Is C.A. the best example of rush's songwriting

condemned2bfree

hi newbie here tongue.gif, back from the wilderness.

Its known that rush have an unorthodox songwriting collaboration method, whereby neil writes the lyrics and ged and alex write the music seperately.

Can only think a few songrwriters who initially write seperately (up to a point obviously) procol harum - keith and gary brooker and elton john and the other guy.Probably others that i dont know of.

C.A. in my ears, is a strong and amazing record, brimming with the combination of rush dynamics- virtuoso playing (you know its rush's sound) and very melodic songwriting. Past albums have an emphasis on some particular aspect, but for me not as balanced...and as strong as on c.a.

There's really not much flab on this record.

So considering the methods, is C.A. The best example of rush's particular songwriting approach, honed at this stage of their career - doesn't necessarily mean, is it their best record. Excluding sonic and any other particulars, that mar peoples view of the album, whats your take?

Hope your enjoying the record folks! 2.gif

c2bfree

Thing is, this album isn't always "very melodic." Large swaths of songs are very crunchy...think Vapor Trails. Not that that's a bad thing, I loved VT and I similarly love CA. Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Jun 16 2012, 12:48 PM)

Its known that rush have an unorthodox songwriting collaboration method, whereby neil writes the lyrics and ged and alex write the music seperately.

Can only think a few songrwriters who initially write seperately (up to a point obviously) procol harum - keith and gary brooker and elton john and the other guy.Probably others that i dont know of.

C.A. in my ears, is a strong and amazing record, brimming with the combination of rush dynamics- virtuoso playing (you know its rush's sound) and very melodic songwriting. Past albums have an emphasis on some particular aspect, but for me not as balanced...and as strong as on c.a.

So considering the methods, is C.A. The best example of rush's particular songwriting approach, honed at this stage of their career - doesn't necessarily mean, is it their best record. Excluding sonic and any other particulars, that mar peoples view of the album, whats your take?

c2bfree

I agree that this album is much more balanced than the previous two. S & A was missing that quality musicianship that permeates their older albums. This is definately RUSH at their best!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 16 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Jun 16 2012, 12:48 PM)

C.A. in my ears, is a strong and amazing record, brimming with the combination of rush dynamics- virtuoso playing  (you know its rush's  sound) and very melodic songwriting.  Past albums have an emphasis on some particular aspect, but for me not as balanced...and as strong as on c.a.

c2bfree

I agree that this album is much more balanced than the previous two. S & A was missing that quality musicianship that permeates their older albums. This is definately RUSH at their best!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 16 2012, 03:11 PM)
Thing is, this album isn't always "very melodic." Large swaths of songs are very crunchy...think Vapor Trails. Not that that's a bad thing, I loved VT and I similarly love CA.

I believe you might be thinking of the guitars and in that sense I agree with you. However, the Bass and most of the vocals are much more melodic than in the past two album. I think they finally figured out what it is they wanted to accomplished composition wise in Clockwork Angels which had eluded them with the previous two. Even though S & A was a very well written album it lacked that essential musicianship we expect from RUSH. On CA they have a fine balance between all the elements we expect from a RUSH album.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 16 2012, 09:22 PM)
Thing is, this album isn't always "very melodic." Large swaths of songs are very crunchy...think Vapor Trails. Not that that's a bad thing, I loved VT and I similarly love CA.

I believe you might be thinking of the guitars and in that sense I agree with you. However, the Bass and most of the vocals are much more melodic than in the past two album. I think they finally figured out what it is they wanted to accomplished composition wise in Clockwork Angels which had eluded them with the previous two. Even though S & A was a very well written album it lacked that essential musicianship we expect from RUSH. On CA they have a fine balance between all the elements we expect from a RUSH album.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

yep, whenever i think melody, its about the vocal lines...

Ca. is an amazing showcase of rush's music. The amazing balance of both their exciting virtuoso playing and the melodies, has rarely been better

or stronger.

At this stage in their career, something has come together in their unorthodox writing approach...After nearly 40 yrs, it seems to be approaching perfection for me....What a ride!

2.gif

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Jun 17 2012, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 16 2012, 09:22 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

yep, whenever i think melody, its about the vocal lines...

Ca. is an amazing showcase of rush's music. The amazing balance of both their exciting virtuoso playing and the melodies, has rarely been better

or stronger.

At this stage in their career, something has come together in their unorthodox writing approach...After nearly 40 yrs, it seems to be approaching perfection for me....What a ride!

2.gif

This is a spot on analysis. Who would have thought we'd get something of this magnitude at this stage of their career? Much of the credit goes to the band of course, however Nick was key in bringingthis effort out of them. God I pray they continue to utilize him as a resource. He reminded them that It's ok to sound like themselves.

2.gif

trink39.gif