Why don't you take a picture it will last longer

Tom Sawyer

So....

Are you a photoholic, a photophobe, or something in between?

Film, digital?

I've been "into" photography for 40 years, all amature, of course.

I love capturing "frames of time".

Since I've had kids (22 years) I've increased dramatically.

I'm always concerned with "preservation", I have pictures a hundred years old (great grands) in b/w that still look sharp and crisp. I hope my pics will look that good in a 100 years?.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

I love, love, love photography. It's probably the top favorite of my hobbies. I've been into it for years. I was inspired by my father who took some classes and had an amazing camera. He was a horrible photographer though! (Sorry pops.) But he taught me to see things differently and appreciate the beauty in many things. I think I snap decent pics. I use a digital camera now but want to upgrade soon to a more professional one. I take a variety of photos. I have a lot of artsy shots and nature shots but most are simple family pics. I have a few series that I love. One series is where I take pictures of the kids each year on their birthday in this bright red lounge chair we have. In their first year, I took a picture each month in the chair but after the first year I only snap the "red chair" picture on their birthday. It is very cool to always look back at this teensy tiny baby leaning in one corner of the chair and then this big kid taking up the chair and all the pics in-between! I do something similar on the first day of school. I print out a big sign with their grade level on it and have them stand in front of the double doors on the front porch, holding the sign. It's sweet to see them holding their, "Pre-School!" sign, "First Grade!" sign, etc. It creates a cool little flip book.
  • Like 2

Do we move this to TTP?

Sure, absolutely, great idea! .... btw .. what's TTP?

Turn the page, i believe.

It actually stands for Tom's Toilet Party, but Turn The Page is a good place for this, too.

Hey Yeah!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMCsc4Iqvqc

Edited by Tom Sawyer

I love photography. It's my favourite visual art form, and I've enjoyed taking photos since I got my first camera at age 9 or so (which was, ahem, a few years ago ;) ). Although I am 100% digital now, and I think digital photography is great for so many reasons, there is one thing that really scares me—with the advent of digital photography people keep (almost all) their photos on their computers. We no longer have physical photo albums or shoeboxes of photos and negatives in the closet. What's going to happen in the future when your computer crashes, when you lose your backup drives, when you die and no one bothers to recover your photos from your hard drive? I fear there will be no photos from this time period left for future generations to pore over, no photos to stumble over in an antique store where you can wonder about the lives of the subjects. I fear our photographic history has ended with digital cameras, and that is sad :(
  • Like 3

I love photography. It's my favourite visual art form, and I've enjoyed taking photos since I got my first camera at age 9 or so (which was, ahem, a few years ago ;) ). Although I am 100% digital now, and I think digital photography is great for so many reasons, there is one thing that really scares me—with the advent of digital photography people keep (almost all) their photos on their computers. We no longer have physical photo albums or shoeboxes of photos and negatives in the closet. What's going to happen in the future when your computer crashes, when you lose your backup drives, when you die and no one bothers to recover your photos from your hard drive? I fear there will be no photos from this time period left for future generations to pore over, no photos to stumble over in an antique store where you can wonder about the lives of the subjects. I fear our photographic history has ended with digital cameras, and that is sad :(

I do worry about this too! I upload everything I want to save to photo sites (like, Photobucket, etc) and also download everything onto USB drives. But still, I rarely print out pictures. I miss having photo albums around. The only time I print photos out is when I'm making photo albums for the in-laws.

I still have tons of photo albums from the 70's and 80's and then all the negatives from my daughters birth (1991) and on through out the 90's are vacuum packed and in a fire safe with hd and compact discs/dvd disc also of the 2000's digital pics.
  • Like 1

In field trips when I was in elementary school I would always have a camera in my hand. I wasn't part of anything back then, so taking snapshots allowed me to be part of something after all. The sad thing is seeing all those pictures of everyone but yourself :poke: . Many years later when I had absolutely no idea what I should make of myself, I began education as photographer but it ended when I couldn't get an internship that I needed. Too many people wanting to be photographers and my skills (and belief in myself) wasn't good enough.

Gear wise I'm a sucker for analogue equipment, but am stuck in the convenience of digital. If money allowed it I would go medium and large format and scan the negatives. However the last two years I have been in a photographic hiatus. Seems like the desire is gone :(