Tech Question About The Anarchist

Principled Man

In The Anarchist, there is a short sequence of long, higher-pitched notes played at certain times during the song. It occurs during Geddy's singing of A missing part of me that goes around me like a cage.... The first is at 2:46, then at 4:41, then at 6:04.

Are they using a synth, or synth pedals, or even strings to make those tones? Just curious....because I think they really compliment the song. They add more emphasis to the chorus' lyrics....

IMO, it's the definitive moment of the entire album. We see the empty soul of the Anarchist exposed fully.... 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 24 2012, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 24 2012, 07:31 PM)
Synths and strings both. Reminds me of the sustained Moog sound of MP, PeW.....same effect.

Neither.

In a recent interview, Nick confirmed it. Maybe we're talking about 2 different things.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 24 2012, 07:38 PM)
Synths and strings both. Reminds me of the sustained Moog sound of MP, PeW.....same effect.

Neither.

In a recent interview, Nick confirmed it. Maybe we're talking about 2 different things.

Definitely. I can clearly hear backing harmony vocals there through my studio headphones.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 24 2012, 07:44 PM)

Neither.

Definitely. I can clearly hear backing harmony vocals there through my studio headphones.

I hear both....higher vocal harmonies and the morphed keyboard and strings...aka...moog effect

Nick mentions the synth and strings here

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/int...angels-548165/5

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 24 2012, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 24 2012, 07:44 PM)

Neither.

I hear both....higher vocal harmonies and the morphed keyboard and strings...aka...moog effect

Nick mentions the synth and strings here

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/int...angels-548165/5

He's not even talking specially about the parts that the OP is talking about. "The missing part of me..." part. There's no strings or synths there. Only backing vocals.

Synth/strings combo too which shifts in pitch after each measure and is ezactly what the OP is talking about. Synths are prominent, building to that part where it sustains the high pitch under the riffing after the chorus. Those time points that the OP pointed are starting points where the synths/strings are lower in pitch, then rise up. " The missing part....." is exactly where the synth begins. Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 24 2012, 08:00 PM)
Synth/strings combo too which shifts in pitch after each measure and is ezactly what the OP is talking about. Synths are prominent, building to that part where it sustains the high pitch under the riffing after the chorus. Those time points that the OP pointed are starting points where the synths/strings are lower in pitch, then rise up. " The missing part....." is axactly where the synth begins.

Oh, you're talking about behind the vocals? There's some very subtle synth stuff back there that isn't all that audible and kept in the background just as an accent. What's very easy to hear is the backing vocals which is what I thought he was asking about.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 24 2012, 08:08 PM)
Synth/strings combo too which shifts in pitch after each measure and is ezactly what the OP is talking about.  Synths are prominent, building to that part where it sustains the high pitch under the riffing after the chorus.  Those time points that the OP pointed are starting points where the synths/strings are lower in pitch, then rise up.  " The missing part....." is axactly where the synth begins.

Oh, you're talking about behind the vocals? There's some very subtle synth stuff back there that isn't all that audible and kept in the background just as an accent. What's very easy to hear is the backing vocals which is what I thought he was asking about.

The synth part is initially softer and lower in pitch then rises higher in pitch, much more out front than the vocal harmonies. At 6 22, it's the loudest.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 24 2012, 08:13 PM)
The op says "long, high pitch notes" which means sustained....the vocal harmonies are not sustained.

Those backing vocals are sustained throughout that entire line so Im not sure what you mean there. They mirror the main vocals, just a little higher.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 24 2012, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 24 2012, 08:13 PM)
The op says "long, high pitch notes" which means sustained....the vocal harmonies are not sustained.

Those backing vocals are sustained throughout that entire line so Im not sure what you mean there. They mirror the main vocals, just a little higher.

Those soft harmonized vocals are singing along with the main vocal, not a sustained oooh or aaah.

Yup, definitely strings and synths as Nick said. 100% certain.

What do you hear at 6 22 during the riffing? Def no vocals there.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 24 2012, 08:08 PM)
Synth/strings combo too which shifts in pitch after each measure and is ezactly what the OP is talking about.  Synths are prominent, building to that part where it sustains the high pitch under the riffing after the chorus.  Those time points that the OP pointed are starting points where the synths/strings are lower in pitch, then rise up.  " The missing part....." is axactly where the synth begins.

Yes, I'm talking about synth/strings being played along with Alex's guitar riff and Geddy's vocals, specifically when he's singing A missing part of me.....

At least three ascending notes....quite audible....

At 2:46, when Geddy sings A missing part of me the 2nd time

At 4:41, when Geddy sings A missing part of me the 2nd time

At 6:04, when Geddy sings A missing part of me three consecutive times to finish the vocals, and then continues to the end.