Windows 7 start up problem

Pags

Windows 7 Enterprise.. without warning my system just restarted, but windows failed to open. It seems to be a common issue for Windows 7 users. I'm in Safe Mode right now and trying to figure out how to fix this. It's a work issue laptop, so system restore is not activated and I have no software CD to use.

Two questions... First: can I create a system recovery disk from my Windows even though there is an issue with it? I want to use the recovery disk to do a fix, but will I be creating a flawed disk?

Second: Can I create s system recover disk from another computer's Windows 7 Home Premium version and use it to fix Windows 7 Enterprise?

Thanks! :cheers:

"First: can I create a system recovery disk from my Windows even though there is an issue with it? I want to use the recovery disk to do a fix, but will I be creating a flawed disk?"

Creating a recovery disk will make one with the system exactly as is. You would have to go back to a restore point and make the back up from there.

"Second: Can I create s system recover disk from another computer's Windows 7 Home Premium version and use it to fix Windows 7 Enterprise?"

Yes, but the drivers for your computer's hardware may not be installed, so be prepared to have them on hand (if you don't have them just google each piece of hardware and you'll find downloads you can put onto a USB).

Are you sure you don't have a backup? Every computer I know of that doesn't come with a hard copy of W7 has a hidden partition with the out of the box system backed up onto it.

• Like 1

~Thanks USB! :cheers:

"Second: Can I create s system recover disk from another computer's Windows 7 Home Premium version and use it to fix Windows 7 Enterprise?"

Yes, but the drivers for your computer's hardware may not be installed, so be prepared to have them on hand (if you don't have them just google each piece of hardware and you'll find downloads you can put onto a USB).

If my computer's hardware seems fine, would that still work without those drives on hand? It only seems to be a windows issue when booting in full mode.

Are you sure you don't have a backup? Every computer I know of that doesn't come with a hard copy of W7 has a hidden partition with the out of the box system backed up onto it.

How/where would I find this partition and how do I use it to restore windows?

Work issue laptop? Do you have a corporate help desk?

If it is a work computer, I'd contact corporate support and let them guide you before I'd start messing around with system restore.

Work issue laptop? Do you have a corporate help desk?

If it is a work computer, I'd contact corporate support and let them guide you before I'd start messing around with system restore.

Thanks! Yes, there is a 24/7 help desk line. I usually try and figure out what I can for myself before I call India though. In my experience with them, I tend to better on my own before dealing with them.

~Thanks USB! :cheers:

If my computer's hardware seems fine, would that still work without those drives on hand? It only seems to be a windows issue when booting in full mode.

How/where would I find this partition and how do I use it to restore windows?

1) If you reinstall windows and everything works fine then you may not have to, but it's always best to be safe since Windows isn't preloaded with all the drivers. In some instances Windows might actually do it for you but it's rare.

2) If you go to restore windows the system will ask where you want to restore it from. There should be a new partition you've never seen before. If there isn't, you can abort since nothing happened yet.

Edited by USB Connector

You can repair windows without the disc!

1) reboot, and press F8 key repeatedly

2) choose "repair your computer"

3) select "startup repair" from the recovery options list

If that doesn't work, try this:

1) Repeat steps 1 & 2 above

2) choose Command Prompt from the list

3) type the following - hit enter after each line

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

Notice the space after bootrec /

Edited by launchpad67a
  • Like 1

Ironically, it wound up being a company wide McAfee encryption update that blew up critical windows files. They had to re-image my hard drive. Unreal. The so-called virus protection program wound up being the worst virus I've ever had on a computer. haha