Lyrical interpretation

Gedneil Alpeart

Neil is revisiting the themes of RTB about the complete randomness of our existence (as opposed to religious theories/watchmaker concepts of predetermination/predestination). Edited by laughedatbytime

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 19 2012, 08:46 PM)
It's straight from Candide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide

if not rejecting optimism outright, advocating an enigmatic precept, "we must cultivate our garden", in lieu of the Leibnizian mantra of Pangloss, "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds".

Thank you.....this is helpful.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 19 2012, 08:31 PM)
Neil is revisiting the themes of RTB about the complete randomness of our existence (as opposed to religious theories/watchmaker concepts of predetermination/predestination).

Yesh, I got that vibe too...

"in this world of many possible worlds" is not the same.

a world of possible worlds almost reminds me of "wheels within wheels" or a world of worlds.... the meaning of the line gets lost. the whole point of the line is about ONE of the many possible worlds that you can end up with. the word "one" is one of the most important words in that line!

to me it's just referring to the outcome of the boy's life compared to the many possible outcomes had he made other choices in his life..

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 19 2012, 09:38 PM)

a world of possible worlds almost reminds me of "wheels within wheels" or a world of worlds.... the meaning of the line gets lost. the whole point of the line is about ONE of the many possible worlds that you can end up with. the word "one" is one of the most important words in that line!

to me it's just referring to the outcome of the boy's life compared to the many possible outcomes had he made other choices in his life..

"This world of many........" to me does not mean a world within many, but a world out of many.......

But I get your point about the importance of "one"....leaves no room for ambiguity

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 19 2012, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 19 2012, 09:38 PM)

"This world of many........" to me does not mean a world within many, but a world out of many.......

you're right.

I was just talking about the picture it paints in my head.. cool.gif