Alex comments on R40....

Phantom

R42: Rush, the Anniversary and Everything tour.

:rfl: MY THOUGHT EXACTLY!

I reckon it will be fall 2015.

I'm thinking new album sometime in 2014 with support tour. Then 2016 it's a no holds barred R42 So Long an Thanks for all the Fish tour. :)

I have to believe it's not happening in 2014. Ged's said as much. I know Big Al can get really enthusiastic, but after giving it some thought, I'm wondering if he was mis-quoted. It happens all the time.

It's possible that he made reference to the band having given some consideration to some sort of scaled down mini tour, and it got quoted as " we're going to do it".

Just sayin'........

Again, not that it will happen for the reasons already stated, but I would love to see a scaled down mini-tour.

Maybe a true time machine tour featuring one song from every studio album.

Finding My Way

Anthem

I Think I'm Going Bald

Twilight Zone

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato (Instrumental)

Jacob's Ladder

Witch Hunt

Losing It

Between the Wheels

Marathon

Time Stand Still

Chain Lightning

Where's My Thing (Instrumental)

Leave That Thing Alone (Instrumental)

Limbo (Instrumental)

Ghost Rider

Summertime Blues

The Main Monkey Business (Instrumental)

Hope (Instrumental) (also off of S&A)

The Garden

Now I need a napkin for the drool.

I think that would keep the poppies away and enable them to do the scaled-down tour since only the hardcores would want to go. Pick 20 cities and run w/ it.

All of us here could get the Amtrak equivalent of the Eurail Pass and take a couple of months off of work.

Edited by Wingmaster

I'm thinking new album sometime in 2014 with support tour. Then 2016 it's a no holds barred R42 So Long an Thanks for all the Fish tour. :)

Yikes!

Give 'em some time to recollect their thoughts, eh.

LOL

Yikes!

LOL

I did. They can have the rest of 13 off, lol. Start work in Jan 14, have the new album out by the summe of 14, tour into 15, break, record a new instumental (or two) for release an all instumental compilation album called 'Instrushmental', then the R42 So Long tour in 16 that runs into 2017. Then scale back and reflect. :D

• Like 3

Yikes!

LOL

I did. They can have the rest of 13 off, lol. Start work in Jan 14, have the new album out by the summe of 14, tour into 15, break, record a new instumental (or two) for release an all instumental compilation album called 'Instrushmental', then the R42 So Long tour in 16 that runs into 2017. Then scale back and reflect. :D

Cracking the whip ain't ya bro? :whip: Keep 'em busy I say :codger: Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Yikes!

LOL

Cracking the whip ain't ya bro? :whip: Keep 'em busy I say :codger:

No rest for the weary and no sleep till Brooklyn. I've got more plans for them than Ray Daniels! :madra:

Yikes!

LOL

Cracking the whip ain't ya bro? :whip: Keep 'em busy I say :codger:

No rest for the weary and no sleep till Brooklyn. I've got more plans for them than Ray Daniels! :madra:

You're right—it's hammer time!!!
  • Like 2

But will the band know the question? Hmmm tricky.

They could do at least one show to celebrate the 40th. Do a proper tour later. The 40th anniversary is a HUGE accomplishment and they'd be foolish not to honor it. Plus it's be different for them to only do one show instead of the whole tour. Change it up a bit.

But how about doing "limited" R40 tour? Just few gigs in some chosen cities (maybe in North America and some in Europe)... Maybe Rush "saved" that Jabob's Ladder (which Alex said to be in setlist some years ago) into it instead playing it during S&A/Time Machine/Clockwork Angels-tours? Hopefully Xanadu and The Trees will be there too:)...

But how about doing "limited" R40 tour? Just few gigs in some chosen cities (maybe in North America and some in Europe)... Maybe Rush "saved" that Jabob's Ladder (which Alex said to be in setlist some years ago) into it instead playing it during S&A/Time Machine/Clockwork Angels-tours? Hopefully Xanadu and The Trees will be there too:)...

The Trees is great live, I haven't seen it live in like 30 years tho. I remember it.

R42.....oh, the possibilities....

The "Ultimate Answer" Tour

The "Don't Panic" Tour

The "Infinitely Improbable" Tour

The "Deep Thoughts" Tour

The "Life, Don't Tell Us About Life" Tour

The "So Long, And Thanks From All Of Rush" Tour

The "We Apologize For The Inconvenience" Tour

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Like 1

Good Lord folks, let it go. Fantasy set lists and speculations are fun when you are 12, but these are grown men in their late fifties that have been touring for most of two years. R45 is more likely.

Rush should not tour for the 40, 41 or 42 anniversary. They have over saturated the touring market right now. IMO Rush needs to do something special for every tour from now on kind of like playing MP in its entirety. It brought the crowds - gotta do 2112 or PEW or something

I say they should follow Metallica's idea and rent a place (Radio City or a smaller place in Toronto like Massey Hall) for a week and play 3 or 4 shows all with different setlists where no songs are repeated and charge only $30 for each ticket

No big light rigs or props - just keep it minimal and focus on the music - could have guest musicians come and play certain songs that require additonal guitars and keyboards and bring in Ben Mink for Losing It and other orchestra players for some CA material

Make it more of a party over a few days

Record and film it - release the blu ray and CD boxset- work on new material before and after gigs - tour new album with some kind of special reason to get people into the seats

They will tour again. They are having way to much fun not to. I have been up close many times and you can clearly see on their faces that they are having the time of their lives (even Neil smiles once in a while). As long as they physically can they will.

Geddy did say no to R40. But joked about R41 or R42. I think that will happen. Maybe not a new album by then, but something to kick off a new tour.

They are playing smaller venues this tour. A lot of people do not want to see so much CA and Power Windows. But the hardcore fans love it. The aduiences this leg have been amazing.

And seriously, after 40 years, they know, and we know, if they play it, we will come....

• Like 1

Rush should not tour for the 40, 41 or 42 anniversary. They have over saturated the touring market right now. IMO Rush needs to do something special for every tour from now on kind of like playing MP in its entirety. It brought the crowds - gotta do 2112 or PEW or something

I say they should follow Metallica's idea and rent a place (Radio City or a smaller place in Toronto like Massey Hall) for a week and play 3 or 4 shows all with different setlists where no songs are repeated and charge only $30 for each ticket

No big light rigs or props - just keep it minimal and focus on the music - could have guest musicians come and play certain songs that require additonal guitars and keyboards and bring in Ben Mink for Losing It and other orchestra players for some CA material

Record and film it - release the blu ray and CD boxset- work on new material before and after gigs - tour new album with some kind of special reason to get people into the seats

Oversaturated the market? Yeah right. Maybe if Rush was playing in the same state four or five times in a year, then sure. There's one band I've seen about five times in a single year. Rush comes this way once a year, if we're lucky. That's not oversaturation. They've been touring for not even a year for an album that's been out for one year. They only tour a few months out of the year. That's no where close to oversaturation.

That being said, I'm sure they'll take at least a year off, if not two or three, before they return to the road. And they deserve a break. They've been amazing on this tour and deserve some time off.

Oversaturated the market? Yeah right. Maybe if Rush was playing in the same state four or five times in a year, then sure. There's one band I've seen about five times in a single year. Rush comes this way once a year, if we're lucky. That's not oversaturation. They've been touring for not even a year for an album that's been out for one year. They only tour a few months out of the year. That's no where close to oversaturation.

That being said, I'm sure they'll take at least a year off, if not two or three, before they return to the road. And they deserve a break. They've been amazing on this tour and deserve some time off.

I'm not sure they can afford to keep touring - not with the amount of money that goes into each production. They need a steady 3/4 house - at least - to make a profit (this is just a less-than-educated guess. I have no idea how much it costs to put on a CA show, nor what Rush's fee is to play a venue).

Coventry,

Touring is precisely where the main revenue comes from now. The industry has changed drastically from 20, let alone 40, years ago.

The production costs depend almost entirely on what the band chooses. That said, some, perhaps most, fans expect a certain level of production. Bare bones is not what most want. Fewer people means less money.

Your mistake is saying that they "need a steady 3/4 house"... The band is guaranteed a set amount just to show up, regardless of what happens. This is what promoters do—the promoter(s) take the lion's share of risk at this level. After a certain attendance, the rest is pure gravy.

When designing a tour, there is always a worst case that is planned. High-end bands—like our beloved Rush—do NOT break even anymore. They make money every time now, and have for about 35 years.They have earned their stripes, and make a lot of money for showing up, whether they sell 25 percent or 90 percent.

I'm down for a mini tour next year with just instrumentals and a couple epics to save Ged's voice.. Maybe write a crazy new heavily progged instrumental epic (call it an "extra-mental") so they're pumped on touring.. Pick a few select cities like LA, Toronto and oh I don't know.. Maybe Edmonton..

I think it's do-able.. I can see it happening.. Lol

Coventry,

Touring is precisely where the main revenue comes from now. The industry has changed drastically from 20, let alone 40, years ago.

The production costs depend almost entirely on what the band chooses. That said, some, perhaps most, fans expect a certain level of production. Bare bones is not what most want. Fewer people means less money.

Your mistake is saying that they "need a steady 3/4 house"... The band is guaranteed a set amount just to show up, regardless of what happens. This is what promoters do—the promoter(s) take the lion's share of risk at this level. After a certain attendance, the rest is pure gravy.

When designing a tour, there is always a worst case that is planned. High-end bands—like our beloved Rush—do NOT break even anymore. They make money every time now, and have for about 35 years.They have earned their stripes, and make a lot of money for showing up, whether they sell 25 percent or 90 percent.

Yeah - I guess I had contradicted my own post. If they get a set fee - it doesn't matter how many show up!

Still - what's the consensus that Rush is touring for the money or for the sake of touring?