I'm thinking about gutting one of my guitars

The Analog Grownup

Yep. When you aren't happy with a guitar, your options are to upgrade it, or sell it and get another guitar.

Well, there's a third option that is very popular. You screw it to the wall over your kitchen table, and invite your friends to eat at "the Hard Rock Cafe."

Or the 4th option called Hendrixing. Burn it with fire. ;)

Talking of that, why on earth did he set it on fire?

Because he was trying to compete with Pete Townshend of The Who.

Did he do that too?

Yep. When you aren't happy with a guitar, your options are to upgrade it, or sell it and get another guitar.

Well, there's a third option that is very popular. You screw it to the wall over your kitchen table, and invite your friends to eat at "the Hard Rock Cafe."

Did he do that too?

I don't think Pete ever did, but there was an arms race of sensationalism between those two for a bit.

Did he do that too?

Pete always smashed his guitars on stage but he had talked about setting one on fire during one of the big festival shows. Hendrix heard him talking about it and since he was on first he did it before Pete had a chance. From what I remember, Pete was rather pissed.

Did he do that too?

Pete always smashed his guitars on stage but he had talked about setting one on fire during one of the big festival shows. Hendrix heard him talking about it and since he was on first he did it before Pete had a chance. From what I remember, Pete was rather pissed.

The Who and Hendrix were signed to the same representation and were often appearing together. (Chas Chandler formerly of the Animals, was managing them.) They were both to perform in London at a show, and were talking to reporters. They asked what Jimi was going to do to top Townshend smashing guitars, and Jimi suggested smashing something bigger. One of the reporters said something like, "well you could set your guitar on fire." So, he did. (Earlier in the year, before he famously did it again at the Monterey Pop festival.)

He was pretty tough on guitars, but also I'm sure Fender gave them to him. The more exposure he got, the more money he made, and he could buy or get free twice as many quitars as he destroyed.

Also, I remember seeing a funny interview, I think with Jerry Garcia - somebody from the Dead. He talked about playing at Monterey Pop. The Grateful Dead was between the Who and Hendrix, and they only played a few songs. Garcia said something like, "yeah, we were pretty tame. The Who came out and smashed up all their instruments, we came out - strum strum strum - and played our little folk songs. Then Hendrix came out and set his guitar on fire."

Edited by Rush-O-Matic
  • Like 1

So far I think I might go with two volumes and one tone. The tone knob will be to balance the overall tone to that of my Les Paul, and two different volumes can give some interesting sounds. I could use a blend pot instead of a tone pot also.

I saw a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro bridge pickup for cheap, would that work well as a coil tapped pickup?

Duncans come in both dual and multi conductor depending on the model. It's got to have 4 wires to tap otherwise you have to physically tap the coils which means cutting the coil wire connecting the two coils which is SERIOUSLY old school. It can also destroy the pickup in the wrong hands. That's where the term "tap" comes from for this function. Dual conductor looks like one wire because the shield is the ground (woven metallic fabric around the plastic coating of the core wire- the core wire is the positive). Check out the Duncan website to see if that model has a 4 wire version then ask the seller if it that type.