Vapor Trails

BriGuy

First - I really like Vapor Trails.

I have a burned copy and want to get a "real" CD. I did that for Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows this week.

But... should I get a copy now, or wait for the remaster? Is it coming? Do we know for sure? Any idea when?

Worth having the reg version anyway, flaws and all? It'll probably at least come in a real jewel case, with the lyrics booklet. Who knows what the remaster will be like, if it comes at all.

With a new album out, I don't think that Rush is focused on a remaster of a 10-year-old album at the moment.

I'd buy a copy if you really like the music. Otherwise, just wait.

Do you have Rush In Rio on CD yet? That has a lot of Vapor Trails songs on it (5, I think) and the live versions sound really good to me.

Don't have the Rio CD. I have the DVD, tho. I should look into that.

Usually prefer studio versions over live versions - I don't need to hear the audience cheering - so my live recording collection is slim, just Time Machine and S&A. But Rio could be worth it for the VT songs.

Might go ahead and get VT now, along with the only two studio releases I'm missing - the first, and Caress of Steel.

I'd buy it. One of my very fave Rush albums, I can't seem to get enough of it! People complain about the 'brick-walled mastering', but honestly, I like it, though not everyone would agree with me. I'm actually not looking forward to a re-release, as the fan-remixed versions I've heard have just sounded lacking compared the original album. Go for it! smile.gif

I may check that out. Guess I'll need a flac player however. Never messed with such files.

Sure they're safe?

In the meantime, I went and ordered Vapor Trails. Also grabbed the only other studio albums I didn't have, the original and Caress of Steel. Got all three for virtually free, thanks to some credit card cash back. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 15 2012, 02:39 PM)
I may check that out. Guess I'll need a flac player however. Never messed with such files.

Sure they're safe?

In the meantime, I went and ordered Vapor Trails. Also grabbed the only other studio albums I didn't have, the original and Caress of Steel. Got all three for virtually free, thanks to some credit card cash back. biggrin.gif

Yes, they're safe. One of the guys that worked on this remastering project is none other than Music in The Abstract-a member of this forum. They managed to strip-out most of the digital clipping from the original recording and make it a lot less fatiguing ears.

From the Alex Lifeson interview in the CA fanpack:

"Our plan is to remix it. We've always planned to remix it, for years; our sound engineer, Rich Chycki, is working on that right now. It's our intention to have it as a bonus on the release of this album."

That did not happen obviously, but there is another mention in the fanpack specifically in the VT section of the discography:

"At the time of writing, it's being remixed from scratch, and the eventual reissue may sound much clearer by comparison."

I would wait if I were you.

Just set myself up with a flac player. Man, Secret Touch sounds so much better!

Any way to get these in a version I can put in iTunes so I can have it on my iPod? I listen to that in my car.

I am SO loving this!

Edited by BriGuy

Right or wrong, good or bad, first flac player I got and was able to use was foobar2000.

I used it to convert the flac files to wav files. For each one, it said there were "major problems." I haven't listened to every song all the way through, but I haven't noticed any problems in what I've listened to so far.

I imported the wav files into iTunes, and all seems well so far.

Am I good?

EDIT

Yes, I am a noob.

Using iTunes to convert the wav files to aac files, so they're not such space hogs on my 16gb nano. Still sounding good to me. And still have the flac files on my pc.

Any advice still appreciated.

Edited by BriGuy

Just buy the regular VT now. Rush has been going back and forth over the remix/remaster of VT for years now: "It's being worked on now, it's not being worked on anymore, we're going to finish it soon, we're no longer thinking about it...." Can't get a straight answer from Ged or Alex. If it ever gets finished, it won't be for a long time.

I bought it and will have it very soon.

But with how good the "fan" remastered version sounds, I doubt I'll ever play it. At least I'll have the booklet and official CD, I guess.

My quick-and-dirty conversion from flac-wav-aac sounds good to me on my iPod in my car. Listened to all of VT that way, and didn't hear any faults, and it sounds better.

Thanks for pointing that out! I never would've known about it otherwise.