The Paul Simon Thread—What's your favorite?

Tombstone Mountain

I love that song! (Cecilia).

My parents listened to them a lot, which is where I picked them up.

Celia, you're breaking my heart

You're shaking my confidence daily

Or as I heard it as a little boy...

You're shaking my carpets zany!

:LOL:

Edited by Unattractive Truth
  • Like 1

I love that song! (Cecilia).

My parents listened to them a lot, which is where I picked them up.

You're shaking my confidence daily

Or as I heard it as a little boy...

You're shaking my carpets zany!

:LOL: Probably a good thing you misheard the lyrics!

Time time time

to see whats become of me

as I looked around

for my possibilities

i was so hard to please

Is it bad that I imagine Marcilene playing bass for Paul Simon now??

Actually, Marcilene would totally fit! And you are the first person who admits they recognized my avatar!

Edited by Animate

I adore Paul Simon. His talent is profound and I think he is one of the great American songwriters. I literally played Graceland non-stop for 6 months when it came out. I could not get over the sounds! Then, I discovered his catalog and became an enormous fan.

:wub: Paul Simon :wub:

Great thread, TM! :cheerleader:

Here's my contribution. And some finger style playing, too. This song still makes me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0SN6Eck9eQ

Okay, well, two, I have to put this one in. It is my favourite Paul Simon song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksa4VjKE3RY

I love the entire Hearts and Bones album...I was going to post this very song.

• Like 1

CG, the opening lyrics to your first osted song immediately came to me:

One and one-half wandering Jews

Free to wander wherever they choose

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

The Blood of Christ Mountains

Of New Mexico

On the last leg of the journey

They started a long time ago

Beautiful!

Yeah, I noticed that! :LOL: one and one-half wandering jews? :unsure: I guess it loses something in the translation :unsure:

:rfl:

It is cause Paul had married and devorced Carrie Fisher (Princess Leigh!) whose dad is Jewish but her mom is not.. so it explains a lot of complicated relations succinctly

Those are the fascinating layers of his music that somehow capture our thoughts (and carry them away)...does anyone really know the meaning or inspiration for "love me like a rock"...I do but I'm testing the faithful here.

I always took loves me like a rock lyrically at face value, so I am very curious now-

right now I imagine all of you hitting Wikipedia

lol! No wikki for S&G or Paul Simon for me, I have my pride!

So I think Anthony Jackson played bass on that song. Apparently, I remember how to play it. And this is from memory for me, too (which I why I've edited my Hearts and Bones lyric as I remember new old things).

And I'll just edit to add: oooo...now we're a hot topic.... :cool:

in the pocket per usual cygnuschick

all the days of my life. Thanks, TM http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-music017.gif

wait- i am confused- he was not the bass player on There Goes Rhymin' SImon? So what is the answer :fuckinputer:

Time time time

as I looked around

for my possibilities

i was so hard to please

Actually, Marcilene would totally fit! And you are the first person who admits they recognized my avatar!

Oh, yeah. My son and I watch religiously. For Christmas, he had to have the Adventure Time DVD that came with the Finn Hat.

• Like 1

Time time time

as I looked around

for my possibilities

i was so hard to please

Oh, yeah. My son and I watch religiously. For Christmas, he had to have the Adventure Time DVD that came with the Finn Hat.

thumbs up- It is seriously one of the best cartoons ever!

In terms of S&G stuff, I love a LOT of songs (not to mention all of Sounds of Silence, Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Bookends :wub: :wub: :wub: ), but these are probably my two favorite songs by them - not choices most people would probably make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNi6F4usCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-IY1g2LARs

Have to say that is a very unusual pair of song to choose as favorites!

The first one says a LOT about the times they were in (and still even applies today). The second one is just ridiculously catchy and clever.

Well, the first one the boy commits suicide. But then again as I think about it now I guess the boy in 2112 does too and I never held it against that song.

The second one, well, S&G had a few songs about being a criminal and frankly S&G were not very convincing at being part of the hood or what ever :P

see, i NEVER interpreted the first song being about suicide. he jumps, but then "he flew away" followed by the "oh my grace, I got no hiding place" repeated a few times. i always thought it was as if he was going to jump, but then something magical and unexplained happened. to me the song is about youth and trying a new way of doing things versus an old entrenched view and resisting change. him flying away i interpret as those unwilling to move forward having a very hard time when they realize the old way of doing things isn't working, that something they can't understand is going on, and that the times truly are changing.

for the second song, i don't look at as them singing autobiographically or giving the appearance even of it being some part of their psyche, as obviously they're way too harmless to be that person. i look at as more of a short story, as them telling a character's story that they created from the character's perspective. in that respect, it's believable and clever.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 3

In terms of S&G stuff, I love a LOT of songs (not to mention all of Sounds of Silence, Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Bookends :wub: :wub: :wub: ), but these are probably my two favorite songs by them - not choices most people would probably make:

The first one says a LOT about the times they were in (and still even applies today). The second one is just ridiculously catchy and clever.

Well, the first one the boy commits suicide. But then again as I think about it now I guess the boy in 2112 does too and I never held it against that song.

The second one, well, S&G had a few songs about being a criminal and frankly S&G were not very convincing at being part of the hood or what ever :P

see, i NEVER interpreted the first song being about suicide. he jumps, but then "he flew away" followed by the "oh my grace, I got no hiding place" repeated a few times. i always thought it was as if he was going to jump, but then something magical and unexplained happened. to me the song is about youth and trying a new way of doing things versus an old entrenched view and resisting change. him flying away i interpret as those unwilling to move forward having a very hard time when they realize the old way of doing things isn't working, that something they can't understand is going on, and that the times truly are changing.

for the second song, i don't look at as them singing autobiographically or giving the appearance even of it being some part of their psyche, as obviously they're way too harmless to be that person. i look at as more of a short story, as them telling a character's story that they created from the character's perspective. in that respect, it's believable and clever.

Your interpretation is much more pleasant then mine. So don't read mine, but I am writing it anyways! To me "Save the Life of my child" depicts a macabre and dark scene, of a boy who has climbed up on the ledge of a building and is threatening to jump. A crowd of people gathers around at the base of the building and a 'freaky carnival atmosphere" develops with people excitedly taliking about what is going on instead of helping him. And he jumps at the end...

I do like "Somewhere they Cant Find Me" it is a re-write, of "Wed. Morning 3 AM", which also tells and almost identical story of a boy needing to run away after committing a crime (robbing a hard liquor store).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KXUr9JVng

Edited by Animate
  • Like 1

Your interpretation is much more pleasant then mine. So don't read mine, but I am writing it anyways! To me "Save the Life of my child" depicts a macabre and dark scene, of a boy who has climbed up on the ledge of a building and is threatening to jump. A crowd of people gathers around at the base of the building and a 'freaky carnival atmosphere" develops with people excitedly taliking about what is going on instead of helping him. And he jumps at the end...

You're taking the song far too literally IMHO. The key to the song being metaphorical is the line "what's becoming of the children, people asking each other." When the song came out in early 1968, lots of kids were running away, either to San Francisco or elsewhere to get away from the more rigid way of thinking 50's mentality of the older generation towards a life with more freedom and experimentation - there were drugs, the sexual revolution, the anti-war movement, civil rights riots, etc. The older generation was very concerned about what was going on with young people in the country. "Save the life of my child" was about far more than a fictional depiction of some random kid committing suicide.

If you want to hear something REALLLLLY cool, listen carefully to the song from 1:18 to 1:26 and you'll hear something that for some reason most people usually miss. I listened to the song many, many times before I discovered it, but once I heard it, I hear it every time now. I don't know why people don't hear it as it isn't even disguised very well, but somehow the way it's mixed makes it initially elusive. It's only one of the elements that make the song so cool. Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=diNi6F4usCM

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 3

Time time time

as I looked around

for my possibilities

i was so hard to please

There's a sincerity to his poetry that really gets down in your bones. Simple truths that can really help you reach a "eureka" moment in life. Paul Simon's music just radiates that honesty
  • Like 3

Paul Simon - "Train in the Distance" (From "Hearts and Bones")

A beautiful song!

Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance

Everybody thinks it's true

You know this song reminds me of a friend who was a vagabond...homeless and loved it. He would travel the country staying at different shelters during certain times of the year. During the winter, he would migrate to TN and SC, then to Florida. During the summers he hopped trains to make it to Montana, where he lived out of a make shift shelter next to a lake. He would fish and hunt for food, even plant a small garden. Well, one thing that sticks in my head from our friendship was his departures. I asked him how he knew which trains to board to get to his destination. He said "I can tell where the trains a-goin by the sound of the horn"...reminded me of this song—thanks for that
  • Like 4

I adore Paul Simon. His talent is profound and I think he is one of the great American songwriters. I literally played Graceland non-stop for 6 months when it came out. I could not get over the sounds! Then, I discovered his catalog and became an enormous fan.

Here's my contribution. And some finger style playing, too. This song still makes me cry.

Here's a qoute from his former love Carrie Fisher:

ex-wife Carrie Fisher says in her autobiography Wishful Drinking that the song "She Moves On" is about her. It's one of several she claims, followed by the line, "If you can get Paul Simon to write a song about you, do it. Because he is so brilliant at it." [20]

Thanks Carrie...too bad you blew with Paul. He's seems like a blast at parties and other social functions

• Like 3

Here's a qoute from his former love Carrie Fisher:

ex-wife Carrie Fisher says in her autobiography Wishful Drinking that the song "She Moves On" is about her. It's one of several she claims, followed by the line, "If you can get Paul Simon to write a song about you, do it. Because he is so brilliant at it." [20]

Thanks Carrie...too bad you blew with Paul. He's seems like a blast at parties and other social functions

yep- you sure don't hear any complaints from Edie about Paul!

• Like 2

I ended up pulling out liner notes because the question drove me nuts. David Hood played bass on There Goes Rhymin' Simon on Loves Me Like A Rock :doh: . Anthony Jackson did Slip Sliding Away and Hearts and Bones, and Tony Levin did Late in The Evening. Whew, I'm glad I got that settled.

Paul's band has always been one of the best around.

Here's my entry today. (A great Robben Ford cover of this song was pointed out to me by a fellow TRFer, btw) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_wetJO7SkMs

• Like 2

I ended up pulling out liner notes because the question drove me nuts. David Hood played bass on There Goes Rhymin' Simon on Loves Me Like A Rock :doh: . Anthony Jackson did Slip Sliding Away and Hearts and Bones, and Tony Levin did Late in The Evening. Whew, I'm glad I got that settled.

Paul's band has always been one of the best around.

Here's my entry today. (A great Robben Ford cover of this song was pointed out to me by a fellow TRFer, btw) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_wetJO7SkMs

Thanks! Hadn't heard this is a looong time!

Just the tile has so much truth in it- One Man's Ceilling is Another Man's Floor

• Like 2

Love this:

Some folk's lives roll easy as a breeze

Drifting through a summer night

Heading for a sunny day

But most folk's lives, oh they stumble

Lord they fall

Through no fault of their own

Most folks never catch their stars

And here I am Lord

I'm knocking at your place of business

I know I ain't got no business here

But you said if I ever got so low

I was busted

You could be trusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbagtXi4HBs

• Like 2

Love this:

Some folk's lives roll easy as a breeze

Drifting through a summer night

Heading for a sunny day

But most folk's lives, oh they stumble

Lord they fall

Through no fault of their own

Most folks never catch their stars

And here I am Lord

I'm knocking at your place of business

I know I ain't got no business here

But you said if I ever got so low

I was busted

You could be trusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbagtXi4HBs

Thanks for such a great song...I can tell that you really respond to this level of soul searching and truth...isn't it funny how Paul Simon does that to people?
  • Like 3

Here's one on my mind for today...it's a reminder to tell those close to you that you love them and leave nothing unsaid (at least that's what the song does for me) —TM

Paul Simon Slip Slidin' Away Lyrics

Translation in progress. Please wait...

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/i/loader.gif

Songwriters: SIMON, PAUL

Words & music by paul simon

Slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away

You know the nearer your destination

The more you're slip slidin' away

I know a man

He came from my home town

He wore his passion for his woman