Am I the only one who likes High Water?

savagegrace26

Maybe there is something wrong with me. I am going to listen to it again. Tonight....

Just tried it again. Nothing bad and nothing really good.... :huh: Just my opinion

Headphones? It's better with headphones...in the dark.

:smoke:

Lots of things are better in the dark. :)

• Like 2

Maybe there is something wrong with me. I am going to listen to it again. Tonight....

Just tried it again. Nothing bad and nothing really good.... :huh: Just my opinion

Headphones? It's better with headphones...in the dark.

:smoke:

Lots of things are better in the dark. :)

Yes...

I like High Water too. I'm not thrilled about that song but nonetheless I like it. It doesn't help that it comes after Tai Shan and sometimes I'm too lazy to skip that song on my turntable, so many times the album just ends there.

Narp, I guess what I like about it is the progression throughout. No chorus or verse is played the same by either one of the 3. Even the lyrics progress as a bit of a short story. Ok, so the :53 second intro before the first lyric may be a tad long, but still. It's not flashy. It's not catchy. But to me it's Rush - simple but complex.

Narp, I guess what I like about it is the progression throughout. No chorus or verse is played the same by either one of the 3. Even the lyrics progress as a bit of a short story. Ok, so the :53 second intro before the first lyric may be a tad long, but still. It's not flashy. It's not catchy. But to me it's Rush - simple but complex.

I'll keep at it. You never know I may look forward to hearing it one day. Second Nature just blew me away after about two listens. Open Secrets took about three....

I'll keep at it. You never know I may look forward to hearing it one day. Second Nature just blew me away after about two listens. Open Secrets took about three....

Does anyone know how many listens it takes before you start liking Tai Shan?

It only took me one...:smoke:

It only took me one... :smoke:

And was that experience helped along by anything . . . ?

• Like 2

I actually liked Tai Shan as well straight from the first listen.

Lyrically, HYF is one of Neil's best as an entire set. Correct if I'm wrong, but lyrically it was really one of his first to show a lighter, emotionally personal side of his writing. That blew my mind.

Now to put it in proper perspective, I was 19 and freshly new to a world outside my neighborhood. I started with P/G when I was 15-16. Maybe I didn't know any better. Lol.

So wait - if I'm reading these correctly, there are more than one of you who think all songs on HYF are good except the last two? I don't get that. What's so different about Second Nature compared to High Water? Don't get me wrong, I love both. I'm just curious as to why some of you feel SN is good but HW isn't.

Second Nature is absolutely beautiful. Weird. I had totally forgotten that song until someone mentioned it here a month or so ago. So pretty.

High Water... not so much. It grabs me on no level at all.

• Like 2

It only took me one... :smoke:

And was that experience helped along by anything . . . ?

Oh yeah, had to make sure my third eye was wide open for that one...

I like High Water. I like the singing and the sound. I think Hold Your Fire has a great vocal sound for Geddy.

I agree, Geddy really killed the vocal melodies/arrangements on HYF
  • Like 1

I have a suggestion for those not high on this song; crank it up with headphones or in a car and just focus on the drums. Don't listen for guitar or bass or even the vocals. Follow the drums. I think it will enhance your experience.
  • Like 1

I have a suggestion for those not high on this song; crank it up with headphones or in a car and just focus on the drums. Don't listen for guitar or bass or even the vocals. Follow the drums. I think it will enhance your experience.

Any song where I have to block out 3/4's of the instruments to enhance my listening experience is probably not for me. Drums is the only instrument I don't play. :huh:

• Like 2

So wait - if I'm reading these correctly, there are more than one of you who think all songs on HYF are good except the last two? I don't get that. What's so different about Second Nature compared to High Water? Don't get me wrong, I love both. I'm just curious as to why some of you feel SN is good but HW isn't.

Second Nature is absolutely beautiful. Weird. I had totally forgotten that song until someone mentioned it here a month or so ago. So pretty.

High Water... not so much. It grabs me on no level at all.

Love both!! :D