How would you prefer A/B sets: Standards or rarities?

zappafrank

I think that when the band does A/B sets, standards should be alternated, so that everyone has a chance to hear stuff that they might not play again.

For example, on this tour, I think that Limelight and Freewill would have been perfect alternates for one another, instead of the rarities of The Body Electric and Middletown Dreams. My stop got TBE, but I *love* MD, and didn't get a chance to see it b/c I couldn't make the next closest show that got it. This way they could keep both TBE and MD.

Also, Manhattan Project/Dreamline seems like a bum deal for the people who got Dreamline. That song is much more of a standard that MP. I say keep MP in all sets, and alternate Dreamline with maybe Roll the Bones or Distant Early Warning.

For something rockin', they could have alternated Far Cry with One Little Victory.

This way they get to change things up, but the fans don't lose out on the rarities.

Edited by zappafrank

See, this I can agree with. Best Idea ever. Glad i'm not getting Dreamline.

Oh, also Bravado/The Pass, I think Bravado is also overplayed, and really isn't very good of a song compared to The Pass. It's also played much more than TP's 3 tours.

All I want is a good balance of the hits, new stuff and rarities. Rush has been pretty good with this on most of their tours, that's why I didn't fly off the handle like some people when they did a one off change by replacing TBE with LL at my show. I still got a great set even with the minor song switch. I guess I just don't take what they dedice to play as a personal shot against me like some seem to do if they play a song they don't care for or play a song too much. I don't care either way about Halo Effect but they are still playing it at every show this tour. I understand because of the string ensemble it's a song that makes sense to play. There's nothing I can do about them playing it, complaining about that isn't gonna change a thing. I just accept that they're doing that song and move on. Maybe more fans should start doing that. Edited by J2112YYZ

I like your logic here, they should of consulted you first when they put this tour together. Lol

Good stuff..

I was going to post a topic but I think I'll just add it to this one.

" I guess a Rush rarities tour is out of the Question"

With the way C.A. alternate set list divided the Rush faithful and tepid response to the change.

Right around the time of R30 (or shortly after) there was talk on TRF about Rush playing just the deep cuts and dusting off rare gems not played in years.

I think Alex even mentioned he would like to have a tour like that, as it stands now that wouldn't be possible playing large arenas. Down The Tubes tour part II.

Totally agree. Going tonight and having the middletown dreams set far outweighs the dreamline instead of Manhattan Proj. MD being my fav rush tune and cant believe they are playing it this tour. Now I jinxed myself and will get Limelight tonight.

Are Geddy, Alex and Neil on stage? Yes?

Ok.. they can play 3 hours of just about anything they want and I'll be happy.

Instead of bitching about setlists why don't you celebrate the moment and enjoy this ride while it lasts.

There wont be very many more tours.

Fantastic idea, zappafrank! I am really hoping that the schedule stays the same and that Seattle gets set B in a couple of weeks so I can hear Middletown but if your idea was in effect I wouldn't have to worry. I would have been pissed had I been in Buffalo.

Give me a B sides tour any time. If I want to see 2112\Temples or Limelight for the bazillionth time, I will put in one of many DVD's that have these songs on them. Hearing a good chunk of Power Windows on this tour was the best surprise I could have asked for.

Give me a B sides tour any time. If I want to see 2112\Temples or Limelight for the bazillionth time, I will put in one of many DVD's that have these songs on them. Hearing a good chunk of Power Windows on this tour was the best surprise I could have asked for.

RIGHT ON!!! AND HELL YES!!!

Hearing a good chunk of Power Windows on this tour was the best surprise I could have asked for.

You know what? This is completely true for me as well, and for good reason. I turned 40 this year, and my first show was 26 years ago in Baltimore at age 14, on the Power Windows tour. Don't wanna jinx myself, but something's been telling me for quite a while that last night in Atlanta was very likely the last show I'll ever get...

Are Geddy, Alex and Neil on stage? Yes?

Ok.. they can play 3 hours of just about anything they want and I'll be happy.

Instead of bitching about setlists why don't you celebrate the moment and enjoy this ride while it lasts.

There wont be very many more tours.

Exactly! They are in fantastic form this tour, just take it all in and enjoy it...there's no guarantee there will be another tour or two. We will almost certainly get a second leg of the CA tour next year, at that point Rush will have toured 4 consecutive years, they'll want (and have earned) a break. We cant assume they'll want to tour again after a year or two off when by then they'll be in their early-mid 60's.