College Housing - Sophomore Year

FountainOfSyrinx

Hey y'all.. I'm currently in my freshman year at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, and it is already time to figure out my housing arrangement for next year. This really doesn't seem like a serious issue - unless you're me and you prefer living alone!

I've pretty much decided I do not want to live in the dorms next year. There are two reasons: I'd like a little more freedom and I'm trying to cut down on costs for this upcoming year. It costs about $9k a year for room and board here (around $1,000 a month).

Now, my roommate is an awesome guy, and we really get along. I have also made a few really close friends throughout my first semester that I might consider rooming with. But at the end of the day, I always revert back to the idea of living alone. I'm very independent, and I'd like to explore being on my own for the first time in my life.

Obviously, this decision may end up being a bit pricier. However, I have found a place in downtown Lincoln (which is very close to campus) that I have really fallen in love with. It's a 350 sq. ft studio apartment (perfect size) with a rent of $490 a month, which I consider to be affordable. It is called Century House. The only bills I would end up paying are electric and cable, which would probably come out to around $75-$100 a month (I'm guessing). As long as I'm not an idiot on the food front, I would be able to keep that cost down. And depending on my situation, I could also pull in a little income to help pay for it all without it becoming too much of a hassle. I would have a car, but I would not be driving a whole lot based on how close to campus I'd be, which would allow me to avoid paying for parking on campus. All in all, I feel like it would end up being cheaper than living in a dorm again.

The only problem I'm facing is the idea of living with someone, and how much cheaper it could be. Splitting bills and costs in half could go a long way in making college cost efficient. I've been talking with my dad a lot on the subject, and he seems all for me pursuing this studio in downtown, given that it's truly cost-efficient. Should I forget my own desires and just suck it up and live with someone again? I wouldn't have that bad of a time, I don't think.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I'm really conflicted and need to discuss it with people who have probably been - or currently are - in my situation.

Sorry for the rant, guys. :) What do y'all think?

I lived in a trailer by the tracks one year. Cheap, but it sucked. The whole thing shook when the trains rolled by. another year, me and five guys rented a big place on the South Hill in Spokane...an old craftsman home. That place rocked, but was drafty as hell. Rented an apartment with some guys one year. The place had a pool which was sweet. One roomate had a python and raised mice in the kitchen. The other roomate loved to cooked deep fried - you could skate your way across the kitchen floor.

My (future) wife had some cool digs. One year she rented a house with five other hotties. The place became known as "the Zoo" and was party central. My girlie moved out after the coke-dealer chick moved in. She then rented a gov't subsidized joint, which was sweet. Small apartment, paid $50/month. The only downside was the old Chinese lady who would stare in the windows.

What was your question...?

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I lived in a trailer by the tracks one year. Cheap, but it sucked. The whole thing shook when the trains rolled by. another year, me and five guys rented a big place on the South Hill in Spokane...an old craftsman home. That place rocked, but was drafty as hell. Rented an apartment with some guys one year. The place had a pool which was sweet. One roomate had a python and raised mice in the kitchen. The other roomate loved to cooked deep fried - you could skate your way across the kitchen floor.

My (future) wife had some cool digs. One year she rented a house with five other hotties. The place became known as "the Zoo" and was party central. My girlie moved out after the coke-dealer chick moved in. She then rented a gov't subsidized joint, which was sweet. Small apartment, paid $50/month. The only downside was the old Chinese lady who would stare in the windows.

What was your question...?

:P

Well, only you know the fine points of your financial situation. But if you think you yearn for the freedom of being on your own now, just wait until you're a junior or senior. That yearning is only going to increase and will likely ramp up fast.