Make your own (improved) track orders!

Entre_Perpetuo

So in a post I recently made in another thread, I make an anecdote about Moving Pictures and how I believe the tracks on it should have been ordered. This gave me another cool idea that I'm not certain has been done before. Why not make a new thread out of it?

So here is your task fellow Rush fanatics. Choose a Rush album (or multiple Rush albums) that you believe you can improve the track order on, and post your new version here! I shall begin with what I believe to be the more perfect version of what is possibly Rush's most perfect album, Moving Pictures!

Moving Pictures [alternate (improved) track order]

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Why does it matter how the tracks are listed on the album? Only album I see where it matters is A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres (the Cygnus X-1 songs) and they are already correct.

Why does it matter how the tracks are listed on the album? Only album I see where it matters is A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres (the Cygnus X-1 songs) and they are already correct.

Really? It affects the entire listening experience. How it flows. Thought goes into this and it's an art in itself.

Vapor Trails has serious track order issues. Too many stronger songs are near the end when they should be on "side a" (Earthshine, Freeze, Nocturne). I never liked that Peacable kingdom->Stars Look Down->How It Is sequence

Edited by savagegrace26

Hemispheres:

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Circumstances

3. The Trees

4. Hemispheres

Aside from throwing off the Cygnus I into Cygnus II transition between albums, I actually kinda like this order. I've always though La Villa (despite its length) ended a bit abruptly to be the last song on the album. Cool!

• Like 1

Really? It affects the entire listening experience. How it flows. Thought goes into this and it's an art in itself.

Vapor Trails has serious track order issues. Too many stronger songs are near the end when they should be on "side a" (Earthshine, Freeze, Nocturne). I never liked that Peacable kingdom->Stars Look Down->How It Is

This

And there is no "correct". Cygnus X-1 book II does not have to follow book I directly, just like The Necromancer doesnt follow By-Tor and all of the fear series arent in consecutive order on the same album....I think people can figure it out.
  • Like 1

Hemispheres:

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Circumstances

3. The Trees

4. Hemispheres

Aside from throwing off the Cygnus I into Cygnus II transition between albums, I actually kinda like this order. I've always though La Villa (despite its length) ended a bit abruptly to be the last song on the album. Cool!

Yes, I discussed this recently. I think this is a much better order. La Villa eases you into the album and Hemispheres is an excellent finale. Hemispheres is too much to start the album off with.

• Like 1

And there is no "correct". Cygnus X-1 book II does not have to follow book I directly, just like The Necromancer doesnt follow By-Tor and all of the fear series arent in consecutive order on the same album....I think people can figure it out.

Yeah, but I know a lot of people on here can't listen to book I without listening to Book II right after it, though the storyline doesn't appear to be cohesive between the two till about midway through Book II.

Hemispheres:

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Circumstances

3. The Trees

4. Hemispheres

Yes, I discussed this recently. I think this is a much better order. La Villa eases you into the album and Hemispheres is an excellent finale. Hemispheres is too much to start the album off with.

Maybe that's why I've never liked Hemispheres as much as most of the other "classic" albums...I'll have to try this order. Thanks :)

Man, just a few posts and we've already rearranged the track orders of TRF's two favorite and often considered most perfect albums. This thread's on a role! (Let the controversy begin...)

I just know HYF is in the right order. No need to skip...

Hey. So you sorta like HYF now right? Has Power Windows grown on you at all?

I have always liked Power Windows. That was the last Rush album I bought before hybernation...

Edit: I would say I more than sort of like HYF at this point. 8 really strong songs there..

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 4

I have always liked Power Windows. That was the last Rush album I bought before hybernation...

Edit: I would say I more than sort of like HYF at this point. 8 really strong songs there..

Ok. I recall you saying that you didn't like that sound in general (The POW/HYF synth sound) but I guess you like most of the songs on Power Windows? Any you dislike or not crazy about?

It seems that your taste matches mine on the synth era now, save for Red Lenses (Which admittedly isn't for everyone). Curious to know if there are any on Power Windows you don't like...?

Edited by len(songs)

It seems that your taste matches mine on the synth era now, save for Red Lenses (Which admittedly isn't for everyone). Curious to know if there are any on Power Windows you don't like...?

Kind of similar to HYF. The last two I could do without but they are listenable at least. The opening six are strong in my view...

• Like 1

I would rearrange Hold Your Fire a bit. This list is assuming that all tracks must stay on the album

Side 1

1. Force 10

2. Turn The Page

3. Open Secrets

4. High Water

5. Lock and Key

Side 2

6. Time Stand Still

7. Second Nature

8. Tai Shan

9. Mission

10. Prime Mover

Makes a good reason to listen start to finish and a better rise and fall to the album, rather than a general fall (I am speaking in emotional sense, not how good the songs are by the way.

• Like 2

Kind of similar to HYF. The last two I could do without but they are listenable at least. The opening six are strong in my view...

Hmm. I agree on Emotion Detector, but I've learned to like Mystic Rhythms a little. Still my second least favorite from the album, but IMO definitely not Tai'Shan/High Water level (though I used to think it was).

I would rearrange Hold Your Fire a bit. This list is assuming that all tracks must stay on the album

Side 1

1. Force 10

2. Turn The Page

3. Open Secrets

4. High Water

5. Lock and Key

Side 2

6. Time Stand Still

7. Second Nature

8. Tai Shan

9. Mission

10. Prime Mover

Makes a good reason to listen start to finish and a better rise and fall to the album, rather than a general fall (I am speaking in emotional sense, not how good the songs are by the way.

But then you need to skip and you can't just stop the record after Turn The Page. Maybe:

1. Force Ten

2. TTP

3. Open Secrets

4. Lock and Key

5. Time Stand Still

6. Second Nature

7. Prime Mover

8. Mission (The closing solo is a great way to end the album for us 8-songers)

And the last two don't matter.

Roll The Bones:

Where's My Thing?

Bravado

Dreamline

Roll The Bones

The Big Wheel

Heresy

Ghost Of A Chance

And the rest don't matter; just place them in any order you want at the end.

Edited by len(songs)

Animate

Stick It Out (I don't like the song but it works well after Animate kind of like with Bravado)

Cut To The Chase

Leave That Thing Alone

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Alien Shore

Double Agent

Cold Fire

The Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

That way I can skip the last three (and for Narpski the last four unless he liked Everyday Glory which I'm not sure about)

Edited by len(songs)