MLB Trade Rumors

anagramking

I don't understand the Sheffield deal for the Yankees. The only thing I can think of is that Sheff is not a good fit in the Yankee clubhouse. I guess the Mets aren't ready to give up on Beltran. Cairo is insurance at 2nd base. The Yanks have had trouble there since dealing Soriano. Money isn't an issue for either club. I just don't get this deal at all.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 4 2005, 11:10 PM)
better defence for yankees? Especially in the OF....Bernie Williams is no longer the CF he was....

But that bat is a lot to give up, BALCO or no BALCO.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 4 2005, 11:14 PM)
better defence for yankees?  Especially in the OF....Bernie Williams is no longer the CF he was....

Who knows maybe the yamks are trying to light a fire under his ass...he fliped out last week over the rumors and says teams trying to trade for him better realized he won't make it easy...he's being totally unprofessional about it....apparently that put an end to the Mets' offer (they were close to making it) Now the latest is Sheff going back to Florida for pitcher A.J. Burnett (which makes way more sense for yanks) and OF Juan Encarnician...this trade makes more sense i think

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 4 2005, 11:23 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 4 2005, 11:14 PM)
better defence for yankees?  Especially in the OF....Bernie Williams is no longer the CF he was....

Who knows maybe the yamks are trying to light a fire under his ass...he fliped out last week over the rumors and says teams trying to trade for him better realized he won't make it easy...he's being totally unprofessional about it....apparently that put an end to the Mets' offer (they were close to making it) Now the latest is Sheff going back to Florida for pitcher A.J. Burnett (which makes way more sense for yanks) and OF Juan Encarnician...this trade makes more sense i think

I heard Sheff would be okay with going to Florida. That does make much more sense for the Yanks. I have Sheff on one of my teams, and he's doing well. Not sure what kind of fire they need to light, because the Yanks are desperate for pitching, not runs.

Not a rumor, this is an actual trade:

Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - The Minnesota Twins acquired second baseman Bret Boone from the Seattle Mariners on Monday in exchange for a player to be named later.

Boone was designated for assignment by the Mariners on July 3, a surprising move that left Seattle 10 days to trade, release or send the 14-year veteran to the minors if he cleared waivers. The Twins have two second basemen on their roster already -- Juan Castro and Luis Rivas -- but with infielders Michael Cuddyer and Glenn Williams on the disabled list, they certainly have room for Boone, who will be in uniform for Thursday's game against the Angels. A three-time All-Star, the 36-year-old Boone was batting just .231 with seven home runs and 34 RBI in 74 games for the Mariners. He was in the final season of a four-year contract with Seattle. Boone signed a one-year deal with the Mariners in December 2000 and established career-highs of 37 homers, 141 RBI and a .331 average in his first season with the club to merit a four-year contract. He drove in more than 100 runs in each of the next two years and has hit at least 24 homers in four straight seasons. In a big league career that started with Seattle in 1992 and featured stops in Cincinnati, Atlanta and San Diego, his 252 career home runs rank sixth all- time among major league second basemen.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 11 2005, 06:11 PM)
Not a rumor, this is an actual trade:

Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - The Minnesota Twins acquired second baseman Bret Boone from the Seattle Mariners on Monday in exchange for a player to be named later.

Boone was designated for assignment by the Mariners on July 3, a surprising move that left Seattle 10 days to trade, release or send the 14-year veteran to the minors if he cleared waivers. The Twins have two second basemen on their roster already -- Juan Castro and Luis Rivas -- but with infielders Michael Cuddyer and Glenn Williams on the disabled list, they certainly have room for Boone, who will be in uniform for Thursday's game against the Angels. A three-time All-Star, the 36-year-old Boone was batting just .231 with seven home runs and 34 RBI in 74 games for the Mariners. He was in the final season of a four-year contract with Seattle. Boone signed a one-year deal with the Mariners in December 2000 and established career-highs of 37 homers, 141 RBI and a .331 average in his first season with the club to merit a four-year contract. He drove in more than 100 runs in each of the next two years and has hit at least 24 homers in four straight seasons. In a big league career that started with Seattle in 1992 and featured stops in Cincinnati, Atlanta and San Diego, his 252 career home runs rank sixth all- time among major league second basemen.

Don't you mean 4 bats and a rosin bag.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 20 2005, 06:27 AM)
O's and Marlins talking blockbuster trade.....O's would send pitchers Hayden Penn and Jorge Julio along with outfielder Larry Bigbie to the Fish for A.J. Burnett and 3B Mike Lowell....

I heard the Pirates would be a third party in this deal. I forget what they would be doing, though.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 20 2005, 06:27 AM)
O's and Marlins talking blockbuster trade.....O's would send pitchers Hayden Penn and Jorge Julio along with outfielder Larry Bigbie to the Fish for A.J. Burnett and 3B Mike Lowell....

This deal hit a snag because the O's want Marlins to pay 10 mil of 21 mil left on Lowell's contract....

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 23 2005, 08:06 PM)
Padres working on a deal to send Nevin to O's for Ponson...all depends on Nevin waiving the no-trade clause...Why on earth would Padres take Ponson is beyond me.... confused13.gif

The Padres want to dump Nevin that badly. All he does is cry about how Petco robs him of his stats. And he gets hurt a lot. So he has those two factors working against him big time. As for Ponson, a change of scenery, a pitcher's park, who knows?

Just ran across rumors about Soriano going to the Mets for blue chip prospects.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3827446

I would think that the Rangers most pressing need is starting pitching. Soriano is a tough one to figure out. He crushes bad pitching like nobody else, but otherwise, he can be frustrating at times, as the Yanks learned before. I think this move is a typical Mets move. If there was ever a team that had money and misspent most of it, the Mets are the clear winner. This does not seem like something Minaya would do, though.

Speaking of trades, I think the Indians made a good move getting rid of Jody Gerut. He was so impressive his first year, but stats showed that he was just creaming Tiger pitching which was bringing his average to new heights. Now we all know when Jody was playing his rookie season, the Tigers had some of the worst pitching in the majors, so who wasn't crushing them? He's really gone on a downhill slide from then on, and I didn't really enjoy watching him play either. Seems to me like he doesn't really give a damn when he's on the field. Jason Dubois really seems to be making some progress in the past few games, considering he started off his first two starts with the Indian's with like 5 strikeouts. He's also a rookie, but I'm hoping that he won't flop like Gerut did since he's performing against some of the bigger teams and not the Tigers. Anyway, it's better than what Gerut was doing for the club. Still hoping they'll make a run for the playoffs this year, but if not there's always next year! trink39.gif

*Edited for spelling doh.gif

Soriano seems to be the most coveted player out there going into Sunday's trading deadline. The Cubs are interested, as are the Mets and the Orioles. Soriano's contract goes through 2006. The Cubs would want Soriano to play the outfield. They seem to be comfortable platooning Todd Walker, Jerry Hairston, and Neifi Perez at second, for reasons I don't know. The Rangers are not actively trying to deal Soriano, but they are listening, is what they say. Michael Young did move to shortstop to accommodate Soriano when he arrived last year. The Mets do not want to give up Cameron in any deal for Soriano, and the O's are not willing to eat enough of Ponson's contract.

Another rumor is that Manny Ramirez has asked again to be traded. That surprises me. His average is off, but he is driving in tons of runs. And when I saw them play here last week, he was hustling like I've never seen him hustle. He was chasing after fouls, and even sliding to the wall to try to catch fouls. Usually he looks so laid back out there. No way he'll get dealt, though. His contract is enormous, and only the Yankees could afford him. Manny in pinstripes is always talked about because he grew up in the Washington Heights neighborhood. The Red Sox did put him up on waivers before 2004, hoping to be done with his big contract, but nobody claimed him. Not even the Yankees would bite.

Another rumored deal is the Twins send JC Romero and either Joe Mays or Kyle Loshe to Boston for Bill Mueller and Kevin Millar.

AJ Burnett is less likely to be moved now. Teams want a 72 hour window to discuss contract extensions if they deal for him. The White and Red Sox were the front runners.

More players on the block here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jul 30 2005, 12:27 AM)
anagram participate in my poll b4 the deadline expires!!!! FREE BEER @ the rush concert possibly

I was out of town when you ran the poll.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 29 2005, 06:42 PM)
Another rumor is that Manny Ramirez has asked again to be traded. That surprises me.

I'm not all that surprised by it really. I remember when Manny played for the Tribe a few years back, and there was always something about him I didn't like. He always seemed to act like a cocky SOB. I mean, he never talks to the media about any of these rumors, so people never know if they're true or not. Does he even speak english?

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jul 31 2005, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 29 2005, 06:42 PM)
Another rumor is that Manny Ramirez has asked again to be traded.  That surprises me.

I'm not all that surprised by it really. I remember when Manny played for the Tribe a few years back, and there was always something about him I didn't like. He always seemed to act like a cocky SOB. I mean, he never talks to the media about any of these rumors, so people never know if they're true or not. Does he even speak english?

Whether he speaks English or not has nothing to do with baseball. I think back to Fernandomania. Nobody cared back then. They only cared that he came to the park and gave the fans their money's worth. Shoeless Joe was illiterate. So was Rudy York. Today, you have a lot of players who can't speak English. They learn to play ball in their native land and make it to the Show, and that's it. If I was a Tribe fan, I think the guy I'd miss the least would be Albert Belle. Manny is going to pass Gehrig for most career grand slams before he calls it a career. And he'll get back to batting over .300 again.

Archived