Neil on the cover of Drum! Magazine (Oct 2012)

Jag2112

Neil appears on the cover of the October 2012 issue of Drum! Magazine which also includes a great in-depth interview about the making of Clockwork Angels from the drumming perspective.

The article is now online and can be viewed HERE.

Enjoy-

Thanks for posting/sharing. Great article...and we get a definitive answer to the question of the "clicking drum sticks" during the title track, which was discussed back in June.

"In particular, "Clockwork Angels" is a song Alex Lifeson brought in as a demo with much of the sections already in place. As soon as Peart heard it, he knew, "I want to play to that, because it's something we had rarely done." Still, even with Peart's exceptional ability to play complicated parts, the time shifts in "Clockwork Angels" proved challenging. For this reason, in one transition from four to six, Peart can be heard clicking his sticks on beats 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Peart initially expected the stick clicks would be edited out of the final recording, but they remain because they sound good. Still, even with the song's rhythmic shifts, Peart's approach is more about phrasing and "inflection" than counting subdivisions. "I'm thinking lilt, honestly - I'm not conscious of the six and four difference." "

Edited by The Mighty Dudad

Cool reading the part about Lorne Wheaton too. The "behind the scenes" guys do a lot for the "in front of the scenes" guys!

"Clearly, this is man who practices to perform and who feels a dedication and obligation to Rush's fans. All of us who as fans reap the benefit of that effort. As the master himself puts it, "The privilege I have "is to do this for a living, and I have to do all those things to maximize that and to feel good about the way I handle that privilege - it's a responsibility in a way. And that's not only true of performance but in terms of the values we bring to everything we do in the songwriting and the arranging and the album covers. You know, every aspect of what we do - the live performance is a huge part of that. It's sustained us all these years and into these difficult times - that reputation that was built show by show.""

THIS is why I will NEVER feel the need to have Neil (or any of them for that matter) give me a long, drawn out wave and bowing session after a concert. They've done their part...and then some!