Neil's Drum Sound...

Thunder Bay Rush

For what it's worth, while his current kit sounds pretty good, I can't say I love how his toms sound (or the heads he's using on them). From the few DW kits I've played, the bass drums generally sound great, but the toms not so much, particularly the smaller toms.

I know most everyone prefers closed toms to concert toms these days, but I always loved concert toms. The attack Neil used to get from those when he really leaned into them was awesome. Maybe he should break those out on the next tour, and bring another bass drum too (I'm kidding).

QUOTE (Stagehouse @ Sep 26 2012, 11:00 PM)
For what it's worth, while his current kit sounds pretty good, I can't say I love how his toms sound (or the heads he's using on them). From the few DW kits I've played, the bass drums generally sound great, but the toms not so much, particularly the smaller toms.

I know most everyone prefers closed toms to concert toms these days, but I always loved concert toms. The attack Neil used to get from those when he really leaned into them was awesome. Maybe he should break those out on the next tour, and bring another bass drum too (I'm kidding).

If you want a real "tubey", resonant sound, then DW are great. I always liked the more deadened, "cardboardy" sound of Neil's earlier kits myself, especially circa Caress of Steel.