Alex comments on R40....

Phantom

Coventry,

Touring is precisely where the main revenue comes from now. The industry has changed drastically from 20, let alone 40, years ago.

The production costs depend almost entirely on what the band chooses. That said, some, perhaps most, fans expect a certain level of production. Bare bones is not what most want. Fewer people means less money.

Your mistake is saying that they "need a steady 3/4 house"... The band is guaranteed a set amount just to show up, regardless of what happens. This is what promoters do—the promoter(s) take the lion's share of risk at this level. After a certain attendance, the rest is pure gravy.

When designing a tour, there is always a worst case that is planned. High-end bands—like our beloved Rush—do NOT break even anymore. They make money every time now, and have for about 35 years.They have earned their stripes, and make a lot of money for showing up, whether they sell 25 percent or 90 percent.

Yeah - I guess I had contradicted my own post. If they get a set fee - it doesn't matter how many show up!

Still - what's the consensus that Rush is touring for the money or for the sake of touring?

Rush is touring because they love to play. And we love to hear them. And love that.

After 40 years, they don't need the money. They just love to see us feeling and living every song they play.

They are there for us, we are there for them, symbosis at its best.

I am going to start saving for front row seats starting now!!

Do it!!! So worth the money. I beyond broke the bank to go front row this year, and I have no regrets. And will do it againg! One of the best experiences of my life.

Coventry,

Touring is precisely where the main revenue comes from now. The industry has changed drastically from 20, let alone 40, years ago.

The production costs depend almost entirely on what the band chooses. That said, some, perhaps most, fans expect a certain level of production. Bare bones is not what most want. Fewer people means less money.

Your mistake is saying that they "need a steady 3/4 house"... The band is guaranteed a set amount just to show up, regardless of what happens. This is what promoters do—the promoter(s) take the lion's share of risk at this level. After a certain attendance, the rest is pure gravy.

When designing a tour, there is always a worst case that is planned. High-end bands—like our beloved Rush—do NOT break even anymore. They make money every time now, and have for about 35 years.They have earned their stripes, and make a lot of money for showing up, whether they sell 25 percent or 90 percent.

Yeah - I guess I had contradicted my own post. If they get a set fee - it doesn't matter how many show up!

Still - what's the consensus that Rush is touring for the money or for the sake of touring?

Rush is touring because they love to play. And we love to hear them. And love that.

After 40 years, they don't need the money. They just love to see us feeling and living every song they play.

They are there for us, we are there for them, symbosis at its best.

It's both. Big lifestyles cost big dollars. Nothing wrong with that! Touring has essentially (I am exaggerating a little here to make a point) replaced album sales as the main cash cow. And established bands (like Rush) always make a profit on tour. Promoters have almost no risk with big bands; they just need a ton of capital. No way they would do it if the rewards weren't relatively high.

What songs to play R40......I wonder. :eyeroll:

Ooh, maybe someone will make a setlist!!

Ask and you shall receive:

R40 Setlist:

Set 1:

R40 Instrumedley: (Finding My Way, By-Tor & the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude), Freewill,)

Limelight

Caravan

Cut to the Chase

Vapor Trail

Limbo

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

2112 (Entire)

Set 2:

Archives Instrumedley: (Working Man, What you're Doing, Anthem, Fly By Night, Bastille Day, No-One at The Bridge, Didacts & Narpits, Bastille Day *ending*)

The Anarchist

Carnies

Driven (with Bass Solo)

Red Barchetta

Test For Echo

Open Secrets

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

Headlong Flight

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ The Garden

Xanadu (Entire)