'Superman Returns' plot synopsis

Jack Aubrey

Thanks to Dark Horizons.

In "Superman Returns", the Man of Steel comes back to Earth after a several year absence. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

(Jack here: 'Superman Returns' takes place after the events depicted in 'Superman II', the studio is acknowledging the first two films, but disregarding the second two. Just FYI.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/5a874bf6.jpg

Edited by Jack Aubrey

(Jack here: 'Superman Returns' takes place after the events depicted in 'Superman II', the studio is acknowledging the first two films, but disregarding the second two. Just FYI.)

And I am sure everyone is grateful.

This is starting to sound like its going to be right up there with Batman Begins as far as fixing a movie series that went very very bad.

QUOTE (Batman @ Jul 23 2005, 07:25 AM)

This is starting to sound like its going to be right up there with Batman Begins as far as fixing a movie series that went very very bad.

i was actually pretty shocked when i went to a blockbuster recently to see superman IV on the shelf. i pointed it out to my wife, and we were like, when on earth did they make THAT? am i the only one who never knew there was a superman IV? was it out in theaters or straight to video??? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 25 2005, 03:47 AM)

i was actually pretty shocked when i went to a blockbuster recently to see superman IV on the shelf. i pointed it out to my wife, and we were like, when on earth did they make THAT? am i the only one who never knew there was a superman IV? was it out in theaters or straight to video??? confused13.gif

Part 4 was definitely in the theaters. It was even worse than Part 3 which I didn't think was possible. Actually I think it did alright at the box office that first weekend of release just because of the Superman name itself. Same with Batman & Robin. The theaters were packed when it opened but everyone (NOW) knows the movie was shite.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 25 2005, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 25 2005, 03:47 AM)

Part 4 was definitely in the theaters. It was even worse than Part 3 which I didn't think was possible. Actually I think it did alright at the box office that first weekend of release just because of the Superman name itself. Same with Batman & Robin. The theaters were packed when it opened but everyone (NOW) knows the movie was shite.

i must have REALLY given up on the superman franchise at that point, because this one COMPLETELY passed me by - wow!

please tell me if anyone else had this experience:

superman II for me came the closest in the superman pantheon of being a great movie, but it missed big for one major reason that to me was a real shame.

i have a hard time with REALLY stupid acting characters in a movie. i think the plot of this movie was great, and there's a lot about it that really worked for me in a big way, BUT there was about a 10 minute scene when the 3 criminals were attacking the citizens of Metropolis where the movie really tanked. in that scene, the criminals are doing things like blowing really hard and causing enough wind to make people and cars go flying, using their laser vision to break off pieces of buildings that comes tumbling down upon people in the street, etc. this in itself didn't bother me at all, it was the way the people on the street reacted that did. obviously they spent a lot of time in the studio with voiceover actors and actresses making the sounds and words of terror and fear that people were experiencing, making anguished calls for superman to come save them, etc. it was all SO horrendously STUPID though! it made the people on the streets seem like complete idiots with the most ridiculous dialogue I've almost ever heard - it was SO bad and SO stupid that for me it really just dragged down and ruined the entire movie as a whole. i mean, my Lord, if the people of Metropolis were such morons, were they even worth saving in the first place? wink.gif

seriously though, did this bother anyone else as much as it did me? confused13.gif

Edited by rushgoober