Rush FAQ new book

rugen

I ordered so long ago and it finally shipped today. Not much to say about it yet although there are some reviews out there and they are giving it a lot of high marks.

I'm most of the way through it. Some new (for me) stuff about their parents' history, some interesting reflections on various songs, good information about gear (instruments used in various tours as well as amplification and lighting rigs), and lots of critiques of the various concert videos. I'm trying to think what else has stood out . . . a chapter on the remix of vapor trails, a chapter on Neil Peart's writing. Over all, not too much of a rehash of stuff you find in the last few Rush books by Popoff and Collins. Worth picking up, I think (but I have to say the choice of cover photograph makes me shudder a bit).

I will add, as well, that Mobley sort of has a way of making you want to watch all the videos again—he's obviously a fan!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

thanks toymaker, i am glad that we can find many reviews on the videos, that could be just what i want to make me purchase this.

I ordered so long ago and it finally shipped today. Not much to say about it yet although there are some reviews out there and they are giving it a lot of high marks.

Im reading now. It is a light ready. I have already learned a few facts I did not know!!

Im reading now. It is a light ready. I have already learned a few facts I did not know!!

?

there's a first negative review on amazon where the guy was listing all errors facts in the book, and saying that it could be the worst Rush book ever madehttp://www.amazon.co...ywords=rush faq

The guy is a harsh critic. I'd cut the book a bit of slack. I also raised my eyebrows when the author claimed that some of the 70s videos were just mimed (Circumstances and La Villa are clearly not), but I generally thought the book was okay. It's not a history book, after all. It's a dude who loves Rush writing about Rush, and mostly he does it with heart.

there's a first negative review on amazon where the guy was listing all errors facts in the book, and saying that it could be the worst Rush book ever madehttp://www.amazon.co...ywords=rush faq

The guy is a harsh critic. I'd cut the book a bit of slack. I also raised my eyebrows when the author claimed that some of the 70s videos were just mimed (Circumstances and La Villa are clearly not), but I generally thought the book was okay. It's not a history book, after all. It's a dude who loves Rush writing about Rush, and mostly he does it with heart.

Yes, agree, you can be meticulously right on the facts and write a book without emotion and passion.

• Like 1

I just read that review and if those critiques are true that's pretty sad. May not stop me from picking up the book in a discount bin, but sad just the same.

Even Telleria wouldn't have gotten most of that stuff wrong. I think you have to be immersed in the culture to get something like this right.

That's why I have no doubt Skip Daly's book is going to be the best Rush book possibly ever and I don't know a thing about it yet.

?

I believe they meant a light read.

?

I believe they meant a light read.

It's illuminating.

I just read that review and if those critiques are true that's pretty sad. May not stop me from picking up the book in a discount bin, but sad just the same.

Even Telleria wouldn't have gotten most of that stuff wrong. I think you have to be immersed in the culture to get something like this right.

That's why I have no doubt Skip Daly's book is going to be the best Rush book possibly ever and I don't know a thing about it yet.

I have some pretty severe reservations about Skip's book... just the rumors about a couple of the people that may be involved in it makes me very leery.

Hi there, I am brand new to the site! Learned about you all after reading Rush FAQ, and was looking for more fans of the book as I believe this to be truly one of the best rock and roll books ever written, PERIOD!

So now that you know I am biased, read on! : )

In regards to that horrible review on Amazon, which is mentioned here, I agree, clearly the guy has an ax to grind.

But super important: the book never says Rush mimed or did not play live on those old videos - here's a direct quote re: the Xanadu video: "Again, the band is playing live and, again, the studio version of the song was dubbed in."

He says the same thing about all the other early videos. He does not say they are mimed. So if you are gonna call out the writer for not being accurate - well, BE ACCURATE!! : )

Mistakes exist in every book about Rush or anything else. Don’t be fooled by one harsh and downright mean review, the book is incredibly well-researched (I know, I am a Rush geek since All the World's a Stage). And it’s so damn much fun to read, with exceptional insight and analysis not found in any other Rush book ever. It's way more than just a book listing Rush facts - (the book needs a better title for sure...) I would call the book

Why Rush Matters, and How they made it, or something (I dunno, I’m a drummer and a magician, not an author).

Ok, rant over.

This is my first post.

I hope to stick around so please no hating!

Maybe start a thread thingie for fans of the book - the writer poses some interesting topics for discussion - like what do you the Rush’s 3 breakthrough albums are? He says 2112, Moving Pictures, and Snakes and Arrows.

Edited by WhoDeani
  • Like 2

Welcome WhoDeani! (hope you don't disappear on us ...) Glad another enjoy the book, only one bad review. Good question about breakthrough album for Snakes and Arrows, i am sure some people would disagree on this, but after the disappointing Vapor Trails, the band comes back with something stronger were the songs are breathing a little more.

Hi there, I am brand new to the site! Learned about you all after reading Rush FAQ, and was looking for more fans of the book as I believe this to be truly one of the best rock and roll books ever written, PERIOD!

In regards to that horrible review on Amazon, which is mentioned here, I agree, clearly the guy has an ax to grind.

But super important: the book never says Rush mimed or did not play live on those old videos - here's a direct quote re: the Xanadu video: "Again, the band is playing live and, again, the studio version of the song was dubbed in."

He says the same thing about all the other early videos. He does not say they are mimed. So if you are gonna call out the writer for not being accurate - well, BE ACCURATE!! : )

Mistakes exist in every book about Rush or anything else. Don’t be fooled by one harsh and downright mean review, the book is incredibly well-researched (I know, I am a Rush geek since All the World's a Stage). And it’s so damn much fun to read, with exceptional insight and analysis not found in any other Rush book ever. It's way more than just a book listing Rush facts - (the book needs a better title for sure...) I would call the book

Why Rush Matters, and How they made it, or something (I dunno, I’m a drummer and a magician, not an author).

Ok, rant over.

This is my first post.

Maybe start a thread thingie for fans of the book - the writer poses some interesting topics for discussion - like what do you the Rush’s 3 breakthrough albums are? He says 2112, Moving Pictures, and Snakes and Arrows.

Welcome to trf! I'm a huge magic fan too. ( nice name ;))

Ok, rant over.

This is my first post.

Welcome to trf! I'm a huge magic fan too. ( nice name ;))

I have some pretty severe reservations about Skip's book... just the rumors about a couple of the people that may be involved in it makes me very leery.

As I said, I don't know a thing about it as was going under the assumption that it was his baby. If that is not the case as you say then I may be right there with you.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Of the three breakout albums, it's 2112 for me. Something about the hardness, it's so hard rocking, so powerful and nothing like it really before or since. Even by Rush. and I prefer Geddy's voice back then. That album just blew me away and is so timeless. Took me a while to get Snakes and Arrows, but I think it's exceptional for sure. Though I wish Alex played more solos on it.

As for magic, I did some closeup magic for friends the other night - it had been so long since I had performed, I was pretty wasted and I decided to do the show without any practice (which is risky to begin with). But it reminded me of how enjoyable it is for me to make others laugh and reminded how much I miss feeling that sense of wonder which comes along with "performing miracles." It's such a powerful experience to those that are ready to come along for the ride....

This review was posted on RIAB earlier today: http://blindedbysound.com/reviews/book-review-rush-faq-all-thats-left-to-know-about-rocks-greatest-power-trio-by-max-mobley/

It sounds like it could have been written by someone here, in that the reviewer seems to like the same things the majority of us do. And it makes me want to read the book.

My mistake - I meant to say that the band is performing the songs live and we are hearing that actual version. Mobley's mistake is to say that they have subbed in the album track over the performance. Circumstances and The Trees are different from the album versions (someone correct me if I'm wrong).