Ubuntu

Nate2112

I'd have to agree with you. I'm more of a Linux guy myself. I like it because unlike windows 8 it's not stripped down and simplified to the point where great great grandma can use with without doing too much harm. I'd use it more often if more applications were made for it. Thankfully that does seem to be the case because every year more and more programs are released for Linux as well as Windows.

On the other hand Windows 8 does have a 30 second boot time on my machine....

Ubuntu best OS? Perhaps on some platforms. As with all OSes, each has their place and function.

From a technical standpoint, OS/2 was the prettiest operating system I've seen on a PC. A true multi-threader. IBM marketed it very poorly and OS/2 went away in the 90s. Technically superior to Windows in every way.

On PCs, I use Windows (I've been a DOS user since 1983) and it gets the job done. I find Unix/Linux OSes to be rather annoying and the interfaces to be cumbersome, but of course that's just my preference.

But, if we're talking premier OS, the correct answer is z/OS. It runs on mainframe computers and is the most elegant and efficient of the all operating systems. Virtually impossible to crash due to address spaces and key protected memory and functions, a dispatcher that controls program access to resources (true multi-programming/multi-processing), an extremely efficient hardware instruction set, integrated subsystem to perform I/O processing and security, just to name a few advantages. Of course, it isn't something you'd ever run on a PC though there have been versions available in the past (IBM pSeries, iirc)

Now, I have to go work on said OS. :hi:

• Like 1