DON'T use freecreditreport.com

rushgoober

For those who've ever heard the catchy jingles of freecreditreport.com commercials, beware - there is nothing free about it.

Often I've looked up companies on a website called ripoffreport.com, and I should have done this before using them. A quick search found me literally HUNDREDS of complaints about the company (oddly all for the same thing, charges on their card people didn't think they agreed to) on that site and several others like yelp, contacthelp.com, etc.

I don't think I'm a stupid person, but somehow their service that I thought was charging me $1 ended up charging me $32.95 + a $19.95 monthly fee that I never would have consciously agreed to unless the website was being seriously deceptive. AND I guess my fault for not reading the fine print, so I do take credit for my part in not getting around their deceptive wording and for not checking my bank account immediately to see the charges. Or maybe I was just horrendously stupid to give my credit card number to any company, no matter how big they are.

After a LENGTHY conversation with customer service and a supervisor, I got PART of my money refunded, but not all of it. Anyway, you have been duly warned. There's a TON of negativity towards this company online. Just a warning - use them if you must, but read every corner of the website to make sure you know what you're getting into first. If I can save one person the hassle I went through, that won't get me my money back, but it will help ease the sting a bit.

File this one under no shit. You can request a FREE credit report from any of the major credit reporting agencies once a year already.

Exactly. Catchy jingles though...

File this one under no shit. You can request a FREE credit report from any of the major credit reporting agencies once a year already.

yes, well, not all of us were blessed with that knowledge beforeheand. something about FREE credit report.com got me - my bad. never again. anyway, if i can help even 1 or 2 people avoid this company...

Yes, but they have such good commercials!

i was talking to the supervisor on the phone while trying to get all my money back and letting him know as we were speaking that i was finding literally hundreds of complaints online all for the same thing which had to represent thousands of people who didn't bother to complain online. his response? first he thought people were just making it up. then he said with all their billions of customers (he actually said billions) he thought that was pretty good that only several thousand were complaining. the guy was really awful - didn't seem to care at all. their good commercials can go f*ck themselves. ;)

Yes, but they have such good commercials!

i was talking to the supervisor on the phone while trying to get all my money back and letting him know as we were speaking that i was finding literally hundreds of complaints online all for the same thing which had to represent thousands of people who didn't bother to complain online. his response? first he thought people were just making it up. then he said with all their billions of customers (he actually said billions) he thought that was pretty good that only several thousand were complaining. the guy was really awful - didn't seem to care at all. their good commercials can go f*ck themselves. ;)

Was his name Peggy?

It's never free if the company can afford commercials on prime time television for a seemingly endless period of time. I always recommend doing research on a website before trusting it with any personal information that might be used against you. Doing so has saved me some trouble while looking for obsolete electronic parts.

I hope they didn't charge you too much.

Edited by USB Connector