Principled Man

Good film. A feel-good film. A good account of the triumph of Jackie Robinson over the racist baseball world of the 40's. Good performaces all around, especially by the redoubtable Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey. Too bad we didn't see more of Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher. Meloni still has that Law & Order tough guy presence. Hope that actor Alan Tudyk doesn't suffer any bad side-effects from playing racist Phillies manager Ben Chapman!

OK, so here's what I didn't like. Some film critics have said that the film was too tame, and I agree with them. This is just my opinion, but they should have shown much more of the nastiness, the pure hatred, the death threats. We got to see only a sprinkle of what Robinson and his family experienced. I really hope that the producers of the film didn't water down the racist element just for fear of turning off audiences of today. I think the makers of the film sacrificed too much of the ugly truth in favor of the happy truth.

I do recommend the film to everyone. :ebert: Ford was great; he may get some award nominations. You'll leave the theater happy, but maybe a little unfulfilled.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQwMDU4MDI3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU1NDgyOQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

• Like 1

Good film. A feel-good film. A good account of the triumph of Jackie Robinson over the racist baseball world of the 40's. Good performaces all around, especially by the redoubtable Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey. Too bad we didn't see more of Christopher Meloni as Leo Durocher. Meloni still has that Law & Order tough guy presence. Hope that actor Alan Tudyk doesn't suffer any bad side-effects from playing racist Phillies manager Ben Chapman!

OK, so here's what I didn't like. Some film critics have said that the film was too tame, and I agree with them. This is just my opinion, but they should have shown much more of the nastiness, the pure hatred, the death threats. We got to see only a sprinkle of what Robinson and his family experienced. I really hope that the producers of the film didn't water down the racist element just for fear of turning off audiences of today. I think the makers of the film sacrificed too much of the ugly truth in favor of the happy truth.

I do recommend the film to everyone. :ebert: Ford was great; he may get some award nominations. You'll leave the theater happy, but maybe a little unfulfilled.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQwMDU4MDI3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU1NDgyOQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

I haven't seen it but holding back on the language and virulence was one of the things I was wondering about to my wife. Then again, if it was depicted as it actually happened, there might be actual violence at the showings, so I can kind of see why they took the approach they did...it was that bad (Chapman being the worst from what I've read.)

The other thing is that sports movies' action footage is usually so bad it ruins at least those scenes, if not the whole movie. How realistic was the actual play in the movie?

Being a huge sports fan, I pretty much know the full story, so there won't be a lot new here for me. If I go it will because of my wife and kids, and because seeing the story is probably worth it.

I haven't seen it but holding back on the language and virulence was one of the things I was wondering about to my wife. Then again, if it was depicted as it actually happened, there might be actual violence at the showings, so I can kind of see why they took the approach they did...it was that bad (Chapman being the worst from what I've read.)

The other thing is that sports movies' action footage is usually so bad it ruins at least those scenes, if not the whole movie. How realistic was the actual play in the movie?

Being a huge sports fan, I pretty much know the full story, so there won't be a lot new here for me. If I go it will because of my wife and kids, and because seeing the story is probably worth it.

The action on the field was excellent. Very realistic. Maybe just one of those sappy slow-motion shots. My favorite shots were from just off the plate, outside the left batter's box, so you could really see Robinson crush the ball. As for the language and racist slurs, they were peppered throughout the film...except for one scene. You'll know which one it is..... :o

I don't know if a more realistic version of the racism would cause violence in theaters. I do know that the "politically correct" movement in this country is teaching everyone to be afraid of words, which is much more harmful than the actual words....IMO. :sarcastic: If movie-goers are educated and sensible enough to know that films like 42 are too important to water down the language, then there won't be any problems.

I saw 42 today and i really liked it. I agree with

Principled Man , Harrison Ford was at his best. i didnt recognize him at first ! I learned alot from the movie but have to google how Jackie actually died. How did Jackie and Branch die ? What became of Jackies son? I have to google that.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/learning/parent/home.parent.gif Conversation Starters Vacation Donation Plan Discussion Topics http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif Site Guide Feedback Job Opportunities

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/learning/gotonytweb.gif

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/learning/general/onthisday.gif

October 25, 1972

OBITUARY

Jackie Robinson, First Black in Major Leagues, Dies

By DAVE ANDERSON

Jackie Robinson, who made history in 1947 by becoming the first black baseball player in the major leagues, suffered a heart attack in his home in Stamford, Conn., yesterday morning and died at Stamford Hospital at 7:10 A.M. He was 53 years old.

As an all-round athlete in college and later the star infielder of the Brooklyn Dodgers, he became the pioneer for a generation of blacks in the major professional sports after World War II.

Mr. Robinson, who was honored at the World Series in Cincinnati a week ago Sunday, had been in failing health for several years. He recovered from a heart attack in 1968 but then lost the sight of one eye and the partial sight of the other as a result of diabetes.

He remained active, though, in national campaigns against drug addiction—from which his son, Jackie Jr., had been recovering before he was killed in 1971 in an automobile accident. In fact, Mr. Robinson planned to attend a drug symposium yesterday sponsored by the business community in Washington.

When he was stricken at home, an emergency call was made to the Stamford police by his wife, Rachel, who is an associate professor of psychiatric nursing at the Yale School of Medicine. They applied external massage and oxygen before a Fire Department ambulance took him to the hospital.

Looking forward to seeing this, ashamed to say never got around to watching original"The Jackie Robinson Story" staring the man himself... With all accolades justly deserving and with the violent ignorant racism Robinson had to endure in his first year with the Dodgers. We should also remember Larry Doby the first black player in the American League with Bill Veeck's Cleveland Indians, just month's after Jackie broke the color barrier. But not like Jackie who was first integrated through the Brooklyn farm system. Veeck had a different approach and had Doby go directly from the Negro League to Cleveland of the American League. (The day he signed with Cleveland he was in the lineup against the WhiteSoxs )Many think because of this Doby had it much worse then Jackie trying to adapt in the segregated American League. And had to endure the same level of blatant prejudice by opposing teams, fans and team mates.... But without the focus and fanfare of the media simply because he was not first in the Majors. Hall Of Famer, 7 time American League All Star helped the Indians win there last World Championship in 1948. (first black player to hit a home run in W.S.) Edited by softfilter
  • Like 2