Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

antiquark

Should Geddy retire due to his voice?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

• Yes
    • No

I realize Steve Perry just sings but I wouldn't want him at 65 going out in front of Journey ever again. I saw them 3 times in the early 80's and he and they were awesome. I have seen him recently singing some stuff from the internet. Not pretty anymore sadly. Its slightly different because all he does is sing but not that much...

Journey is much more dependent on great vocal performances than Rush. Take away great vocals and you don't really have much. I've never heard anyone say they want to see Rush to see Geddy sing. Steve Perry's voice pretty much is Journey. Not knocking their music which is quite good...but Steve Perry has always been the "star" of the band...I can't stand watching that Asian guy prance around with them on stage now.

Edited by savagegrace26

I think the older fans on the forum that were there at the beginning and have been there all along really understand this better than the younger people here. You can watch videos and listen to old recordings all you like but there is a real difference in actually having been there. Those of us that were there from the beginning feel the pain of the decline much more. It's heartbreaking to see his voice go downhill.

The cavalry has arrived.... :codger: :madra: :madra:

:madra: :LOL:

• Like 1

I think the older fans on the forum that were there at the beginning and have been there all along really understand this better than the younger people here. You can watch videos and listen to old recordings all you like but there is a real difference in actually having been there. Those of us that were there from the beginning feel the pain of the decline much more. It's heartbreaking to see his voice go downhill.

The Best Post Award goes to....EagleMoon!

:cheers:

That's why "older" people tend to lack objectivity because they can't separate their personal experiences and distorted youthful memories from reality ;)

Some think (including me) that his voice was much better during the 80's than the 70's. Sorry, but that screeching stuff can get old fast. I much prefer his voice from Permanent Waves forward. Some live vocals during their early period are almost a complete disaster, but the performances and energy make up for it....hmmm kind of like now...

Sorry but your opinion doesn't matter. You're just a young whippersnapper. So get off my lawn. :LOL:

• Like 1

That's why "older" people tend to lack objectivity because they can't separate their personal experiences and distorted youthful memories from reality ;)

Some think (including me) that his voice was much better during the 80's than the 70's. Sorry, but that screeching stuff can get old fast. I much prefer his voice from Permanent Waves forward. Some live vocals during their early period are almost a complete disaster, but the performances and energy make up for it....hmmm kind of like now...

Sorry but your opinion doesn't matter. You're just a young whippersnapper. So get off my lawn. :LOL:

I'm almost 40. Mentally 14.

Sure his voice isn't the same like in the 70's

I'm grateful for that. Rush really became the band I love when he stopped screeching...

Okay that seals it. Real fans like the high pitched screaming Geddy. :LOL:

• Like 2

Like I said. You were just born when the band started out.

• Like 1

Sure his voice isn't the same like in the 70's

I'm grateful for that. Rush really became the band I love when he stopped screeching...

Okay that seals it. Real fans like the high pitched screaming Geddy. :LOL:

I don't care for the screaming Geddy, but he did have a beautiful voice (i.e. Rivendell) when he wasn't screeching.

Like I said. You were just born when the band started out.

Yes. And I didn't "discover" them until 1996 (when I was 21) which means I can be more objective since I'm not influenced and brainwashed by any past youthful experiences. I see the band for what they are now. I'm not stuck in the past.

While I'm "joking" there is some truth to that to a degree.

Memories of how things were in he past is the main thing that prevents people from enjoying the here and now.

Rush is not the same band that they once were. Geddy's vocals are not the same that they once were.

Enjoy what they are now, not what they once were.

They will not be here forever.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 3

I'm going to hope that this topic is a joke

Why?.... :huh:

Some people don't know how to take a joke.

When I posted "why" my thinking is that this is reality or will be very soon. We can discuss it like adults and not hide from it and pretend we have years and years left....

Memories of how things were in he past is the main thing prevents people from enjoying the here and now.

Rush is not the same band that they once were. Geddy's vocals are not the same that they once were.

Would hope you were kidding in the post above that. But I agree we need to enjoy the time we have left with them. They just need to get a new producer dammit. :LOL:

• Like 2

Memories of how things were in he past is the main thing prevents people from enjoying the here and now.

I'd love to be able to talk to you in 25 years and see what you are like, but I will most likely be dead.

• Like 2

I'd love to be able to talk to you in 25 years and see what you are like, but I will most likely be dead.

:LOL:

• Like 1

He'll probably be sitting in a cellar somewhere like a mad professor surrounded by all of his Rush memorabilia, walls plastered with Rush pictures, and his eyes glued to his computer screen endlessly watching Rush footage of all of their concerts. :LOL:

• Like 1

With my depression and chaotic directionless life-style I doubt I will still be alive in 25 years. Actually I don't think anyone will be alivr in 25 years but that's a different story....

He'll probably be sitting in a cellar somewhere like a mad professor surrounded by all of his Rush memorabilia, walls plastered with Rush pictures, and his eyes glued to his computer screen endlessly watching Rush footage of all of their concerts. :LOL:

You mean like the rest of us? :)

• Like 1

Yes, he'll become one of us. :codger:

• Like 1

Eh. I never collected much Rush memoribilia. Maybe a little in the 90's. If anything I'd be surrounded by classic video games and systems and video game magazines. I had to sell off most of my collection a few years ago and I miss it.

Hopefully I'll be sittinig in a cellar like this:

http://www.deltaattack.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/huge_video_game_collection.png