Alex comments on R40....

Phantom

Just read the quote from Alex saying that they'll do some sort of special tour to celebrate their 40th anniversary and will play some of the songs that they haven't played in a very long time.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/fireworks-07.2013.php

At this point, I'm not so sure this will happen, but it makes for interesting speculative discussions nonetheless....

Have at it....

Edited by Phantom
  • Like 3

The interview was conducted just before the kick off of the European tour. I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't that around the same time that Ged said they definitely wouldn't be doing something to celebrate their 40th?

I think that if Ged publicly says they're doing something for it, I'll believe it then.

Ged is my lifelong best friend. We've been friends since we were thirteen and we share a bond that goes beyond the music, beyond everything. It's growing up together with your best mate. To be lucky enough to play in a Rock band for your whole life with your best friend is pretty special.

Awwww! Don't you just love Alex? :blush:

'The Garden' has a wonderful string arrangement. Who decided to bring the string section in?

We put down keyboard-sample strings and we really liked it but we thought rather than use sampled strings we'd bring in a real orchestra - Geddy and I were the catalysts for that. He's a real sucker for those sort of things. We decided to bring the strings in and David Campbell did a great job on the arrangement. That really tugs at your heart. I think there's something that's really classic about that arrangement and really heartfelt. The song works really well as a closer, the final chapter of the story. That single cello note at the very end is very poignant.

:ebert:

• Like 1

One can hope- please, please, please!

:D-13:

Roger that!

If they do I would imagine that they would cut down the stops from 70 somewhat.

This tour ends this summer, so if they were to start again in late spring they'd have plenty of rest w/ no album in between to work on.

As w/ everyone I'd be eager to see the set-list. I really hope that their 8 primary instrumentals would be on it tho.

It's interesting that he again makes reference to Jacob's Ladder, and that "zillions" of fans want to hear it. Though I don't see them touring for their 40th, I'm starting to think that for their next tour, whenever that is, there's at least a chance that they'll consider playing JL.
  • Like 1

R40 is not happening....period....

Geddy has stated numerous times that he wants an extended break...

and recently he joked about why did it have to be R40, why not R41 or R42, and that would be funnier...

Alex has said a few things in the recent past that have excited the fan base, only to be let down later....

I gotta think that's the case here...

I have been an advocate big time on this board for an R40 tour.....and with this tour ending August 4, R40 could start September of 2014 and that would give them a full year off the road....but i get the idea that Geddy wants like a year and half to two years off the road...

Now maybe in the late fall, after they have rested for a while, they start kicking around the idea that they could do some kind of limited tour or a fall 2014 tour, etc....and i don't think it would take much to put something together....

but they have toured 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.......that's a lot....

i always hope i am wrong....very wrong, but i don't see rush on stage in 2014, and most likely 2015.....

what would really be great is announcing that another leg of the Clockwork Angels tour will kick off in California in September of this year.....plenty of markets to go to that they skipped in 2013, but i don't see that happening either....

btw, huge enthusiastic crowd at Saratoga on tuesday...good to see them packing a place, some of the attendance for this tour have been a little weak....

Edited by nhlrush

Wow. That's a lot of demands on time, playing, logistics, production, etc.

Plus, it's not like every ticket is $40 or so. Many fans really can't afford to see them over and over.

Wow. That's a lot of demands on time, playing, logistics, production, etc.

Plus, it's not like every ticket is $40 or so. Many fans really can't afford to see them over and over.

Have to agree with the economics as well....Rush has flooded the market with shows in the past 7 years and with ticket prices the way they are, i know a lot of fans who would like to see them more but just can't, especially with how much they have spent on tickets and travel the past few years....

a lot of the upper levels of arenas have been either curtained off or been somewhat empty....some crowds have been as small as 5,500 fans....

as much as i want to go to rush shows anytime i can, i have to think that at some point you have to build up a little demand, if you oversaturate the market, you won't get the turnout...

Edited by nhlrush

They're only at home when they're on the run. ;)

Hope they hit the road as soon as possible but I think after 4 years in a row, they'll need a longer break.

Then again, touring is how money's made in the business nowadays. It's not like cd and singles sales are balancing the band's accounts.

This won't happen: Ged and Neil need a break, and I along with a lot of other fans aren't going to have the money to go that much. We know how Alex can get excited and talks and talks, or says things that are a thought, but not a shared common goal or a final decision. Edited by krlowe

The other thought is that they might have to ride the wave while they still can. They are on top of the world right now and they may find they need to keep milking the cow while the milk isn't dry. Don't know what that meant, but you know what I mean.
  • Like 1

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: unless you've spent years on the road, you really don't know what it's like. Even with 3 weeks out and one week home, being on the road sucks. I know Neil is a loner, but even he has a young child know, and I'm willing to bet that he's sick of it. After 10 years of missing damn near everything at home, out on the road, about the last 5 years I've had a job whereupon I've gotten home weekly or every weekend(currently) and it's nice to be able to have a social life and attend birthdays and other family members celebrations.

If you only take a road trip once or twice a year, trust me, it's not the same as living on the road, in a hotel, in an RV, in the sleeper berth of a truck, or whatever, it really takes it's toll (see lyrics to Limelight for further explanation) ... and these guys have been doing it as long as I've been alive.

I don't think the majority of people really appreciate these guys continuing to tour this hard at their ages. The toll on their psyche and their family has got to be tremendous. Yeah, I'm sure the money makes up for some of it, but do they even need the money any more? NO! I believe that they really do it for the fans, especially for the type of fans that are on these forums.

• Like 7

If Jacob's Ladder is being considered, I think an R41 Tour might be more likely and Geddy had already hinted at that. Alex can say what ever he wants but Geddy still has to be able to sing a full concert and clocking in at 2-1/2 hours isn't easy on the voice. Granted many of their songs are highly instrumental but it still takes its toll. Regardless, they could tour in 2015 for the 35th anniversary of Permanent Waves and present us with enitre album just like Moving Pictures. It would make for a great set! They can call it : R41- The Time Machine Too Tour.

:drool:

• Like 3

I have to believe it's not happening in 2014. Ged's said as much. I know Big Al can get really enthusiastic, but after giving it some thought, I'm wondering if he was mis-quoted. It happens all the time.

It's possible that he made reference to the band having given some consideration to some sort of scaled down mini tour, and it got quoted as " we're going to do it".

Just sayin'........

If they tour next year it will be in the Fall.

Agreed that if it were to happen, it'd have to be fall at the earliest, to give them a year off. I imagine Ray Danniels is all in favour for sure, but in the end, I just can't see Ged and Neil wanting to do it.

If Jacob's Ladder is being considered, I think an R41 Tour might be more likely and Geddy had already hinted at that. Alex can say what ever he wants but Geddy still has to be able to sing a full concert and clocking in at 2-1/2 hours isn't easy on the voice. Granted many of their songs are highly instrumental but it still takes its toll. Regardless, they could tour in 2015 for the 35th anniversary of Permanent Waves and present us with enitre album just like Moving Pictures. It would make for a great set! They can call it : R41- The Time Machine Too Tour.

:drool:

A combined Hemispheres/Permanent Waves tour would be fantastic. Hemispheres is one of my if not my favorite album of theirs.

I think that they should play all of their 8 primary instrumentals on the next tour. They're all excellent.

I can see them doing an R41-1/2 or R41.5 tour or something crazy like that.

Even if they don't tour in 2014, doesn't mean they can't still celebrate their 40th birthday the next year. They will have a celebration of R40, I'm positive. They are that loyal to their fans and wouldn't blow them off. It's just a matter of when.