Test for Echo

LeaveMyThingAlone

This album is great, and the opinion in the OP is wrong on just about every point. CoS is Rush's first great album, and RTB won back a slew of fans who were disaffected by a decade of synths (and it won new fans). T4E was a great comeback after the clunker known as CP. It has better songs, better lyrics and better melodies.
  • Like 1

Nothing dates songs worse than writing lyrics about technology, and "Virtuality," which might have sounded contemporary nearly two decades ago, now feels as antiquated as a 28.8 dial-up modem...

:o

Hey buddy, watch what you say!

I agree. What an odd comment. I can't think of anybody in rock music that has written lyrics about technology. Mostly it's about what girl they want to screw that night.

• Like 1

Nothing dates songs worse than writing lyrics about technology, and "Virtuality," which might have sounded contemporary nearly two decades ago, now feels as antiquated as a 28.8 dial-up modem...

I agree. What an odd comment. I can't think of anybody in rock music that has written lyrics about technology. Mostly it's about what girl they want to screw that night.

Thanks. I needed that.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

But I was referring to his remark about antiquated dial-up modems.

I knew that Ms. Dial-Up Diva...... :)

Can someone here tell me who the woman is that is singing background with Geddy at the end of Test For Echo?

Are you being serious? :LOL:

• Like 1

Well they are. :LOL:

When I see or hear the word "screw" it always reminds me of the scene on the bus in "White Men Can't Jump"... :LOL:
  • Like 1

Can someone here tell me who the woman is that is singing background with Geddy at the end of Test For Echo?

Yes. It sounds like a woman to me. Is it Geddy? :outtahere:

Sounds like Geddy to me.

When I see or hear the word "screw" it always reminds me of the scene on the bus in "White Men Can't Jump"... :LOL:

I'll have to take your word on that. I've never seen the movie.

I'll have to take your word on that. I've never seen the movie.

FYI. Whether you like basketball or not, I think its worth seeing. Some pretty classic humor throughout the movie....
  • Like 1

I seem to like the songs on T4E that everyone else seems to think is garbage: Color of Right and Carve Away The Stone. My two favorites off that album actually.

The title track kinda drags a little, but I like it. The rest of the songs I'm OK with, EXCEPT...

Virtuality and Limbo. Limbo is an excellent sleep aid. It just goes on and on and on and never really goes anywhere but in circles. And lyrically, Virtuality sounded outdated and hokey even in 1996. I've always felt that Limbo should have been jettisoned and Virtuality should have been stripped of its lyrics and made the instrumental instead (perhaps with a couple more added sections.)

And the production is a step back from Counterparts. It's a bit muddy and fuzzy.

• Like 1

Sounds like Geddy to me.

That's not Geddy. That is a woman. Are we talking about the same part? It starts at about 2:40, and again at about 5:02.

Edited by Lorraine

Sounds like Geddy to me.

That's not Geddy. That is a woman. Are we talking about the same part? It starts at about 2:40.

Yep that's Geddy for sure. I just listened to it. He's singing harmony with himself an octave higher.

Sounds like Geddy to me.

That's not Geddy. That is a woman. Are we talking about the same part? It starts at about 2:40.

Yep that's Geddy for sure. I just listened to it. He's singing harmony with himself an octave higher.

I will take your word for it.

My apologies to Geddy. :LOL:

• Like 2

I think Test For Echo is pretty good, but a bit nondescript. I never feel that affirmative urge to listen to it that I feel with a lot of Rush's other albums, but I'm always pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable I find it when I do decide to throw it on.

Vapour Trails, on the other hand, I adore. It's an album I especially like to put on when I can get comfortable and listen with my full attention. Taste is an odd thing, isn't it?

• Like 4

I don't think T4E is really all that bad.

Driven is a masterpiece, Resist is awesome and Time & Motion is a really good listen. There's a few other pretty good songs littered about.

I don't see how anyone can say that it's worse than Vapor Trails (I can only think of maybe 2 songs on VT I like, by the far the fewest of any Rush album), the S/t or FBN.

It's not amazing, but I'd argue it's better than some of the albums people praise over it.

• Like 1

Taste is an odd thing, isn't it?

Especially among Rush fans.

For laughs, I am going to resurrect (if I can find it) the thread about what Rush song is hated the most. It is thread where we see music taste in action!!! :LOL:

Taste is an odd thing. I show people Rush music and if they don't like it I'm like, "WTF is wrong with you? How can you not love this??".

Hard to believe people would prefer... well... anything else. :huh:

For laughs, I am going to resurrect (if I can find it) the thread about what Rush song is hated the most. It is thread where we see music taste in action!!! :LOL:

Stirring the pot I see..... :P

Stirring the pot I see..... :P

It doesn't make much to do that, but I decided to let sleeping threads sleep.

• Like 1

I think Test For Echo is pretty good, but a bit nondescript. I never feel that affirmative urge to listen to it that I feel with a lot of Rush's other albums, but I'm always pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable I find it when I do decide to throw it on.

Vapour Trails, on the other hand, I adore. It's an album I especially like to put on when I can get comfortable and listen with my full attention. Taste is an odd thing, isn't it?

Funny as I was meh on VT (I agree that it's light on melody) until I REALLY listened to it closely, and then I was so impressed with all that they were doing. My favorite after their Golden Age, an album I like to listen to carefully or not at all. T4E on the other hand will never grow on me though I don't think it's a total waste (I love Driven, for one); just uninspired, uninteresting, and dull.

• Like 3