MLB Trade Rumors

anagramking

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 31 2005, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jul 31 2005, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 29 2005, 06:42 PM)
Another rumor is that Manny Ramirez has asked again to be traded. That surprises me.

I'm not all that surprised by it really. I remember when Manny played for the Tribe a few years back, and there was always something about him I didn't like. He always seemed to act like a cocky SOB. I mean, he never talks to the media about any of these rumors, so people never know if they're true or not. Does he even speak english?

Whether he speaks English or not has nothing to do with baseball. I think back to Fernandomania. Nobody cared back then. They only cared that he came to the park and gave the fans their money's worth. Shoeless Joe was illiterate. So was Rudy York. Today, you have a lot of players who can't speak English. They learn to play ball in their native land and make it to the Show, and that's it. If I was a Tribe fan, I think the guy I'd miss the least would be Albert Belle. Manny is going to pass Gehrig for most career grand slams before he calls it a career. And he'll get back to batting over .300 again.

I wasn't saying that speaking english had anything to do with baseball, but rather if that's why Manny doesn't talk to the press. I agree that it has nothing to do with the game, but it would be nice if he actually cared enough about the fans to let them know what was going on. He's a damn good player, and I'm not saying that he isn't. Can't take that away from him. Probably one of the best power hitters that I have ever seen play the game (in my day). As for Albert Belle, he was a good hitter as well, but seemed to have some problems off the field with drugs and such. I never really liked him or disliked him, but rather tried to ignore him. Don't get me wrong there, AK. I never cared for him either. laugh.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jul 31 2005, 11:18 PM)
Another rumor is that Manny Ramirez has asked again to be traded. That surprises me.

I'm not all that surprised by it really. I remember when Manny played for the Tribe a few years back, and there was always something about him I didn't like. He always seemed to act like a cocky SOB. I mean, he never talks to the media about any of these rumors, so people never know if they're true or not. Does he even speak english?

Whether he speaks English or not has nothing to do with baseball. I think back to Fernandomania. Nobody cared back then. They only cared that he came to the park and gave the fans their money's worth. Shoeless Joe was illiterate. So was Rudy York. Today, you have a lot of players who can't speak English. They learn to play ball in their native land and make it to the Show, and that's it. If I was a Tribe fan, I think the guy I'd miss the least would be Albert Belle. Manny is going to pass Gehrig for most career grand slams before he calls it a career. And he'll get back to batting over .300 again.

I wasn't saying that speaking english had anything to do with baseball, but rather if that's why Manny doesn't talk to the press. I agree that it has nothing to do with the game, but it would be nice if he actually cared enough about the fans to let them know what was going on. He's a damn good player, and I'm not saying that he isn't. Can't take that away from him. Probably one of the best power hitters that I have ever seen play the game (in my day). As for Albert Belle, he was a good hitter as well, but seemed to have some problems off the field with drugs and such. I never really liked him or disliked him, but rather tried to ignore him. Don't get me wrong there, AK. I never cared for him either. laugh.gif

I don't think Manny is the most accessible guy, but he's not the least accessible, either. A lot of greats have been that way. Used to be if someone got Mickey Mantle's autograph, he'd sign it "F*** you!! Mickey Mantle." A friend of mine had his ball signed by Ted Williams, after he got Bobby Doerr to talk him into finally signing his ball, and Williams threw his ball down on the pavement and said "There's your ball, kid." I have no idea how Manny is. I don't think he could be worse than Albert Belle was, though.

I think it's good that he privately requests to be traded as opposed to making it a long drawn out soap opera in the media. It was the Red Sox front office that leaked his request, from what I've gathered.

Sorry if I misconstrued your earlier comments, NPF.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 1 2005, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jul 31 2005, 11:18 PM)

I don't think Manny is the most accessible guy, but he's not the least accessible, either. A lot of greats have been that way. Used to be if someone got Mickey Mantle's autograph, he'd sign it "F*** you!! Mickey Mantle." A friend of mine had his ball signed by Ted Williams, after he got Bobby Doerr to talk him into finally signing his ball, and Williams threw his ball down on the pavement and said "There's your ball, kid." I have no idea how Manny is. I don't think he could be worse than Albert Belle was, though.

I think it's good that he privately requests to be traded as opposed to making it a long drawn out soap opera in the media. It was the Red Sox front office that leaked his request, from what I've gathered.

Sorry if I misconstrued your earlier comments, NPF.

No sweat man. I enjoy having these discussions. Anyways, about Manny... It's probably a good thing that he keeps his trading news away from the media, like you said, to keep away from soap opera, but it's also a bad thing. Even though no one hears any official word about the trades in the media, they still make all of these rumors and talk about it anyway. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be better for Manny to just tell the press what really is going on so we can hear the official word since we have to listen to rumors anyway.

Archived