Top 20 Rush songs...

savagegrace26

And there are 157 votes cast for Hand Over Fist on Rushpetition so I wouldn't be the only one.

Why these stupid arguments about people liking a song you don't? Who cares? It's still Rush.

Because when it comes down to it you just don't have the capability to appreciate the finer subtleties in things. That's why you need heavy balls.

At least we value Presto.

I went back and popped in Presto. It lasted about 30 seconds. Clockwork Angels is superior in every way possible

Carnies, Halo Effect, The Anarchist, The Garden are songs that don't do anything for me.

A little ouch on these 3. They are actually good in my view especially Halo Effect. Just my opinion of course... :)

CA has no rubbish as far as I am concerned. But to many "good" songs to my ears.

Rush have many albums where the majority or tracks I deem to be "great".

• Like 1

And there are 157 votes cast for Hand Over Fist on Rushpetition so I wouldn't be the only one.

Why these stupid arguments about people liking a song you don't? Who cares? It's still Rush.

Because when it comes down to it you just don't have the capability to appreciate the finer subtleties in things. That's why you need heavy balls.

I went back and popped in Presto. It lasted about 30 seconds. Clockwork Angels is superior in every way possible

Carnies, Halo Effect, The Anarchist, The Garden are songs that don't do anything for me.

A little ouch on these 3. They are actually good in my view especially Halo Effect. Just my opinion of course... :)

CA has no rubbish as far as I am concerned. But to many "good" songs to my ears.

On that we can agree. I am probably more drawn to The Garden and Halo Effect because they are not bombastic and overdone like the rest of the recording overall.....

On that we can agree. I am probably more drawn to The Garden and Halo Effect because they are not bombastic and overdone like the rest of the recording overall.....

I still think Rush did a grand job on CA. For what it is, it is great, especially for a forty year old band in 2012.

But as far as I am concerned, when it comes to Rush and their albums, it doesn't come close to anything from CoS to Presto or Vapor Trails. I am certain I also prefer Counterparts and Roll The Bones. As for T4E and SA, CA is superior (but only just).

CA no longer grabs me. I know many find it very impressive, but I just find a lot of the songs to ordinary, the production is hideous (I never took notice until I became more familiar with the classics), and the musicianship is just...well...nothing matches the excitement of Hemispheres.

Songs like The Garden and Halo Effect are ok, but they pale in comparison to older slower Rush tunes, like Available Light, The Twilight Zone or Witch Hunt.

And tracks like Headlong Flight or BU2B don't come close to the likes of Red Barchetta or Bastille Day (but I will admit to really loving HF).

I still think Rush did a grand job on CA. For what it is, it is great, especially for a forty year old band in 2012.

But as far as I am concerned, when it comes to Rush and their albums, it doesn't come close to anything from CoS to Presto or Vapor Trails. I am certain I also prefer Counterparts and Roll The Bones. As for T4E and SA, CA is superior (but only just).

CA no longer grabs me. I know many find it very impressive, but I just find a lot of the songs to ordinary, the production is hideous (I never took notice until I became more familiar with the classics), and the musicianship is just...well...nothing matches the excitement of Hemispheres.

Songs like The Garden and Halo Effect are ok, but they pale in comparison to older slower Rush tunes, like Available Light, The Twilight Zone or Witch Hunt.

And tracks like Headlong Flight or BU2B don't come close to the likes of Red Barchetta or Bastille Day (but I will admit to really loving HF).

With the exception of Vapor Trails of course, I agree with pretty much all of this. The Cupcake Warrior knows his stuff!!.... :cheers:

With the exception of Vapor Trails of course, I agree with pretty much all of this. The Cupcake Warrior knows his stuff!!.... :cheers:

Thanks Dude!

I love me Cupcake Warrior thingy!

• Like 1

I think CA is far superior to VT in every aspect. But such is opionions. VT has two "great" songs with the title track and Earthshine. That's it.

I love VT. Such is life!

I think CA is far superior to VT in every aspect. But such is opionions. VT has two "great" songs with the title track and Earthshine. That's it.

I can agree with that but both productions blow in my view but for different reasons. I would listen to CA 1000 times before I would listen to VT once. Shocker I know.... :)

I wonder how Rush would have fared if Geddy had a voice like Steve Perry.

I prefer Geddy

• Like 1

Wouldn't fit in my view. It didn't really even fit Journeys style at the time but they changed it to suit him and it worked. Sort of like what happened with Chicago when Peter Cetera stepped more up front. They became mostly a ballad band. Great ones too I might add in both bands cases....

Wouldn't fit in my view. It didn't really even fit Journeys style at the time but they changed it to suit him and it worked. Sort of like what happened with Chicago when Peter Cetera stepped more up front. They became mostly a ballad band. Great ones too I might add in both bands cases....

Geddy would not suit any other band.

No other singer would suit Rush.

All perfect pieces in a pretty nifty puzzle!

I prefer Geddy

You might prefer him, but Steve Perry could blow him off stage.

True, the masses may have been more accepting, but at what cost?
  • Like 1

I prefer Geddy

Yeah but Perry handle stuff like The Weapon or 2112?

NOOOOOO

I can agree with that but both productions blow in my view but for different reasons. I would listen to CA 1000 times before I would listen to VT once. Shocker I know.... :)

As far as productions...

VTRemix>>>CA>>>VT

The original VT mix is horrible.

CA is a little muddy, not great but not horrible either.

I really don't understand your issue with VT Remix though. Yes, it's a little "loud" (as are most mixes post 2000) but it has clarity and separation and every individual instrument is easily recognizable. It's almost on par with Counterparts as far as mixing and mastering goes (which means it sounds pretty damn good). My main criticism with it is the amount of reverb applied to Geddy's vocals on some tracks (Freeze in particular). I really don't get why you think it sounds awful.

Snakes and Arrows sounds pretty good too. Again, too hot and compressed (lacking some dynamic range) overall but it is clean and clear with just the right amount of punch.

Edited by savagegrace26

It was just a question I threw out.

But I do think Steve Perry is a much more powerful and better singer. I should say was instead of is. I don't think he can sing that well anymore.

And my apologies for uttering such a sacrilege on TRF.

Edited by Lorraine

I prefer Geddy

Perry is a much better singer and I am a Journey fan of course. I was fortunate enough to see them 3 times in their prime...
  • Like 1

But I do think Steve Perry is a much more powerful and better singer.

Agreed. But Geddy is an integral part of the Rush sound.

Replace him and you have nothing. I have my favourite singers who I prefer, but never would I choose them to replace him.

But would I like to hear Perry cover Rush?

Yesssss!

But I do think Steve Perry is a much more powerful and better singer.

Yeah, well he's mainly a singer so he better be. I generally don't like it when a band has a singer that does nothing but sing, but in some cases I can deal with it (like with Journey and Van Halen).

I can't stand that Dream Theater, such an instrumentation-focused band, has a pretty crappy lead singer that does nothing else but sing.

Geddy is by far a better singer/bassist than Steve Perry...

As far as productions...

VTRemix>>>CA>>>VT

The original VT mix is horrible.

CA is a little muddy, not great but not horrible either.

I really don't understand your issue with VT Re.mix though. Yes, it's a little "loud" (as are most mixes post 2000) but it has clarity and separation and every individual instrument is easily recognizable It's almost on par with Counterparts as far as mixing and mastering goes (which means it sounds pretty damn good). My main criticism with it is the amount of reverb applied to Geddy's vocals on some tracks (Freeze in particular). I really don't get why you think it sounds awful.

Snakes and Arrows sounds pretty good too. Again, too hot and compressed (lacking some dynamic range) overall but it is clean and clear with just the right amount of punch.

Unfortunately so is the buzzing/distortion sound I hear everywhere. Can't stand it but my problem I know. Its all good. The overproduction and layering make me crazy on CA but its preferable to the buzzing/distortion....

I prefer Geddy

Perry is a much better singer and I am a Journey fan of course. I was fortunate enough to see them 3 times in their prime...

Must've been so killer. I saw them on M Television

I'm going to go find my New Yorker Mick so we can rip sappy John Denver to shreds.

You should both meet up!

Eat cupcakes

I prefer Geddy

Must've been so killer. I saw them on M Television

I thought they were awesome. It was also something my wife and I shared because she was a fan too and we saw them together. She has never been to a Rush show and I have seen them 9 times since we met... :sigh: :eh: