. She was brilliant throughout that work).

I looked into both After Forever and ReVamp. Neither band interests me to be honest, but Floor is absolutely magnificent and a part of me wishes she had more creative control in Nightwish, as she and Tuomos could be a songwriting team second to none.

Still very excited, hence my constant rambling. March will be good for me if Toto and Nightwish bring the goods!

I like the song. It's a nice catchy tune that was obviously written to be a single. Floor sounds great and looks nice in the video. She singing in a lower softer voice but still manages to do it with power. The b-side of the single, Sagan, isn't a bad tune but since it won't be on the album, I don't feel the need to listen to it that often. That song certainly is no Escapist, which deserved more than to be just a b-side.

I like Elan better. After a number of listens it's definitely one of those songs that gets stuck in your head.

I like the song. It's a nice catchy tune that was obviously written to be a single. Floor sounds great and looks nice in the video. She singing in a lower softer voice but still manages to do it with power. The b-side of the single, Sagan, isn't a bad tune but since it won't be on the album, I don't feel the need to listen to it that often. That song certainly is no Escapist, which deserved more than to be just a b-side.

I like Elan better. After a number of listens it's definitely one of those songs that gets stuck in your head.

While Your Lips Are Still Red, The Escapist and the demo version of Eva (with a chilling male vocal delivery), deserved to be album tracks. I love them sooooo very much, and would take all of them over Elan any day of the week.

Elan has now grabbed me after a dozen or so plays. Really loving both the song and video.
  • Like 1

I really like the alternate version.

Just feels more powerful

Not heard it yet but all on the Nightwish forum praise it highly.

Here are the lyrics to Elan for anyone who hasn't seen them yet:

"Leave the sleep and let the springtime talk in tongues from the time before man

Listen to a daffodil tell her tale, let the guest in, walk out, be the first to greet the morn

The meadows of heaven await harvest, the cliffs unjumped cold waters untouched

The elsewhere creatures yet unseen, finally your number came up, free fall awaits the brave.

Come, taste the wine, raise the blind

We will guide you from the light, writing noughts till the end of time

Come, surf the clouds, race the dark, it feeds from the runs undone,

Meet me where the cliff greets the sea...

The answer to the riddle before your eyes is in dead leaves and fleeting skies

Returning swans and sedulous mice, writings on the garden book in the minute of a lover's look.

Building a sandcastle close to the shore, a house of cards from a worn out deck.

A home from the fellowship, poise and calm, writing lyric for the song only you can understand..

We will guide you from the light, writing noughts till the end of time

Meet me where the cliff greets the sea...

Riding hard every shooting star

Come to life open mind, have a laugh at the orthodox,

Come, drink deep, let the dam of mind seep,

Travel with great Élan, dance a jig at the funeral...

They will guide you from the light, writing noughts till the end of time

Meet me where the cliff greets the sea..."

Edited by J2112YYZ

This single is not one of my favourite Nightwish songs, but its folk inspired music, warm lyrics and lilting melodies are a real charmer. I am pleased they took a breal from releasing bombastic first singles, this is such a pretty song and I am getting more and more excited.

This song shows a subtlety and grace, two things the band have rarely combined in one song before.

Its gonna be a stunner this album. I can tell.

• Like 1

The alternative version of Elan is strange...cannot make my mind over whether I like it or not

The alternative version of Elan is strange...cannot make my mind over whether I like it or not

I think the alt. version is better.

I will play it a few more times...

Today i played every single Nightwish studio album, and it has been a joyous experience! Such a deep listen to the entire discography makes it really apparent that Nightwish have had a graceful evolution. Fans like to seperate the bands career into two eras, Tarja/Anette (and now Floor i presume), but in all honesty, the biggest leap in terms of musical progression was from Century Child to Once, both being Tarja era. I never noticed this before, but take away the vocals, Once and Dark Passion Play are remarkably similar. I am very excited for Endless Forms Most Beautiful, but the entire catalogue has just become the most interesting thing to me. I have plenty to sink my teeth into, and also have yet to hear Tuomas' solo work from last year. I must change that...

Just heard the new album. There are some really good songs on it but I have to say overall I much prefer the last two. There's a bit too much sameyness here and there are no really amazing standout tracks like I Want My Tears Back or Rest Calm. In a lot of parts it feels like it's just coasting along, not really adding anything substantial to the band's stellar discography. I also feel like they didn't use Floor to her full potential. Anette's voice really stood out to me but Floor here sounds generic and boxed in (except for Our Decades in the Sun).

And as for the 24 minute long closer The Greatest Show on Earth, they did the orchestral parts amazingly well but the metal part was pretty generic. Richard Dawkins' parts on this song are too numerous, but each one is relatively short so it's much more tolerable than the droning on Song of Myself. The animal sounds would be fine if they were shorter but they drag on too long. Overall, I would cut off at least five minutes from this song.

All of this may sound harsh, but I actually do like the album. It's just that there's nothing here that would be a contender for my list of top 10 or even top 20 NW songs.

Favorite tracks: Elan, Our Decades in the Sun, Yours is an Empty Hope, Edema Ruh, Shudder Before the Beautiful, orchestral parts of The Greatest Show on Earth

Edited by adace1
  • Like 1

Just heard the new album. There are some really good songs on it but I have to say overall I much prefer the last two. There's a bit too much sameyness here and there are no really amazing standout tracks like I Want My Tears Back or Rest Calm. In a lot of parts it feels like it's just coasting along, not really adding anything substantial to the band's stellar discography. I also feel like they didn't use Floor to her full potential. Anette's voice really stood out to me but Floor here sounds generic and boxed in (except for Our Decades in the Sun).

And as for the 24 minute long closer The Greatest Show on Earth, they did the orchestral parts amazingly well but the metal part was pretty generic. Richard Dawkins' parts on this song are too numerous, but each one is relatively short so it's much more tolerable than the droning on Song of Myself. The animal sounds would be fine if they were shorter but they drag on too long. Overall, I would cut off at least five minutes from this song.

All of this may sound harsh, but I actually do like the album. It's just that there's nothing here that would be a contender for my list of top 10 or even top 20 NW songs.

Favorite tracks: Elan, Our Decades in the Sun, Yours is an Empty Hope, Edema Ruh, Shudder Before the Beautiful, orchestral parts of The Greatest Show on Earth

I must admit, I am a little disappointed by the two songs I heard from this albbum so far. But in all honesty, this is simply because the bar is set so high it would be ridiculous to expect a 10/10 every time!

I still greatly anticipate this release, but for now, Toto's latest has more than satisfied me.

I will say one last thing: I do not truly think Floor is that much better than Annette. In all honesty, whatever flaw Annette had in technicality (and I thought, on record at least, she was superb), she made up for with character.

Floor I find to be extremely accomplished, but very vanilla. Still, I really look forward to this album!