eBay: bought something that was poorly described, recommendations?

USB Connector

I bought a Nintendo Wii on eBay for relatively cheap. The pictures were a tad fuzzy so it was hard to discern any surface scratches. The seller had a perfect reputation with about 30 trades so he seemed to be credible. I asked him what kind of condition it's in and he said "great condition". Being in a Rush to get it shipped over for incoming relatives from out of town so we can play smash bros it was good enough and I hit buy it now.

Got the machine a few days ago. There was no packaging (the Wii box was just wrapped in brown paper and shipped) but I don't care much for the box. It looks like the thing was slide across the floor, flipped on its side and slid across the floor again resulting in quite a good lot of scratches on both sides of the console and the stand. To top it off the console and wiring were sticky with who knows what substance. I sterilized the console, wiring, controller and everything they came into contact with.

I can live with the scratches, but I like to keep everything I own in pristine condition and this thing is definitely not in "great" condition. Good? Yes, but not great. I think the fact that he shipped a Wii that had a consistent 1mm coating of stick to me would disqualify it from being in great condition. Should I go after a partial refund for poorly described product? I've done many transactions on eBay with sellers of 10 and 10,000 trades but not once have I had any problems.

Have you tried contacting the seller and seeing what they say? Sometimes they are very cool and will give you a partial refund - I have 2 or 3 do that. They will often do that rather than have a negative review. If they do not want to, tell them you will be forced to give a negative review and see if that helps.

You can open a dispute case through Ebay with the reason being that the item was not received in the condition described.

Your purchase is protected that way.

I agree with Lost in Xanadu, that you should contact the seller first to see if you can work things out between the two of you first.

Thanks for the tips. I'll test the thing to make sure it reads discs over the next few days (I need to get a game) and contact the seller. I guess if nothing becomes of it just leave negative feedback?

That's happened to me, too. Except with a Rickenbacker 4001 that arrived with a broken neck. :scared:

Seller fought with me over the $1400 refund, and had to go through PayPal in order to get my money back.

Pissin me off!

http://quantumsheep.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/unforgivable.jpg

Update: got a reply apologizing that the seller didn't really look at his sons Wii before selling it (I don't believe it because how can you miss the stickiness?). Anyways sure enough I also got an email from paypal for a $25 refund at the same time. I was going to ask for $20 (cost of shipping) but 25 is good too.

Update: got a reply apologizing that the seller didn't really look at his sons Wii before selling it (I don't believe it because how can you miss the stickiness?). Anyways sure enough I also got an email from paypal for a $25 refund at the same time. I was going to ask for $20 (cost of shipping) but 25 is good too.

His son's Wii was sticky? Does Vivid make video games now??

I have no idea, but I made sure to sterilize the thing and everything it made contact with in my house.

I have no idea, but I made sure to sterilize the thing and everything it made contact with in my house.

Sounds pretty nasty. Suspicious, too. Maybe the kid left it sitting in a puddle of spilled Mountain Dew?

Sounds pretty nasty. Suspicious, too. Maybe the kid left it sitting in a puddle of spilled Mountain Dew?

Possibly, but everything works just fine so I'm not complaining.

just say it has a little character with all those scratches ..

I've refunded a little bit of money when a seller complained, only because I didn't want to deal with it, the item was fine and they were going to complain to ebay ,because of a little dust... not a sticky mountain dew mess.... lol..

oh well.. got good feedback from the buyer anyway...

Possibly, but everything works just fine so I'm not complaining.

Great to hear that you got a refund from Paypal in regard to this doufus seller!!! He didn't look at it when selling??? I don't believe that for a second....just a lazy ass!!!! I've bought plenty of collective stuff from Ebay and most sellers care whether or not you are satisfied. They hate negative ratings.