Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

antiquark

Should Geddy retire due to his voice?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone who listens to Snakes & Arrows - Live and thinks Geddy's voice is just fine, is seriously deluded, or blinded by their fanboyness that they have lost all objectivity regarding Rush, or maybe just doesn't hear well.

As JARG said, either stick to just making albums, or give it up already.

This might be the dumbest post I've seen since I joined... :facepalm:

I've seen much dumber and most likely have posted some. There is alot of truth in that post. Just my opinion and you may have to be older to "really" understand it. I realize I am in the minority on this one and I am sure Fordgalaxy and JARG do too but just don't give a sh*t.... :codger:

Well they can't be "raw young boys" forever. You of all people should realize this ;)

I think the older fans on the forum that were there at the beginning and have been there all along really understand this better than the younger people here. You can watch videos and listen to old recordings all you like but there is a real difference in actually having been there. Those of us that were there from the beginning feel the pain of the decline much more. It's heartbreaking to see his voice go downhill.

The cavalry has arrived.... :codger: :madra: :madra:

• Like 1

I think the older fans on the forum that were there at the beginning and have been there all along really understand this better than the younger people here. You can watch videos and listen to old recordings all you like but there is a real difference in actually having been there. Those of us that were there from the beginning feel the pain of the decline much more. It's heartbreaking to see his voice go downhill.

Eh. It's a part of life. His voice is in no way bad enough to call it quits touring. It may be one day but right now it isn't. If anything they could tailor the show more to accomadate his limitations more, but that's it.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 3

Anyone who listens to Snakes & Arrows - Live and thinks Geddy's voice is just fine, is seriously deluded, or blinded by their fanboyness that they have lost all objectivity regarding Rush, or maybe just doesn't hear well.

I've seen much dumber and most likely have posted some. There is alot of truth in that post. Just my opinion and you may have to be older to "really" understand it. I realize I am in the minority on this one and I am sure Fordgalaxy and JARG do too but just don't give a sh*t.... :codger:

Well they can't be "raw young boys" forever.

Which is why retirement exists.

• Like 1

So what are you waiting for?

My IRAs need to be fatter. I'd retire tomorrow if I could afford it.

My IRAs need to be fatter. I'd retire tomorrow if I could afford it.

Guess The Boys are waiting for the same.... ;)
  • Like 2

Their shows sell and they put on a great show.Why should they retire? Because of your "standards"? I've never heard anyone complain about his vocals after a show or wanted a refund. Why stop something that's in demand and people enjoy?

No need to panic. The odds of Geddy reading this thread and saying, "Well that seals the deal. I'm done with touring" is vanishingly close to zero.

• Like 5

Their shows sell and they put on a great show.Why should they retire? Because of your "standards"? I've never heard anyone complain about his vocals after a show or wanted a refund. Why stop something that's in demand and people enjoy?

No need to panic. The odds of Geddy reading this thread and saying, "Well that seals the deal. I'm done with touring" is vanishingly close to zero.

But....just in case he is....

Hiya, Geddy! :)

• Like 4

But....just in case he is....

Hiya, Geddy! :)

Keep trying!! :codger:
  • Like 2

The Best Post Award goes to....EagleMoon!

:cheers:

• Like 3

Their live dvd's are another story. We're specifically talking about live performance not the live releases. Does his vocal idiosyncrasies actually bother anyone while they're at the show?

Hey!! :rage: No I agree. This subject is near and dear to her.... :)
  • Like 2

Sure his voice isn't the same like in the 70's, but I'm very glad every time I see the boys live. It's always a good feeling when the house lights go down and three shadows appear on the stage. Goosebump moments. The older I get, the more it touches me to see these folks rocking out and they're still better than 95% of whatever bands are around nowadays.

Shit, :rush: rocks endlessly. :hail:

• Like 4

That's why "older" people tend to lack objectivity because they can't separate their personal experiences and distorted youthful memories from reality ;)

Some think (including me) that his voice was much better during the 80's than the 70's. Sorry, but that screeching stuff can get old fast. I much prefer his voice from Permanent Waves forward. Some live vocals during their early period are almost a complete disaster, but the performances and energy make up for it....hmmm kind of like now...

• Like 2

Their live dvd's are another story. We're specifically talking about live performance not the live releases. Does his vocal idiosyncrasies actually bother anyone while they're at the show?

Yeah, they bother me. Like I said, I go to shows out of some weird sense of loyalty (or maybe just some of Pavlovian thing), but Geddy's voice is cringe-worthy even then. The same is getting true for Alex's lead work. Peart can still drum well and Geddy's bass playing is still amazing, but oy, his vocals are hard to endure.

Yeah, they bother me. Like I said, I go to shows out of some weird sense of loyalty (or maybe just some of Pavlovian thing), but Geddy's voice is cringe-worthy even then. The same is getting true for Alex's lead work. Peart can still drum well and Geddy's bass playing is still amazing, but oy, his vocals are hard to endure.

I saw Rush during the VT tour and R30 but missed the S&A tour. When I went to the Time Machine Tour I noticed something sounded different...I attributed it his vocals being too loud in the mix and where I was sitting (it was in the upper decks). I could not understand anything he was singing which concerned me because I brought a friend with me who had never seen Rush live before. Something was off. I enjoyed the show immensely (minus the somehwhat boring first set)...I get what you're saying to a degree. But do i think they should retire? Hell no.

I don't recall any of his vocals bothering me during the CA show in Las Vegas. But again the show was so loud that it was really hard to discern anything too well. The shows I've been to the sound is usually so loud that it's hard to decipher specific details, it just all meshes together.

I saw Rush during the VT tour and R30 but missed the S&A tour. When I went to the Time Machine Tour I noticed something sounded different...I attributed it his vocals being too loud in the mix and where I was sitting (it was in the upper decks). I could not understand anything he was singing which concerned me because I brought a friend with me who had never seen Rush live before. Something was off. I enjoyed the show immensely (minus the somehwhat boring first set)...I get what you're saying to a degree. But do i think they should retire? Hell no.

I don't recall any of his vocals bothering me during the CA show in Las Vegas. But again the show was so loud that it was really hard to discern anything too well. The shows I've been to the sound is usually so loud that it's hard to decipher specific details, it just all meshes together.

Don't get me started on their piss-poor mixes these days!

• Like 1

I think that's a much bigger problem. Start a thread about it...

Sure his voice isn't the same like in the 70's, but I'm very glad every time I see the boys live. It's always a good feeling when the house lights go down and three shadows appear on the stage. Goosebump moments. The older I get, the more it touches me to see these folks rocking out and they're still better than 95% of whatever bands are around nowadays.

Shit, :rush: rocks endlessly. :hail:

:goodone:

It doesn't bother me one bit,

I feel the same way, I look at like I was one of the fortunate folks to see them back in the early days. Father time has his way with all of us and Rush is no different. I just go with the flow and feel lucky enough to see that they are still out their kicking some a**!!!! :codger: :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

I realize Steve Perry just sings but I wouldn't want him at 65 going out in front of Journey ever again. I saw them 3 times in the early 80's and he and they were awesome. I have seen him recently singing some stuff from the internet. Not pretty anymore sadly. Its slightly different because all he does is sing but not that much... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Please get started.... :madra: :popcorn: