Neil's Drum Solo for CA Tour

Thunder Bay Rush

I'm wondering if Neil will go back to the sampled big band section in the end part of his solo this time around. I think it's a great solo, easily one of the best, but he has been doing that big band piece (although a little differently each tour) for quite a while now.

I'm sure most people on this forum are aware that Neil triggers everything himself... he's not playing along to recorded music, in other words. Nor, does Gump, his drum tech have anything to do with the live performance. That just shows us how much skill he really has, as anyone could play along to something... my gawd, even me. You'd think the man has an extra pair of feet for Chist sake!

But, I wonder if he'll have any new tricks up sleeve for the CA tour? I think it would be a nice change if he did something altogether different, even if it meant doing away with the big band section.

Yes? No?

The Big Band section is "his" solo enjoyment, and his tribute to Buddy Rich who was an influence. Whether the crowd digs it or not, it's what gives him something to play with every night. If he keeps it or not, it's because it's something he truly enjoys.

That said, I like it, and I wouldn't be totally surprised if he does a different song. He's done One O'Clock jump for a few tours, and and now has done Love For Sale on two...maybe he'll jump into something different

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 4 2012, 08:02 AM)
I'm wondering if Neil will go back to the sampled big band section in the end part of his solo this time around. I think it's a great solo, easily one of the best, but he has been doing that big band piece (although a little differently each tour) for quite a while now.

I'm sure most people on this forum are aware that Neil triggers everything himself... he's not playing along to recorded music, in other words. Nor, does Gump, his drum tech have anything to do with the live performance. That just shows us how much skill he really has, as anyone could play along to something... my gawd, even me. You'd think the man has an extra pair of feet for Chist sake!

But, I wonder if he'll have any new tricks up sleeve for the CA tour? I think it would be a nice change if he did something altogether different, even if it meant doing away with the big band section.

Yes? No?

The big band music IS prerecorded and Neil plays along on the drum to it.

Gump also plays a significant role in the solo. He changes the electric kit during the solo for different effects and pulls the lever to spin the riser twice.

I think he'll keep the Big Band section ofhis solo. He seems to enjoy it! However, that said, I think we're in to some interesting surprises this time around with the string section playin orchestral shots and Neil jamming along with sampled tympani and orchestral percussions sounds.

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (hermy @ Sep 4 2012, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 4 2012, 08:02 AM)
I'm wondering if Neil will go back to the sampled big band section in the end part of his solo this time around.  I think it's a great solo, easily one of the best, but he has been doing that big band piece (although a little differently each tour) for quite a while now.

I'm sure most people on this forum are aware that Neil triggers everything himself... he's not playing along to recorded music, in other words.  Nor, does Gump, his drum tech have anything to do with the live performance.  That just shows us how much skill he really has, as anyone could play along to something... my gawd, even me.  You'd think the man has an extra pair of feet for Chist sake!

But, I wonder if he'll have any new tricks up sleeve for the CA tour?  I think it would be a nice change if he did something altogether different, even if it meant doing away with the big band section. 

Yes?  No?

The big band music IS prerecorded and Neil plays along on the drum to it.

Gump also plays a significant role in the solo. He changes the electric kit during the solo for different effects and pulls the lever to spin the riser twice.

Anything different than the norm is good...I'm excited, and I get to see it in DAYS!!! trink39.gif

Hermy - yes, you are correct about Neil playing along to the big band swing section, as a piece of recorded music. I stand corrected! I was thinking about the horn shots during his solo BEFORE the swing parts. Duh on me!