Yes is the Answer (And Other Prog-Rock Tales)

Powderfinger

I wasn't sure where to post this, as it has equal value for the Turn the Page, Music of the Spheres, and Rush forums, so please forgive me if it seems better suited for a different sub-forum.

Anyway, I recently downloaded this book titled Yes is the Answer (And Other Prog-Rock Tales), edited by Marc Weisgarten and Tyson Cornell. So far it is quite possibly the funniest book I've ever read. It covers everything from the Canterbury Scene to Rush. Last night I was lying in bed reading the chapter "There is No Rush" and I had to stop because I was laughing so hard and shaking the bed so vigorously—and at one point even snorted—that I worried I would wake my wife. In many respects I felt like I was reading about myself, about my own prior experiences as a young man completely enamored of Rush.

I promise that fans of Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Rush, Caravan, etc. will not regret purchasing and reading this book. I sort of found it by accident, just browsing the Amazon store on my kindle. It is absolutely brilliant.

Has anyone else read this?

How much are they paying you?

Absolutely no connection to the writers or publisher. My initial message was sincere. I was just browsing Kindle books on prog rock and came across it, am loving it, and quickly concluded that the book practically seems written for TRF members. It's an incredibly cool book that includes numerous in-depth analyses and entertaining essays on bands that most of us love. I am an obsessive Genesis fan, and yet I read a chapter today that introduced some interesting ideas that I have never considered, like whether or not Solsbury Hill can be interpreted as a sequel to Supper's Ready.

Again, it's a cool book; it has an entire chapter on the Canterbury Scene—how often do you see that? The collection of essays articulate prog's appeal more efficiently and effectively than anything else I've ever read. I apologize if my praise is too fulsome, but please don't read it as suspicious. I am confident that most Rush, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, et al. fans will get a kick out of it.

Absolutely no connection to the writers or publisher. My initial message was sincere. I was just browsing Kindle books on prog rock and came across it, am loving it, and quickly concluded that the book practically seems written for TRF members. It's an incredibly cool book that includes numerous in-depth analyses and entertaining essays on bands that most of us love. I am an obsessive Genesis fan, and yet I read a chapter today that introduced some interesting ideas that I have never considered, like whether or not Solsbury Hill can be interpreted as a sequel to Supper's Ready.

Again, it's a cool book; it has an entire chapter on the Canterbury Scene—how often do you see that? The collection of essays articulate prog's appeal more efficiently and effectively than anything else I've ever read. I apologize if my praise is too fulsome, but please don't read it as suspicious. I am confident that most Rush, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, et al. fans will get a kick out of it.

I just did a quick google search and the book has pretty much universal acclaim. I don't buy very many books anymore because they take up too much space, but If I can't get it from the library I will have to buy it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe, just maybe, he, gasp, LIKES IT.

HA&S - this post shows you're nowhere NEAR cynical enough. :P

And congratulations on 9,000 posts! :)

The book does sound cool - if I wasn't so behind on books, I'd order it, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Sticking it on my amazon wish list...

Maybe, just maybe, he, gasp, LIKES IT.

HA&S - this post shows you're nowhere NEAR cynical enough. :P

And congratulations on 9,000 posts! :)

The book does sound cool - if I wasn't so behind on books, I'd order it, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Sticking it on my amazon wish list...

Never even noticed! You are a gentleman for noticing though. Buiochas. Gracias. Danke. Merci.