Saturday afternoon chili

Janie

Holy Christ, Janie, do NOT let that dog sleep in your bedroom tonight... never mind up on the bed! You're liable to have a dream that you fell asleep in an outhouse...

Let's just say that the next day or so are going to be interesting to say the least...hope doggie can pass it all without getting sick!!

Though, seriously, hope the dog will be okay. I was going to suggest giving the poor thing a :hug2: , but *squeeze* *parp!* :blush: ...

Beano does not work on dogs, btw. I tried it with my cocker spaniel whose reactions to eating certain foods came in the form of WWI-esque deadly clouds of gas. An expensive and failed experiment.

:fury: stuff! :D

:drool:

babycat...have you ever tried Chili? Was wondering if Brits even eat it.

The Brits may not be known for their chili, but they ARE known for the world's best fish 'n chips! And, I have made a promise to myself that some day, some how, I WILL get my ass over there and try it out!

Maybe BabyCat can point me in the right direction for the real deal!! I believe they call a fish 'n chip shop a "chippy." Am I right? No? Yes?

:yes: !

How's your dog, Janie?

She's fine! Thanks for asking. The chili treated her well.

The red crayon however...

(The kid has asked again for chili!? I'm chili'd out!)

Glad the dog's ok, I could see a red crayon causing some issues. Yikes!

I had to make the kid a big pot of chili again. He woke up this morning asking for chili. This is incredible. So, this time I wrote down some measurements.

BETTER THAN CRACK, CHILI

2 lbs beef

2 Tbl butter

1/2 cup finely diced onion

4 garlic cloves, minced

15 oz tomato sauce (the plain stuff - no spaghetti sauce)

2 Tbl chili powder

1 (heaping) tsp ground cumin

1 (heaping) tsp dried oregano

15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained

Brown the beef over medium heat in a large, heavy pot. Drain the fat and then add 2 Tbl butter to browned beef. Add onions and garlic. Heat through until onions are nice and soft (about 10 minutes). Add tomato sauce and spices. Cover, turn heat to low and let simmer for at least one hour. After one hour, turn heat off and add beans. Cover the pot and let sit for a few minutes (long enough to heat beans through).

The chili should be extremely thick and not soupy at all. NOT! AT! ALL! This is thick, stick-to-your-ribs chili.

Add favorite toppings. I'm a fan of grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, diced onion, cubed avocado, sour cream and Doritos plain corn tortilla chips.

• Like 1