When you sing along with Rush.....

tas7

Nope, I just sing along now. I used to try and hit the high notes years ago, but my testicles took a pounding.

Ironic because most of us need them smashed with a crowbar to reach that pitch.

Exactly my point :) I got tired of having to do that to sing like Geddy...

• Like 1

Nope, I just sing along now. I used to try and hit the high notes years ago, but my testicles took a pounding.

Crap. I'm slow.

Crap. I'm slow.

I'm not a guy, but even I cringe when the words 'testicles' and 'crowbar' are used in the same sentence! :scared:

Crap. I'm slow.

I'm not a guy, but even I cringe when the words 'testicles' and 'crowbar' are used in the same sentence! :scared:

I'm squirming in my seat. Enough internet for today.

This thread has put me in tears of pain. Please stay the hell away from my testicles with a crowbar. When I sing along I sing in my normal voice, when I try to go high like Geddy I end up hurting my throat and losing my voice quite quickly.

I had another glorious evening with the house all to myself again last night, so I decided to sing more Rush songs. I must have been warmed up from the night before, because I actually sounded decent (to my ears, anyway!) on a lot of songs! I was particularly pleased with my rendition of 'Everyday Glory', again. I hit the high parts well (the high "No matter what they say"), though I can't say for sure if it's as high as Geddy. I've long been taping my singing - for fun - so I can go back and compare and see how I'm doing.

I'm itching for a chance to sing along with songs, so I can figure out if I'm actually singing in tune. Actually, I have a bit of time before anyone gets home (I'm being so spoiled!), so maybe I'll just go ahead and play a song and see how it goes!

I had another glorious evening with the house all to myself again last night, so I decided to sing more Rush songs. I must have been warmed up from the night before, because I actually sounded decent (to my ears, anyway!) on a lot of songs! I was particularly pleased with my rendition of 'Everyday Glory', again. I hit the high parts well (the high "No matter what they say"), though I can't say for sure if it's as high as Geddy. I've long been taping my singing - for fun - so I can go back and compare and see how I'm doing.

I'm itching for a chance to sing along with songs, so I can figure out if I'm actually singing in tune. Actually, I have a bit of time before anyone gets home (I'm being so spoiled!), so maybe I'll just go ahead and play a song and see how it goes!

Record yourself on your computer and play it back.

I finally got to play some Rush songs and sing along to them, while recording them at the same time for fun. I've been pleasantly surprised with how darn close I've been to the actual key, when singing on my own! The high parts I'd done on 'Everyday Glory' were almost exactly the same as the high parts on the song, as I realized today when singing along to it! I'm so tickled that I did it.

I sang along with: 'Everyday Glory', 'Nobody's Hero', 'Resist', 'Tears', 'Freewill', 'Vital Signs', and 'Red Sector A'. All of them except for 'Vital Signs' were pretty much the same - 'VS' was a bit higher in reality than what I'd been singing. And, as expected, I couldn't do the high part in 'Freewill' - not even really close, to my disappointment, but ah well. At the very least, I've gained confidence that what I hear to be the key of the song is pretty spot-on, so that my singing with no accompaniment is very similar. I like that, as I'd kind of assumed I'd be pretty far off, assuming I didn't have a very good musical ear or whatever.

And... the best part is, I'm starting to sound more like how Geddy sings! After years of operatic singing, and only just getting into the 'speaking voice' range of singing, I've been improving, and I'm very happy. I'm finally getting the vibrato thing, which while I could do well in operatic style, I couldn't do in normal style, so this is a huge win for me. I can't tell you how awesome it's being to be able to sing Rush songs and sound even remotely ok doing it! I really, really need to be able to have the house to myself more often, so I can sing more; I just can't do when there's others around. I don't think anyone wants to hear me practicing belting out the end bits of 'Resist'!

Anyway. I'm feeling good about myself in this. :)

I finally got to play some Rush songs and sing along to them, while recording them at the same time for fun. I've been pleasantly surprised with how darn close I've been to the actual key, when singing on my own! The high parts I'd done on 'Everyday Glory' were almost exactly the same as the high parts on the song, as I realized today when singing along to it! I'm so tickled that I did it.

I sang along with: 'Everyday Glory', 'Nobody's Hero', 'Resist', 'Tears', 'Freewill', 'Vital Signs', and 'Red Sector A'. All of them except for 'Vital Signs' were pretty much the same - 'VS' was a bit higher in reality than what I'd been singing. And, as expected, I couldn't do the high part in 'Freewill' - not even really close, to my disappointment, but ah well. At the very least, I've gained confidence that what I hear to be the key of the song is pretty spot-on, so that my singing with no accompaniment is very similar. I like that, as I'd kind of assumed I'd be pretty far off, assuming I didn't have a very good musical ear or whatever.

And... the best part is, I'm starting to sound more like how Geddy sings! After years of operatic singing, and only just getting into the 'speaking voice' range of singing, I've been improving, and I'm very happy. I'm finally getting the vibrato thing, which while I could do well in operatic style, I couldn't do in normal style, so this is a huge win for me. I can't tell you how awesome it's being to be able to sing Rush songs and sound even remotely ok doing it! I really, really need to be able to have the house to myself more often, so I can sing more; I just can't do when there's others around. I don't think anyone wants to hear me practicing belting out the end bits of 'Resist'!

Listened to what I'd recorded last night, and I was very pleased, until I realized that my recorder had only recorded two songs! :( It has four folders on it with which to record things to, with space for 99 items in each folder, and it seems that when a folder is full, it doesn't automatically move onto the next folder - as there were two other empty folders - and instead simply beeps that the folder is full, and doesn't record. Well, I couldn't hear that beep over the sound of the Rush music playing. Grrr! I'm so annoyed by this; I'd really wanted to hear what 'Resist' sounded like! So, I got 'Everyday Glory' and 'Nobody's Hero', and that's it. :(

Listened to what I'd recorded last night, and I was very pleased, until I realized that my recorder had only recorded two songs! :( It has four folders on it with which to record things to, with space for 99 items in each folder, and it seems that when a folder is full, it doesn't automatically move onto the next folder - as there were two other empty folders - and instead simply beeps that the folder is full, and doesn't record. Well, I couldn't hear that beep over the sound of the Rush music playing. Grrr! I'm so annoyed by this; I'd really wanted to hear what 'Resist' sounded like! So, I got 'Everyday Glory' and 'Nobody's Hero', and that's it. :(

Awe that's a bummer. Good work doing that, though. Bet that was a blast. lol

'As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky' I don't see there is an issue I can handle Ged's vox easily. We have assumed control, we have assumed control. Yeah no problem here. :eyeroll: