This really is their first concept album, no?

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 11:14 PM)
To me, when I think 'concept album', I think Operation: Mindcrime. I think The Wall. Those albums use EVERY song to tell ONE story. There is a flow.

Think of it this way, if you took every song on RTB or CP and mixed up their order, would it actually change the theme? Nope. It remains the same.

If you take CA and mix around all the songs in a different order, then it no longer tells a story...or at least, not one that makes sense.

That's the big difference between an album with themes, and a true concept album IMO.

While we may differ semantically in our use of "concept album," your rearrangement test is a perfect delineation of the difference between a story album and a thematic album. Well put.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 19 2012, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 03:32 PM)
Yes, it is.

Other albums had themes, but this is the first album that tells an actual story from start to finish using all of the songs.

No other Rush album does that.

I think people throw around concept album lightly.

Rush would disagree, in the multitude of interviews I have listened to with the boys regarding Clockwork Angel's they have all pretty much said that almost *all* of their albums have a concept and could be considered a concept album.

Concept doesn't necessarily mean that one persistent literal thread of lyrics has to tie the whole thing together.

trink39.gif

I understand that...but I still don't necessarily agree with their viewpoint.

To me, those are themes.

In RTB, the running theme was taking chances.

In PoW, the running theme was power.

In CP, the running theme was relationships.

In TFE, the running theme was communication.

...etc.

To me, when I think 'concept album', I think Operation: Mindcrime. I think The Wall. Those albums use EVERY song to tell ONE story. There is a flow.

Think of it this way, if you took every song on RTB or CP and mixed up their order, would it actually change the theme? Nope. It remains the same.

If you take CA and mix around all the songs in a different order, then it no longer tells a story...or at least, not one that makes sense.

That's the big difference between an album with themes, and a true concept album IMO.

Great post!