Need help from people experienced with buying tickets

So I'm going to the show in Austin this go around, and I'm wanting to get one really good ticket.

First, does anyone have one for a manageable price? :P

Second, what's the best way to go about this without paying $1000 like some are priced for on stubhub?

I'd like to get pretty darn close, obviously without breaking the bank. I'm fixing to go to college :LOL:

Thank y'all!

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

It's probably too late if tickets have been on sale for a while but I've paid the extra to TicketMaster for the "Official Platinum" seats for a couple of recent shows. They're usually less expensive than a scalper might ask, you know exactly what seat you'll have and (hopefully) the band gets their cut of the money above "face" value. Some VIP Nation seats have been awesome.... front, second, third row, dead center.... but you have to buy right when they go on sale to hope for those best seat locations and even if you do that, you're still in the dark about your actual seat location until you pick your tickets up on the day of the show. Also, always visit TicketMaster and/or LiveNation often. blocks of seats often get released well after tickets went on sale and you can get good or decent seats at pretty unexpected times.

Otherwise, keep an eye out here and on other boards. Folks with extras might post them up for other fans to buy before going the CraigsList, eBay or StubHub route. And as a last resort, camp on the door of the venue and be the first in line on the morning of the show for a single. I've heard a couple of great stories about walk-up, day-of, great ticket scores simply by being the first in line when the venue box office opens on the morning of the show.

Good luck and rock on!

The guy in the Snakes & Arrows t-shirt, dead middle, front row, landed his ticket on the morning of this show at Shoreline Amphitheater... it does happen!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%2007%20Shoreline/Rush07Shoreline002.jpg

The best way to go about it is to try and get the ticket the day they go on sale. If you don't get what you want then, the odds are pretty good you'll be paying a ton on stubhub or somewhere else on the internet if you want an up close ticket. Another way to get really good seats that won't cost you anything is to see if any of the local radio stations are giving away tickets for the show. That one maybe a longshot to win though.

Sometimes good tickets will open up on the day of the show. Usually it's radio stations who had contests giving back the tickets they didn't give away. If they're playing an arena, close tickets may open up once the stage is set up and they realise they can open up more seats. Keep checking the venues page, especially when the show date gets closer because something may open up. Until then, just buy a cheap seat for the show you want to go to that way you can at least still be there if nothing good in your price range comes up.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Thanks to you both. Seems like my best bet is a bit of luck. Better than nothing. Ill be checking sites daily, and I might even go down to Austin the day of the show. Fingers are crossed on my end.

It's probably too late if tickets have been on sale for a while but I've paid the extra to TicketMaster for the "Official Platinum" seats for a couple of recent shows. They're usually less expensive than a scalper might ask, you know exactly what seat you'll have and (hopefully) the band gets their cut of the money above "face" value. Some VIP Nation seats have been awesome.... front, second, third row, dead center.... but you have to buy right when they go on sale to hope for those best seat locations and even if you do that, you're still in the dark about your actual seat location until you pick your tickets up on the day of the show. Also, always visit TicketMaster and/or LiveNation often. blocks of seats often get released well after tickets went on sale and you can get good or decent seats at pretty unexpected times.

Otherwise, keep an eye out here and on other boards. Folks with extras might post them up for other fans to buy before going the CraigsList, eBay or StubHub route. And as a last resort, camp on the door of the venue and be the first in line on the morning of the show for a single. I've heard a couple of great stories about walk-up, day-of, great ticket scores simply by being the first in line when the venue box office opens on the morning of the show.

Good luck and rock on!

The guy in the Snakes & Arrows t-shirt, dead middle, front row, landed his ticket on the morning of this show at Shoreline Amphitheater... it does happen!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%2007%20Shoreline/Rush07Shoreline002.jpg

That's me in the picture! It was all pure luck and timing that I scored that front row ticket. I was actually going to buy a lawn ticket when the guy at the box office ask if I wanted front row. Hell yes I do!!

You can always check the venue's website before the show. Tickets that were 'reserved' but never claimed by clubs and radio stations get thrown back into the mix. For the Time Machine Tour, a buddy of mine kept checking every five minutes. Finally, a four pack of front row center seats showed up. He paid $92 each. Another buddy got a four pack the day of the show in the fourth row, center stage.

For the Clockwork Angels Tour, I started Googling 'Rush Tickets', which sent me to a bunch of distributor type websites. There was a pair of second row center seats that started out at $1200 each a week before the show. The show never sold out, and each day they were cheaper and cheaper. Two days before the show, they were $350 a seat, so I grabbed them.

Vapor Trails - Indy: My wife and I had back of the pavilion seats. On a whim, and a good deal of wifely indulgence, I walked up to the venue box office when it opened a few hours before the show. Ended up with two seats very close to the stage, although not front row. Snakes and Arrows 2nd leg, bought 1 ticket off of ticketmaster the day of the show for Cincy. It was fairly close, probably could have done better at the ticket window but didn't want to drive two hours without ticket in hand as it were.

Day of show there will be stuff available from ticket vendor or the venue box office. You are still going to pay the face value of the ticket, but probably not any of the super duper premium package stuff. It is better if there is one of you, the more seats you need together the harder it is to get upfront. If it is just you, patience will be rewarded.