The Paul Simon Thread—What's your favorite?

Tombstone Mountain

CG, the opening lyrics to your first osted song immediately came to me:

One and one-half wandering Jews

Free to wander wherever they choose

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

The Blood of Christ Mountains

Of New Mexico

On the last leg of the journey

They started a long time ago

Beautiful!

Yeah, I noticed that! :LOL: one and one-half wandering jews? :unsure: I guess it loses something in the translation :unsure:

:rfl:

It is cause Paul had married and devorced Carrie Fisher (Princess Leigh!) whose dad is Jewish but her mom is not.. so it explains a lot of complicated relations succinctly

• Like 2

She said.. why don't you love me for who I am, where I am....

I had tickets to see S&G in Houston, August 1983. The concert was cancelled, because of hurricane Alicia, then the news came out that Paul also took this as a break to run off to get married to Carrie Fisher.

:gasp:

I think it is the most beautiful line he has ever written. It makes me tear up every time. And the response:

'Cause that's not the way the world is, babe

*This* is how I love you, babe

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

Yeah, I noticed that! :LOL: one and one-half wandering jews? :unsure: I guess it loses something in the translation :unsure:

It is cause Paul had married and devorced Carrie Fisher (Princess Leigh!) whose dad is Jewish but her mom is not.. so it explains a lot of complicated relations succinctly

Those are the fascinating layers of his music that somehow capture our thoughts (and carry them away)...does anyone really know the meaning or inspiration for "love me like a rock"...I do but I'm testing the faithful here.
  • Like 2

In terms of S&G stuff, I love a LOT of songs (not to mention all of Sounds of Silence, Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Bookends :wub: :wub: :wub: ), but these are probably my two favorite songs by them - not choices most people would probably make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNi6F4usCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-IY1g2LARs

Have to say that is a very unusual pair of song to choose as favorites!

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

Those are the fascinating layers of his music that somehow capture our thoughts (and carry them away)...does anyone really know the meaning or inspiration for "love me like a rock"...I do but I'm testing the faithful here.

I could only suppose that it was Paul's exposure to gospel music on a trip to Memphis. He is very much a fan of gospel music. I think he was moved by the strength of the music.

JMO.

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

I could only suppose that it was Paul's exposure to gospel music on a trip to Memphis. He is very much a fan of gospel music. I think he was moved by the strength of the music.

JMO.

interesting guess but wrong
  • Like 1

In terms of S&G stuff, I love a LOT of songs (not to mention all of Sounds of Silence, Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Bookends :wub: :wub: :wub: ), but these are probably my two favorite songs by them - not choices most people would probably make:

The first one says a LOT about the times they were in (and still even applies today). The second one is just ridiculously catchy and clever.

• Like 1

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

I always took loves me like a rock lyrically at face value, so I am very curious now-

The first one says a LOT about the times they were in (and still even applies today). The second one is just ridiculously catchy and clever.

I agree. They were so ahead of their time. Very groundbreaking.

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

JMO.

interesting guess but wrong

wrong? So what is the correct answer?

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

I always took loves me like a rock lyrically at face value, so I am very curious now-

right now I imagine all of you hitting Wikipedia
  • Like 3

Well, the first one the boy commits suicide. But then again as I think about it now I guess the boy in 2112 does too and I never held it against that song.

The second one, well, S&G had a few songs about being a criminal and frankly S&G were not very convincing at being part of the hood or what ever :P

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

No, I figured I'd let you do the leg work. ;)

• Like 1

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

lol! No wikki for S&G or Paul Simon for me, I have my pride!

• Like 1

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

No, I figured I'd let you do the leg work. ;)

:D you win that!

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

So I think Anthony Jackson played bass on that song. Apparently, I remember how to play it. And this is from memory for me, too (which I why I've edited my Hearts and Bones lyric as I remember new old things).

And I'll just edit to add: oooo...now we're a hot topic.... :cool:

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 2

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

So I think Anthony Jackson played bass on that song. Apparently, I remember how to play it. And this is from memory for me, too (which I why I've edited my Hearts and Bones lyric as I remember new old things).

in the pocket per usual cygnuschick
  • Like 3

Are travelling together

In the Sangre de Cristo

Of New Mexico

Beautiful!

in the pocket per usual cygnuschick

all the days of my life. Thanks, TM http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-music017.gif

• Like 2

April come she will

When streams are ripe and swelled with rain;

May, she will stay,

Resting in my arms again.

June, she'll change her tune,

In restless walks she'll prowl the night;

July, she will fly

And give no warning to her flight.

August, die she must,

The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;

September I'll remember