The Neal Schon Appreciation Thread

ReRushed

He is a good guitar player actually and has been involved in a lot of good projects other than Journey, with good people such as Jan Hammer, Virgil Donati etc. And he was selected to join Santana at age 17 when Eric Clapton wanted to get him for his band at the same time.

Seems like an excellent player to me. I am no musician however. I saw Journey 3 times in the early 80's and thoroughly enjoyed them. :codger:

Great player. I recently caught a live show on VH1 classic, with the new singer, and he's lost none of his chops, solo wise. I think his playing with Journey doesn't do him justice. Outside of a handful of the hits, Journey bores me to tears. Edited by Xanadoood

I guess you guys didn't hear the news:

LOS ANGELES, CA (AP Newsliar) — Sources reported today that long-time Journey guitarist Neal Schon is losing his 40-year battle with Cithara-Fatsia Syndrome, better known as “guitar face.”

Guitar Face is a debilitating condition that strikes thousands of musicians a year. Research funded by the American Guitar Face Society suggests it is a neurological disorder, resulting in involuntary facial contortions which are correlated in severity to the difficulty or emotional poignancy of guitar riffs being played. Schon was diagnosed not long after joining the band Santana as a teenage guitar prodigy at the age of 15.

But after years of repeated treatments and remissions, the 55-year old guitar virtuoso’s battle is nearing an end, and his doctors have given him only a few weeks to live.

Schon has felt his condition deteriorate considerably over the past months. On occasion he could not listen to soft rock on the radio without breaking into a musical grimace, and more recently, even elevator music would cause uncontrollable facial twitches.

A spokesman for the ailing musician has stated that Schon is resting comfortably surrounded by his family members, and they have asked the press to respect their privacy during the difficult days ahead.

Edited by Jacob's Bladder
  • Like 3

I guess you guys didn't hear the news:

LOS ANGELES, CA (AP Newsliar) — Sources reported today that long-time Journey guitarist Neal Schon is losing his 40-year battle with Cithara-Fatsia Syndrome, better known as “guitar face.”

Guitar Face is a debilitating condition that strikes thousands of musicians a year. Research funded by the American Guitar Face Society suggests it is a neurological disorder, resulting in involuntary facial contortions which are correlated in severity to the difficulty or emotional poignancy of guitar riffs being played. Schon was diagnosed not long after joining the band Santana as a teenage guitar prodigy at the age of 15.

But after years of repeated treatments and remissions, the 55-year old guitar virtuoso’s battle is nearing an end, and his doctors have given him only a few weeks to live.

Schon has felt his condition deteriorate considerably over the past months. On occasion he could not listen to soft rock on the radio without breaking into a musical grimace, and more recently, even elevator music would cause uncontrollable facial twitches.

A spokesman for the ailing musician has stated that Schon is resting comfortably surrounded by his family members, and they have asked the press to respect their privacy during the difficult days ahead.

Awesome...welcome to TRF!