Miami DOLPHINS official thread 2015-16 - Marino expects!

treeduck

People at Harvard are even smarter than you might think...

You've probably heard of Harvard.

The Cambridge, Massachusetts school is known for a lot of things, like producing Nobel winners, presidents and Supreme Court Justices.

One thing the school's not known for though is its NFL picks. However, that could change if the Dolphins somehow manage to win the AFC this year, which Kurt Bullard is predicting will happen.

Bullard designed a prediction model for the 2015 NFL season that was published on the Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective (HSAC) webpage Wednesday and that model is predicting that the Dolphins will be the best team in the AFC, followed by the Chiefs and Patriots.

So how exactly does Bullard's prediction model work?

I'll let him explain.

From the HSAC page.

The method that I came up with uses Pro Football Reference's Approximate Value statistic, the site's best measure of trying to tease out individual talent. Then, using ESPN's NFL depth charts, I aggregated each team's per game approximate value of what I considered to be the 'core' makeup of an NFL team: QB, RB, 2 WR, TE, Top 2 OL, the Top-4 'Front Seven' defensive players, and the Top-2 players from the secondary.

Basically, on offense, it comes down to a team's top seven players vs. another team's top seven players. On defense, it comes down to one team's top-9 vs. another team's top-9.

Bullard's model doesn't take the schedule into account, which I think is going to kill the Chiefs. Kansas City opens up at Houston, before hosting Denver on Thursday night. After that, the Chiefs will spend their next two weeks on the road against the Packers and Bengals.

That could be 0-4 for Kansas City and 0-4 teams don't make the playoffs. Actually, one 0-4 team did, the 1992 Chargers.

UPDATE (July 23, 11 a.m.): Bullard has clarified that his model does take the schedule into account. That being said, I still think the Chiefs are going to fall flat on their face during the season's first four weeks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25247930/harvard-study-dolphins-will-win-afc-in-2015-giants-will-win-nfc-east

Well, two of those teams did make it to the final 4 in the AFC.

How many days until training camp?

When do the "Fins" play Alabama? That should be a good one.

If you're going to repeat a joke, please pick one that's funny the first time.

What do you mean? Are they not playing Bama this season?

It's probably for the best. Alabama looked good the other night.

• Like 1

What do you mean? Are they not playing Bama this season?

It's probably for the best. Alabama looked good the other night.

You,

Two crack me up!! :LOL: :cheers:

• Like 1