Which band that started their recording career in 1974 will retire first?

treeduck

Which band who started their recording career in 1974 will retire first?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which band who started their recording career in 1974 will retire first?

• RUSH
    • Judas Priest
    • KISS
    • Kansas

I really enjoyed the Kiss reunion tours. I think I went to 3-4 shows with the original line up (Including opening night at Tiger Stadium). But they totally lost me when they dressed Eric and Tommy in Peter and Ace's gear.

And seeing some vids on YT of recent tours it's pretty clear Paul doesn't have it anymore.

Time to hang it up and call it a good run.

(or dress Nick in Gene's gear, get a new Paul and call it the KISS EXPERIENCE.. which I would be at least interested in seeing)

With me, even though this is a Rush forum, I can talk about this forever. I know that Ace and Peter are the original members, but Eric and Tommy have each been there longer than the member they are "replacing". They deserve more respect than what people give them.

Tommy and Eric are both better musicians, especially Eric. Eric's almost too skilled as a drummer to play Kiss songs. Peter Criss's stuff was pretty simple. Imagine our dear Pratt sitting down to play some stuff from Def Leppard.

Still, they should hang it up. Paul is terrible nowadays. Really hurts after listening to their performance with the Australian Symphony, which was wonderful, and to hear him now...

I agree 100%! That would be a site! Haha Peart playing "Photograph" haha. Yeah Paul can't hit the notes or even sound good anymore.

• Like 1

This poll begs the existential question "If a band retires, but no one cares, did they really retire?" I ask because if Judas or Kansas were to call it quits, not sure that would get much mention beyond their own website and maybe a few news outlets would place it as the very last story for their entertainment section. But if Rush or Kiss closes down, that would be pretty big news.

The way I see it, Rush would go before KISS because KISS generates so much money, they will find ways to stay together even after Gene Simmons is Dust in the Wind. He will come up with a webcam where you can actually stare at his headstone all day for the low price of $9.95/year. Payable directly into his KISS casket of course. Bottom line, not sure who will retire first but KISS will be last.

Edited by jjgittes

This poll begs the existential question "If a band retires, but no one cares, did they really retire?" I ask because if Judas or Kansas were to call it quits, not sure that would get much mention beyond their own website and maybe a few news outlets would place it as the very last story for their entertainment section. But if Rush or Kiss closes down, that would be pretty big news.

The way I see it, Rush would go before KISS because KISS generates so much money, they will find ways to stay together even after Gene Simmons is Dust in the Wind. He will come up with a webcam where you can actually stare at his headstone all day for the low price of $9.95/year. Payable directly into his KISS casket of course. Bottom line, not sure who will retire first but KISS will be last.

Wow some of you are really ignorant about Judas Priest.

• Like 4

Wow some of you are really ignorant about Judas Priest.

Beat me to it duck.

• Like 2

Wow some of you are really ignorant about Judas Priest

Wow, not a nice word "ignorant." I prefer to say "they had me at Stained class thru Screaming for Vengance and then I just removed them from my must-buy list." They either lost me or I simply I decided to lose them. Then again, at least I own some of their albums, never bought a KISS album. Guess I'm doubly ignorant to sour on both JP and KISS.

Edited by jjgittes

Wow some of you are really ignorant about Judas Priest

Wow, not a nice word "ignorant." I prefer to say "they had me at Stained class thru Screaming for Vengance and then I just removed them from my must-buy list." They either lost me or I simply I decided to lose them. Then again, at least I own some of their albums, never bought a KISS album. Guess I'm doubly ignorant to sour on both JP and KISS.

It's nothing to do with whether you like them or you don't. You're talking like Priest have about 16 fans and play to empty houses instead of selling out areanas around the world on 100+ date world tours.

Kiss should have retired 10 years ago. The thing with musicians though is that music is in their blood and they usually play until they die. I have a feeling that's what's going to happen with Rush.

Was Kiss ever about the music "first and foremost"? I thought they were sort of regarded as a money-making machine, a kind of spectacle, "let's be Rock Stars" and see how much merchandising ideas we can come up with. I don't mean to suggest there aren't some great songs . . .

Edited by toymaker

Kiss should have retired 10 years ago. The thing with musicians though is that music is in their blood and they usually play until they die. I have a feeling that's what's going to happen with Rush.

Was Kiss ever about the music "first and foremost"? I thought they were sort of regarded as a money-making machine, a kind of spectacle, "let's be Rock Stars" and see how much merchandising ideas we can come up with. I don't mean to suggest there aren't some great songs . . .

Yeah I mean real musicians. :ph34r:

I think a better question would be "which band will STAY RETIRED first?"

I don't know about the other guys, but something tells me that when Rush decides to retire, that truly will be the end.

So many bands retire, then un-retire. Rush won't.

I think a better question would be "which band will STAY RETIRED first?"

I don't know about the other guys, but something tells me that when Rush decides to retire, that truly will be the end.

So many bands retire, then un-retire. Rush won't.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Neil Peart "retiring" in '98 (or whenever it was) was a perfectly understandable reaction to circumstances...but if the guys decide that things have run their course, that'll be it. It's not like other bands that fall off the radar when the members are in their 30s and then come back 20 years later. It's amazing they've just...stayed together and kept on going.

Proably:

Kansas

then:

KISS

Judas Priest

Rush

Or:

KISS

Judas Priest

Kansas

Rush

Or: