Rush on Vinyl

LeaveMyThingAlone

I am trying to put together a collection of Rush on Vinyl and specifically I am focused on some of the rarer and newer ones. I know from about Presto on they got rarer and rarer, but does anyone have any official numbers as to how many of each was produced? I know Counterparts for example is extremely rare and I have never seen a Test for Echo.

I also see Vapor Trails and Counterparts selling for $200-$300 on eBay so they must be rare

Any numbers out there? Did they make a vinyl Test for Echo?

I think Test for Echo is the only one they didn't make vinyl for. My buddy, actually, has a copy of Clockwork Angels on vinyl still in its' package.

I hope that becomes worth a bit in the future.

If he has the red vinyl edition of Clockwork Angels limited to 300 copies only, it should certainly increase its value. If it's the regular version I think we need some time, as they can be had for a reasonably price. Once they run out of print it should be interesting to watch the prices on eBay :)

I am trying to put together a collection of Rush on Vinyl and specifically I am focused on some of the rarer and newer ones. I know from about Presto on they got rarer and rarer, but does anyone have any official numbers as to how many of each was produced? I know Counterparts for example is extremely rare and I have never seen a Test for Echo.

I also see Vapor Trails and Counterparts selling for $200-$300 on eBay so they must be rare

Any numbers out there? Did they make a vinyl Test for Echo?

Hi...c'mon over to the forum I started a couple of months back on Rush vinyl...lots of information, insight, and photos of some of the coolest, rarest, and not-so-rare Rush vinyl out there. Even Test of Echo on vinyl... :drool:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/82048-rush-vinyl-collectionthe-normal-and-the-abnormal/

I think Test for Echo is the only one they didn't make vinyl for. My buddy, actually, has a copy of Clockwork Angels on vinyl still in its' package.

I hope that becomes worth a bit in the future.

If he has the red vinyl edition of Clockwork Angels limited to 300 copies only, it should certainly increase its value. If it's the regular version I think we need some time, as they can be had for a reasonably price. Once they run out of print it should be interesting to watch the prices on eBay :)

Like anything collectible, the value of an item depends on two things: scarcity and what people will pay. Sure, you can have a limited release of something, but if now one wants the item, the price will plummet; thereby making it less rare and desireable. For Clockwork Angels, I think (not 100% sure, but I read it somewhere) that 5,000 copies of the black version were made on vinyl. I have a copy, as you can see in my other forum. I've opened it and listened to it, but I maintain it in a protective sleeve so its as close to mint as I can keep it. I did manage to secure a copy of CA on red vinyl - with a limited pressing of 300 worldwide, the price I paid, in my estimation was worth it. I have no intention of opening it, since I use my black vinyl as my play copy. I also have no intention of ever parting with it. I want to say that I think CA will follow suit with Counterparts and Vapor Trails, but with the resurgence of vinyl, I think it will lag behind those two in terms of overall value. Both CP and VT came out on vinyl (CP only came out in Brazil, Europe, and in Russia making it even more of a rarity) when the CD was King. Those who did buy the albums on vinyl did so because they still enjoyed the format, but it wasn't the norm. Now all of a sudden, those two discs are considered by many Rush vinyl fans to be grails...in some cases, even moreso than the Moon S/T release. CA meanwhile is still available for a reasonable price in most record stores, so if you have the chance, grab a copy before its too late. Come to think of it, I might go get another copy just to tuck away for a rainy day...

Kingdirk,

you're absolutely right about supply and demand. That's why I think it's too early to say if the regular Clockwork Angels vinyl will increase in value. At the moment they go for as little as 20$ on eBay, which is less than I payed for mine. It wouldn't surprise me if the market would settle down in a year or two, and the prices would have gone up. I remember when Snakes & Arrows were released on vinyl I thought to myself, that I would have plenty of time to buy it, and suddenly it was gone. Perhaps the same will happen for Clockwork Angels, unless they just keep printing them. After all they changed record labels :huh:

Kingdirk,

you're absolutely right about supply and demand. That's why I think it's too early to say if the regular Clockwork Angels vinyl will increase in value. At the moment they go for as little as 20$ on eBay, which is less than I payed for mine. It wouldn't surprise me if the market would settle down in a year or two, and the prices would have gone up. I remember when Snakes & Arrows were released on vinyl I thought to myself, that I would have plenty of time to buy it, and suddenly it was gone. Perhaps the same will happen for Clockwork Angels, unless they just keep printing them. After all they changed record labels :huh:

Yeah...Snakes and Arrows is another one where the pricing is so out of whack. I'm glad I have my copy though. As long as they don't make another pressing or a reissue, CA's value will increase. Rush's overall brand value has gone up since they became "cool Hall of Famers". If you check out collectorsfrenzy.com...pick out one of those rarer albums like VT or SA...and look at the historical pricing, you'll see that things really went crazy over the past year or two. All of a sudden, this generation is finally finding out that both Rush and vinyl are cool, and as such, the prices are going through the roof. Not to mention, these are some of the band's greatest recordings. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

People are clamoring over special or limited releases (coloured or something "different") and record companies know this. Releasing CA on red vinyl was brilliant. If my brain serves me right, its the first official alternative album release by the band since Hemispheres (red vinyl and pic disc). Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you are a collector), unofficial pressings like ABC 1974 and Moon Over Cleveland are also capitalizing on the buying public's emotions to have something unique. I admit, I'm one of those that likes the different versions...to a point. Imagine if they decided to re-release Feedback (already tough to find in mint condition) on psychaedelic marbled vinyl? The fans would go crazy...I know I would. But as you reinforced, the market all about supply and demand.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...

One quick question: Does anyone know how would I know tell from the outside whether my copy of Clockwork Angels is the red vinyl or not? Is there anything on the outside of it that would tell me? I don't want to open the cellophane to find out!

Collectorfrenzy.com isn't working for me. Is that the correct web site?

The original pressing of Clockwork Angels in the US was released by Roadrunner Records on catalog #1686-176561. The red vinyl re-release out of Germany was also released by Roadrunner, but through a different distributor - Cargo (See the small "Cargo" logo in the photo below) on catalog #RRCAR 7656-1. Regarding the website, I believe you might have left out the "s" - its collectorsfrenzy.com. Hope this helps!

http://i.imgur.com/8xmi6ns.jpg

The original pressing of Clockwork Angels in the US was released by Roadrunner Records on catalog #1686-176561. The red vinyl re-release out of Germany was also released by Roadrunner, but through a different distributor - Cargo (See the small "Cargo" logo in the photo below) on catalog #RRCAR 7656-1. Regarding the website, I believe you might have left out the "s" - its collectorsfrenzy.com. Hope this helps!

I just got my CA version with all these numbers and words and the vinyl is black!!!!!!!! Bummer!!!!

I just got my CA version with all these numbers and words and the vinyl is black!!!!!!!! Bummer!!!!

With that barcode and Cargo Records license? Very strange.

I ordered it from my local record store here in Sacramento. $51.99 Import. I was so excited I could get the red version for that price. It took about 2 weeks and when I got home. BLACK VINYL!!!! I was so bummed. It has the exact same numbers and words as the picture. !!

I ordered it from my local record store here in Sacramento. $51.99 Import. I was so excited I could get the red version for that price. It took about 2 weeks and when I got home. BLACK VINYL!!!! I was so bummed. It has the exact same numbers and words as the picture. !!

If that's what was promised, you should take it back.

I did a special order from my local record store. It was marked from Germany and an import. They have a policy if its not what you want then you do not have to buy. I figured no loss to me. When the called and said it was in I took a picture off here and went to pic up. I did not want to open it I wanted to keep it sealed BUT........... It got the better of me and I opened it and Black Vinyl! I now have 3 copies. #1 all three autos in frame. #2 Sealed and now #3 opened German import Black Vinyl. No biggie I wanted an extra copy to listen to but I paid $20 more for this one!! Just a little bummed that's all!

I did a special order from my local record store. It was marked from Germany and an import. They have a policy if its not what you want then you do not have to buy. I figured no loss to me. When the called and said it was in I took a picture off here and went to pic up. I did not want to open it I wanted to keep it sealed BUT........... It got the better of me and I opened it and Black Vinyl! I now have 3 copies. #1 all three autos in frame. #2 Sealed and now #3 opened German import Black Vinyl. No biggie I wanted an extra copy to listen to but I paid $20 more for this one!! Just a little bummed that's all!

That's a shame that you didn't get the red discs...but to have an fully autographed copy by the Holy Triumvirate would trump my disappointment. Last tour, I had them sign my copy of Moving Pictures...for some reason, I chose not to send anything this time.

That's a shame that you didn't get the red discs...but to have an fully autographed copy by the Holy Triumvirate would trump my disappointment. Last tour, I had them sign my copy of Moving Pictures...for some reason, I chose not to send anything this time.

I'd love to have a signed copy of Clockwork Angels, or at least the album flat. I never found one of those.