Alex on keyboards this tour

Snow-Dog2112

QUOTE (Snow-Dog2112 @ Sep 10 2012, 07:34 AM)
sorry if this has been posted before but i was looking at pictures from the tour and saw Alex was playing keyboards on a song, which song is it?

Confirmed. Played them on one song. Not telling which. Did quite a bit more back up vocal this time too.

Saw them at Bristow last night. Head still ringing, heart still singing.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Sep 10 2012, 11:28 AM)
I don't like it when Alex plays keyboards...never have. Geddy should play keyboards even if Lerxst wrote the part.

It kinda seems like a gimmick to me.

The only reason reason Alex ever does that is specifically because Geddy is playing bass at those times and Alex is not playing guitar like in Superconductor and Time Stand Still. That's not a gimmick, it's a necessity if you actually want the part played.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 10 2012, 12:41 PM)
I don't like it when Alex plays keyboards...never have. Geddy should play keyboards even if Lerxst wrote the part.

The only reason reason Alex ever does that is specifically because Geddy is playing bass at those times and Alex is not playing guitar like in Superconductor and Time Stand Still. That's not a gimmick, it's a necessity if you actually want the part played.

There is a piano part in the song that's clearly sampled, though.

If you watch the youtube videos from the show in Manchester, when the piano first comes in, Alex is still in front of his mic and guitar pedals. Then he walks over to the piano to play his part.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Sep 10 2012, 04:14 PM)

If you watch the youtube videos from the show in Manchester, when the piano first comes in, Alex is still in front of his mic and guitar pedals. Then he walks over to the piano to play his part.

I responded to this earlier but TRF wouldn't come up when I went to post it....So take 2

On the HYF tour during Time Stand Still Alex played the keyboard part with his face...But he didn't actually play it, he just sort of smeared his face across the key and it sounded just like the record, so the keyboard probably triggered something. So he doesn't need to play it to get it to sound like the record. It can be triggered which is how I think it should be.

And even if it is necessary for him to play the keyboard...I still don't like it.

That's inaccurate.

I was there in Manchester. The piano didn start until he started playing it. And if you listen, you can hear him screw up.

QUOTE (Joesaracer @ Sep 10 2012, 06:35 PM)

That's inaccurate.

I was there in Manchester. The piano didn start until he started playing it. And if you listen, you can hear him screw up.

Take a listen and a look. At about 3:28 you can year piano, but Alex is still over at his mic. About 10 seconds pass before he starts playing the resto fo the part.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Sep 11 2012, 07:39 AM)
Yeah, he plays the "lead melody" on the piano and the sort of "backing melody" is sampled. I don't know if it's 2 tracks on the album or if he's just not good enough to play it all smile.gif

I think he just doesn't have time to switch from playing guitar to playing the backing melody.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Sep 11 2012, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (Joesaracer @ Sep 10 2012, 06:35 PM)

That's inaccurate.

Take a listen and a look. At about 3:28 you can year piano, but Alex is still over at his mic. About 10 seconds pass before he starts playing the resto fo the part.

true, his new hair piece started slipping off, hence the screw up rofl3.gif