I like the "Synth Period"

clintonb

Yeah, I play keyboards too (/me hugs the dusty old Taurus pedals and DX7 (mmm '80s) in his small collection), hence my liking for the synth period.

I loved Geddy's old synth rigs, from the 1979-ish setup with the monstrous Oberheim 8-voice through the big '80s rig where he was surrounded by stuff. His current setup seems so dinky. wink.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jul 27 2012, 05:44 AM)
I love the synth era too - Rush's most underrated work for sure. Though I seem to be in the minority in saying that I'd take PoW and HYF over Signals and GUP any day. The song writing and use of synths is far more effective on the later 2 of the synth albums imo.

goodpost.gif

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 28 2012, 09:40 PM)
While I like the 70's better, the 80's had some great stuff. Wish they come up with songs half as good nowadays.....

I'd have to say that's just an opinion of yours personally. I think the material they have put out on the past 2 albums is great in its own right.

IMO the Synth period had some of the groups best lyrics. Love the entire period but esp. Power Windows and HYF, both of which I prefer of Signals and Grace Under Pressure (not that I am knocking those 2 fine albums, they are good but the 1st 2 I mentioned are just better).

The synth sound does not bother me at all. Oh, by the way I feel that Presto (another tremendous album) almost falls into this period as well. It may not have there heavy synth sound but the lyrics feel like the Signals - HYF lyrics (to me anyway).

Definitely like this period.